Gardens 2021

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While picking tomatos a few days ago, the wife yelled: RAT! and pointed at a stack of firewood. I did not see anything but found a large hole that was not there before...set a rat trap and loaded it with some bacon. It has been sprung 5 times since but never with anything in it. Maybe time for a bit of diesel and a slow grill party in the hole?? Wait for it to pop up from another hole...
Pumkins, potatos and carrots are still growing. Eggplants are twice the size of softballs and the 7 ft tall sunflowers are slowly being picked clean by the birds who found out the seeds were ripe...it is fun to watch them hanging upside down and eating.
Best friend from Germay is driving the 1000 kilometers/600 mile trip and is coming today to visit for the first time, plans to stay a few days and get drunk on moonshine and homemade wine...yee-haa. Live free, Gary

A while back we found an Owl in the chicken house. It had killed many chickens. It only ate the heads and gizzards. We caught him in a fish net and took him for a long drive. When we came back he was in the chicken house committing more murders. Took him for a very long drive. Never seen him again.

The garden is just about done. The wife has been drying and dehydrating a lot of vegetables and tomatoes. I've got a ton of hot peppers that I'm drying. We have some blackberries, raspberries and grapes that we need to pick.
Its supposed to get below freezing by Monday with possible snow. I guess thats normal for September.

My little yellow tomatoes are still producing like crazy. The vines are up to 10 feet long.
Every time I go to pick my over abundant okra, I see a few more beans. I planted the same amount of okra as last year, but it is producing so much more than then. Even my neighbors are tired of okra.
Today I see Found enough beans for Friday steak night. I cooked them with squash and potatoes.

Got so many tomatos we are still giving some away. The last of the potatos are doing well, the eggplants also. Watching the pumpkins grow daily and the birds are enjoying eating the sunflower seeds direct from the plants. Gonna make a big veggie soup tomorrow from only things from the garden and then make a big pot of bean stew for the neighbors and ourselves.

Mid 30's this morning. The garden is about over. The wife dried a bunch of tomatoes and other things. I’ve been making a lot of hot pepper sauce.
Still have some apples, plums and blackberries to pick. Got a few grapes and raspberries coming on.
Later this fall I'm going to pull out all the fencing around the garden/orchard area and replace it with an 8' high fence. Also going to move the garden in with the orchard and all in steel raised beds. That way the garden gets watered when we water the fruit trees. Should save us a lot of fuel. We'll move most of the herbs and strawberries up by the house too.

Mid 30's this morning. The garden is about over. The wife dried a bunch of tomatoes and other things. I’ve been making a lot of hot pepper sauce.
Still have some apples, plums and blackberries to pick. Got a few grapes and raspberries coming on.
Later this fall I'm going to pull out all the fencing around the garden/orchard area and replace it with an 8' high fence. Also going to move the garden in with the orchard and all in steel raised beds. That way the garden gets watered when we water the fruit trees. Should save us a lot of fuel. We'll move most of the herbs and strawberries up by the house too.
I am dehydrating some tomatoes now. Add some garlic salt and my son is in heaven.

I'm stick getting a bucket full of heirloom red cherry tomatoes each day, so the dehydrator is running all the time. I cut them in half. Peppers. Tons of hot peppers.
I got my stock tanks ready to seed green beans tomorrow. Also filled 10 large pots in the greenhouse to seed lettuce and spinach.

I'm stick getting a bucket full of heirloom red cherry tomatoes each day, so the dehydrator is running all the time. I cut them in half. Peppers. Tons of hot peppers.
I got my stock tanks ready to seed green beans tomorrow. Also filled 10 large pots in the greenhouse to seed lettuce and spinach.
I squeeze out all od the juice and seeds, warm it, add salt a drink. Love hot tomatoes.

I'm stick getting a bucket full of heirloom red cherry tomatoes each day, so the dehydrator is running all the time.
Great idea, forgot the dehydrator I inherited from my son after he got larger one for making his beef jerky...gonna dry some tomatos in the coming days.
I could use some tips of storage and usage tho, thanks for any tips, Gary

This year because of drought, we have been planning a revamped set of beds. The 3 4x12 raised beds were just to large for my small statured wife to deal with.
I reorganized it to 30 in deep U shaped around the fenced area. Just have to sink a couple gate posts and finish the fencing on that one side.
i expect it to be pretty good next year. The Crap dirt I have to work with is 50/50 with pony poop for a year.
I do expect putting in another drip system next year.

Dried tomato storage....i put them in a gallon ziplock, them put them in a number 10 can with a lid.
You can grind it up for tomato powder. Tomato powder can be used to make tomato paste or tomato sauce, depending on how much water you add. Or you can pop pieces of dried tomato in soups or stews and they will rehydrate. Or you can eat them dried.

We still have hot weather, so the tomatoes and peppers are still growing strong, and the marigold perimeter is still in bloom. Have seeded more green beans, beets, and carrots. Will get to the lettuce and spinach soon.

Latest posts

Back