Gardens 2021

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Look what I found. Come on Spring

IMG_20210209_120825_796.jpg

I've got some leeks and spring onions started inside under lights, this weekend I'll probably do some stuff for the cold frame- cilantro, spinach, chard, kale.

Probably start hot peppers and eggplant inside this weekend, too.

I began pruning fruit trees today. Still have several days to go though, with grape vines next. Went into the greenhouse today and it’s overgrown big time. About the same shape as the garden. I had de limbed a black walnut tree a while back and just today got everything picked up from it. I raked up all the leaves and walnuts filling three loader scoops for the burn pit. Got a bunch of firewood added to the stacks too. I’m hoping I got it all up as it poisons the soil and there are plumb and fig trees close by. I will drop the tree soon and take it to the local saw mill to turn it into boards for furniture later on. First day I’ve done any yard work in a while here. It’s hard to get time from work lately so I appreciated it today, even if my back didn’t.

I began pruning fruit trees today. Still have several days to go though, with grape vines next. Went into the greenhouse today and it’s overgrown big time. About the same shape as the garden. I had de limbed a black walnut tree a while back and just today got everything picked up from it. I raked up all the leaves and walnuts filling three loader scoops for the burn pit. Got a bunch of firewood added to the stacks too. I’m hoping I got it all up as it poisons the soil and there are plumb and fig trees close by. I will drop the tree soon and take it to the local saw mill to turn it into boards for furniture later on. First day I’ve done any yard work in a while here. It’s hard to get time from work lately so I appreciated it today, even if my back didn’t.
The walnut trees poison from the drip line too and as far as the roots spread.

The walnut trees poison from the drip line too and as far as the roots spread.
Yeah, that’s a really neat defense mechanism but I don’t want it in my yard. This tree is about 14” across at the base so I’m hoping it was young enough to not ruin the soil there too much. I used a garden rake to remove multiple layers of old walnuts from the dirt. The tree will be felled soon.

Brent, I'm almost positive I read that the poison reaches 100 ft from the drip line. That covers a lot of soil. I cut 3 about 15 years ago because they had poisoned a garden. I didn't know about the juglone and would have great looking tomatoes and potatoes then they would just die. I'm happy I finally got the proper info and moved my tomatoes to other spots.

You can still grow lots of veggies though just so they aren't night shade plants.

Just cut down the walnut tree and burned the stump into the ground with 6 hours of firewood and then covered it with stones and dirt so it would keep smouldering for a few more hours. Have turned and tilled the garden twice thus far with mulch, straw, manure, sawdust and ashes. Will be starting the seedlings myself and then plant out in the garden. Some next week and the rest at the end of March. Cucumbers, squash, potatoes, tomatos, sweet corn, garlic, onions, green and yellow beans, pumpkins and watermelons...can't wait. Building a 10ft X 15ft tool and garden stuff shed in March also, will concrete the slab under the trailer, turn the present pigpen into a chicken coop with the proper wire and start on a
15ft X 20ft terrace later this spring after planting is done...GP

If there are any still available I would suggest ordering them. What little I ordered I ordered in December. You may find some in the packets locally if it is not something specialized but even those are picked over here. Gonna be another year of farm shortages looks like. Last year I saved as many seeds as possible and will continue that practice.

Just cut down the walnut tree and burned the stump into the ground with 6 hours of firewood and then covered it with stones and dirt so it would keep smouldering for a few more hours. Have turned and tilled the garden twice thus far with mulch, straw, manure, sawdust and ashes. Will be starting the seedlings myself and then plant out in the garden. Some next week and the rest at the end of March. Cucumbers, squash, potatoes, tomatos, sweet corn, garlic, onions, green and yellow beans, pumpkins and watermelons...can't wait. Building a 10ft X 15ft tool and garden stuff shed in March also, will concrete the slab under the trailer, turn the present pigpen into a chicken coop with the proper wire and start on a
15ft X 20ft terrace later this spring after planting is done...GP

Sounds like you have your work cut out for you Gary.

If there are any still available I would suggest ordering them. What little I ordered I ordered in December. You may find some in the packets locally if it is not something specialized but even those are picked over here. Gonna be another year of farm shortages looks like. Last year I saved as many seeds as possible and will continue that practice.

I saved lots of seeds, but wanted to have a good supply. Beans seem to be really short. People must be getting smart as to the take care of your family prepping strategy.

We have a small, family owned feed store that sells seeds by the scoop. I think I'll go there Monday morning and stock up on what they have.

Latest posts

Back