Gardens 2021

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For those of you that have a green house, what size do you have or recommend for a new one? The wife isn't sure what size she wants.
My greenhouse is 8 feet by 16 feet, on the inside. the walls are 6 inches thick. It is 4 feet below ground level. The bottom part is concrete. The A frame top is made from clear insulated panels and extends 7 feet above ground. It has 6 stairs. It really helps me get an early start because it stays warmer than an above ground one. The night time temperatures are low 20's. The lower level hasn't got below 35. Tomatoes, peppers. and squash are thriving now.

That is a bummer. My spinach and lettuces grow in the greenhouse, not outside, so that's a help. Our son the nurseryman brought some giant kale seeds when he came to visit recently for me to plant outside. I'm not a fan of kale, but it's animal feed. I was thinking for chickens and turkeys, not squirrels.

My chickens love kale and it is a great crop to grow in cold weather. Some years here it lasts all winter.

Absolutely!! If I could only show you all a video from my garden!! When it only rains a little bit, you can no longer "walk" across the yard!! Every step you take must be planned and with care that you do not step on a rainworm...hundreds of them come out in the rain and COVER the ground so that each step must be careful not to step on one of them....

I ended up replanting my bush peas. When I got home from work, it turns out it was more like 50% loss from yesterday evening. They were at the point of flowering and so many just the top parts were eaten off of. I am not even sure why I replanted since the heat and humidity is coming soon. I also replanted both 50ft rows of green beans. Half gome last night and by the time I got home from work I only had 1 green bean plant left. . . Pissed me off so bad. Planted a bed of peanuts and a bed of purple hulls. Hunny called me to say he needed to go pick up his cylinder a couple towns over and asked if I wanted to go. And stop buy the Farm and Ranch because he knew I was in search for some fruit trees. He ended up going to his guy first, which kinda ticked me off since we only had 30 minutes before the Farm and Ranch store closed. The guy was super nice, doing odd jobs from him his home. We started talking and he asked me if I had even seen a peanut butter tree. . . My curiosity was up. He said rub your fingers on the underside of the leaf and then smell your fingers. OMGoodness! I never heard of this tree but it smelt just like peanut butter!! He made a suggestion of us stopping by a local nursery right down the road since they were open later this evening. Very impressive!! Ended up getting a couple apple trees for warmer climates, a couple blueberries, a dewberry, a fig tree, and a couple different grapes.

Carrot bed weeded. I have 1 more raised bed to rework but it started raining yesterday and in the forecast for several days. Plum and peach blossoms are dropping and am curious to see if the last cold snap got all the fruit. Little cherries on the Nanking cherries. Blooming right now cornelian cherries and the service berry (Saskatoon/Juneberry) are getting ready to bloom. The new blackberry plants I planted have survived and are leafing out. Highbush cranberry, currants and gooseberries are leafing good now. Blueberries loaded with blooms. Pawpaw and elderberry are starting to open buds. Still want to separate some rhubarb crowns. Hoping to get some mustard greens and cylindra beets planted this week in one of the boxes.

It's a few days early in TN, but I tilled and planted some seeds today. I don't buy plants so the seedsame are safer if there is a late frost.

I planted Ford Hook butter beans for the first time. I planted speckled once and my thumbs were so sore from shelling I decided against doing again. Now, I'm needing some for seed in case of SHTF.

It's a few days early in TN, but I tilled and planted some seeds today. I don't buy plants so the seedsame are safer if there is a late frost.

I planted Ford Hook butter beans for the first time. I planted speckled once and my thumbs were so sore from shelling I decided against doing again. Now, I'm needing some for seed in case of SHTF.
I have done the speckled butter beans before. Easiest way for me to shell was let them dry out on the vine and then just "hopefully" crack it open. . . Didnt always turn out that way though. I eventually got a hand cranked Mr Pea Sheller. It worked alright on them. My favorite thing though was to load up all my beans up and go visit my friend down the road who has a commercial Mr Pea Sheller. Done in no time!!

Today we got my fence around the garden put back up!! So excited for that one. Hunny did install a side gate for me now located on the house side, which I will admit was a nice new addition. The bad thing was he expanded the fence line on one side before I got home from work and now have to go into the garden to turn on and off sprinklers, but I am ok with that one. No more bunnys eating all my green beans and peas.

Does anyone here have any experience with a pull behind rototiler, the kind you pull behind an ATV? My tractor is too big for our garden, or as the wife says, the garden is too small. We have a walk behind tiller (still buried in the snow) that needs to be manhandled to till our garden, which is on a slope. It just about wears me out.

Latest posts

Back