Gardens 2021

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Something that has helped me was researching each vegetable and herb I was going to plant. I did it by my growing zone and then printed out everything and put in a binder. Then I consolidated important information onto index cards. I keep those in the greenhouse and refer to them when needed...like growing temperature ranges...type and how much fertilizer...soil pH...days until harvest, etc.

Started pulling the dreaded Mulberry Weed that is in the Leon garden where I am going to plant strawberries. There arent too manynof them there. I put in a pile and added straw and burned the little buggers.

I checked the lower garden and they are taking over the blackberries. That will be harder ti clear. I think i will burn the gardens as much as possible, but cant get close to fence because I have a row of nylon fencing to catch snakes.

This stuff is a menace.

Picking cabbage and started making kraut. Cleaned off all the pepper plants and started freezing them up. Chunked some tomatoes, peppers, garlic, onions and a bunch of chopped up basil and put in the crockpot for this weekend. Pasta maybe for Sunday dinner. Picked about a dozen cucumbers and think this will probably be the last . The small ones remaining on the vines don't seem to be sizing up anymore so I will pull the vines. Mustard greens are about ready to pick and my fall carrots are coming along nicely. Shelling dried green beans for seeds. Tomato and squash seeds already drying. Still picking figs.

Supper is Italian sausages smothered in onions and peppers.

I pulled my melon vines today and had 5 the size of baseballs. Was going to give to chickens. They are 2 of the best melons ever. I was shocked. They are Sugar Baby variety. They are a small melon but not this small. Im saving seed since they seem to like soil. I will fertilize more next year to get them larger.

The cows and deer wiped out our strawberry plants. We had snow 2 days ago and frost most every day for a week now. The wife has been doing a lot of canning, hamburger, beans etc.
When I get some of my projects done I'll start pulling out the fence around the garden. We'll move the garden in to the orchard in raised beds and the strawberries up by the house, also in raised beds.

Same problem here, bought some watermelon plants at the local market and planted also Butternut pumpkins...blooms, bees, growing but not one melon or pumpkin. maybe next year...

Have your temperatures been excessively hot or cooler than normal. Sounds like your blooms are not setting. Sometimes temperatures can cause that.

I pulled my melon vines today and had 5 the size of baseballs. Was going to give to chickens. They are 2 of the best melons ever. I was shocked. They are Sugar Baby variety. They are a small melon but not this small. Im saving seed since they seem to like soil. I will fertilize more next year to get them larger.

Robin our melons did not do well this year either. I think it was just a bad year for melons. Ours were small and many of the blooms just did not set. It was a very cool and wet summer for us. We were late to warm up and have already cooled off.

We like the small melons also and grow a small yellow heirloom melon similar to sugar baby that does well most years. We also grow an heirloom cantaloupe called Minnesota Midget that is perfect for 2 people and gets really sweet.

I would like to start gardening ASAP ( If I'm not too late???)
Can anyone recommend any good hard copy books for beginners with BLACK thumbs? 🥴
My growing zone is a blend of 5b,6a,6b...
My potential grow area is approximately 55x133
Will I be able to use my unheated garage for any use during the winter for prep of any kind?
I'd like to start with raised garden bed cold-frames. Seems like that would be a good use of the land for the weather we have here in O-H-I-O.
I will eat any vegetable or fruit put in front of me. They are all delicious.

Thank you for any info, I am much appreciative.
With respect,
Erqueen75:USA:
My wife has always gardened on the Darwin Theory.
We had a couple of bought artichokes plants that never produced. They grew well for 3-4 years
We moved, had a random plant in the middle of a pathway that produced for 2 years. The second year they were 6 ft tall. And produced 30-40 artichoke. This year NADA. And I let them go to seed.
I have spent this year of drought reorganizing our garden situation, so that it easier for my small statured wife to reach things. I put in a lot of pony poop. I think it should be good next year.
At our last house, we replaced two tiers of 20 yr old rose bushes with a succulent garden. It grew extremely well with the pony poop I didn’t tell my wife I tilled in.

Am planting my garlic this week. Going to put compost, aged cow manure, Fish Bonemeal and aged chicken poo on them. Crossing my fingers they do well! 🤞 What does everyone use for fertilizer on their garlic?
My garlic died down and I forgot where I had planted. I guess I'll wait till next year. I saw some sprouts coming up and dug them. Have a few small cloves to enjoy.

I finished transplanting strawberries. I ran out of room until something else @is finished for the season.

Initially planted 50 bare roots and they were really prolific. I just transplanted 100 or so plants and am not even 1/2 way finished. I had already snipped 75 or so runners to give away and the person never picked them up and they perished in the hurricane remnants.

I am very concerned about our ability to purchase fruits in the Spring and want to make the most of what I have.

Have your temperatures been excessively hot or cooler than normal. Sounds like your blooms are not setting. Sometimes temperatures can cause that.
Had excessively hot temps here.
Tomato plants grew like crazy and just now getting fruit. I pulled out my cucumber plants as they were ready, and have 2 buckets of cukes now! Time for more pickles.

I want to plant garlic for the new place, when is it planted- I believe fall correct? Was thinking to make a box and plant some garlic in it so I can take it with me to the new place in spring.

Had excessively hot temps here.
Tomato plants grew like crazy and just now getting fruit. I pulled out my cucumber plants as they were ready, and have 2 buckets of cukes now! Time for more pickles.

I want to plant garlic for the new place, when is it planted- I believe fall correct? Was thinking to make a box and plant some garlic in it so I can take it with me to the new place in spring.

Now is the time to plant garlic. It is planted now and harvested in late spring or early summer depending on variety. Elephant garlic is different though and can be planted in spring.

Now is the time to plant garlic. It is planted now and harvested in late spring or early summer depending on variety. Elephant garlic is different though and can be planted in spring.
Thanks DD, I'll get right on that!

I finished transplanting strawberries. I ran out of room until something else @is finished for the season.

Initially planted 50 bare roots and they were really prolific. I just transplanted 100 or so plants and am not even 1/2 way finished. I had already snipped 75 or so runners to give away and the person never picked them up and they perished in the hurricane remnants.

I am very concerned about our ability to purchase fruits in the Spring and want to make the most of what I have.

I consider myself very fortunate that I have gotten my fruit and berry plantings in long before all this happened. Have you seen the price on new fruit trees. Geez! I have more planted than we will ever be able to eat. I strongly suggest if you are buying fruit trees or seeds to order them way early or you probably won't get them.

Latest posts

Back