Gardens 2021

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have a new garden pest for me to eliminate; snowshoe rabbits. We have a pair of them hanging around the barn and garden area. I was going to shoot them but instead the wife wants me to trap them and put them in a cage so she can make pets out of them. Right, and soon we'd have 20 of them. I have to admit they are fun to watch and they have no fear of us. They should be good eating......

Last edited:
High today forecasted 87degrees. Picking green beans, squash and beets today early to hopefully beat the heat. Will can green beans and pickle beets.

Fourth of July chicks doing well but separated chicks and old hen from flock because of a large snake lurking about out there around them.

Large container of plums picked up and cleaned and frozen. Picked black currants as well and are freezing on sheets. Picked blackberries and made a gooseberry and blackberry crisp for the holidays.

Finished painting woodshed.

Rain chance Wednesday and Thursday. Hope we get it.

3:30 this morning Mr. DD was shooting rabbits out of the bean patch. 50 yard shot hit both rabbits with clean head shots, half asleep with no glasses. Not bad for a guy in his 70's. Guess that cataract surgery was successful:D

(Using the little 410 he bought 40 years ago to teach the boys to shoot with )

Both cleaned and in the freezer.

Hooray. And not eating your beans.
I'm battling squash buns, and although I can't shoot them, the food grade DE is working ok.

I hate squash bugs! try throwing some cut dill around them. I interplant dill with my squash because I think they don't like the smell. No squash bugs so far for me.....knock on wood :D

Japanese beetles are another story.

I hate squash bugs! try throwing some cut dill around them. I interplant dill with my squash because I think they don't like the smell. No squash bugs so far for me.....knock on wood :D

Since I am growing my squash vertically, I'm not having any squash bugs. Knock on wood.

My gooseberries are already gone and I will have maybe one or two pints of blackberries.
Gooseberries, I only know of one person down here that grows them, an old farmer living in the suburbs. He makes jam from the leaves -I think- and jelly from the ball in the middle? Unless I am confusing that with his Rosella fruit. He also has a kumquat tree and makes jam out of that too. Vile things to eat off the branch but stewed up with lots of sugar they are great :)

The Japanese beetles love my beans. Those little boogers are always doing the dance with no pants. I never see singles.

Yep! Soups, stews, casseroles. I also shred the zucchini before dehydrating and can rehydrate to make zucchini bread. I can't tell the difference after it's baked. Just unloaded a dehydrator full of kale this morning. Loaded it back up with sliced zucchini, yellow summer squash, and patty pan squash. I loaded a different dehydrator with sage, a second cutting. I think I have alot more cuttings to do with that.

Latest posts

Back