Gardens 2021

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would like to start gardening ASAP ( If I'm not too late???)
Can anyone recommend any good hard copy books for beginners with BLACK thumbs? 🥴
My growing zone is a blend of 5b,6a,6b...
My potential grow area is approximately 55x133
Will I be able to use my unheated garage for any use during the winter for prep of any kind?
I'd like to start with raised garden bed cold-frames. Seems like that would be a good use of the land for the weather we have here in O-H-I-O.
I will eat any vegetable or fruit put in front of me. They are all delicious.

Thank you for any info, I am much appreciative.
With respect,
Erqueen75:USA:

My strawberries seem to do better if I transplant them every year. Maybe it's my imagination.

Strawberries are grown in different ways in different parts of the country. In south Louisiana they are planted every year and grown as an annual usually under black plastic although when I was a kid there I can still remember when they actually used straw. This is due to heat and disease pressure usually fungal from heat and humidity.

As you progress farther north they are grown as a true perennial. Planted one year and the runners removed allowing the plant to size up. Peak production usually the second year and then the runners allowed to produce in year 3. Replanting is recommended every 3 years.

Can anyone recommend any good hard copy books for beginners with BLACK thumbs? 🥴
Will I be able to use my unheated garage for any use during the winter for prep of any kind?
I'd like to start with raised garden bed cold-frames. Seems like that would be a good use of the land for the weather we have here in O-H-I-O.

With respect,

An excellent PDF from the University of Kentucky on home gardening. One of the best that I have seen IMHO. I suggest printing out and putting in a binder even though it is 56 pages.

http://www2.ca.uky.edu/agcomm/pubs/id/id128/id128.pdf

It's in my strawberries mostly and there isn't room between it and the plants to put cardboard. I may have to dig up all berries and remove the weeds then replant. That will be a pain. Yep, those things can reproduce up to 4 times per season.

Yep and many weed seeds can remain viable for 7 years average. What I would do is remove the crop to a different bed. Lay something over the bed such as carboard, tin or old carpet to block sun all winter. Once spring rolls around I put clear plastic over the bed and leave it on for abut 6 weeks in the heat. Basically it cooks the soil with the heat killing weed seeds near the surface. Then apply a compost or mulch to the top a couple inches deep and replant. do not turn the soil to turn any seeds back up to the top.

I guess I could move the strawberries to the Leon garden and pray they survive. I have watermelon and cantelope there now. I dont have much luck with melons. Its the newest garden and isnt prepped very well. It is mostly clay soil. It also isnt covered like the other bed to protect from squirrels. Dang I have my work cut out for me. Country slang there.

I seeded and strawed (is that a word?) where they dug for the septic line. Im getting back to my fighting weight after being lazy during all the rainy days. The man definitely oversold me on straw. Said I would need 20 bales and I used 10. I'm seeding bare spots so I'll use some there and I'll save some for mulch. I had a nastly weed ride in inside a bale once. I hope this is clean.

With respect,

Something like this is a good option.

https://www.foodrising.org/How-to-Make-Your-Own-Food-Rising-Mini-Farm-Grow-Box-Part-1.html

My strawberries seem to do better if I transplant them every year. Maybe it's my imagination.

My family grew strawberries for commercial use while I was growing up. We did not replant more than every few years. I believe replanting every year depends on 1) the location/growing zone. And 2) type of berry plant.

I guess I could move the strawberries to the Leon garden and pray they survive. I have watermelon and cantelope there now. I dont have much luck with melons. Its the newest garden and isnt prepped very well. It is mostly clay soil. It also isnt covered like the other bed to protect from squirrels. Dang I have my work cut out for me. Country slang there.

Ditto on the darn melons! Perhaps someone could clue me in on what I did wrong. Planted them in the greenhouse to sprout and then replanted in the garden when it was warm enough. They grew very nicely and flowered and flowered. None ever grew a single melon.

Last edited:

With respect,

Unless you have a heated greenhouse in Ohio you are too late. What area are you in? I’m an Ohio girl. :D Coldframes can work for cold tolerant vegetables...if you can keep the snow off them.

O-H-I-O. GO BUCKS!

Unless you have a heated greenhouse in Ohio you are too late. What area are you in? I’m an Ohio girl. :D Coldframes can work for cold tolerant vegetables...if you can keep the snow off them.

O-H-I-O. GO BUCKS!
I am up here in the north...☃❄⛷
I lived in Georgia for 3 years while we were stationed at MCB Albany.
Some good food there!!!

ERQueen, I would use the fall and winter to get organized. If you are doing raised beds, get those built. Get your seeds, and if you're using bagged soil to fill or buying fertilizer, you can get that now, too. Plan out what you are putting in the ground, and get your seeds lined up, and read the packages to see what gets planted when.. All that stuff takes time, and it's easer to do now rather than waiting till spring.
If you want to grow something for fun to eat right now, get a sprout jar and grow some sprouts for your salad in the kitchen.

Latest posts

Back