Gardens 2021

Prepper & Survivalism Forum

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

DirtDiva

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
Picked a couple heads of cabbage last week and chopped and froze in vacuum bags for vegetable soup this winter. Still have cabbage out there for kraut and fresh eating. Will make some cabbage rolls to freeze too. Picked 2 big laundry baskets of mustard greens this morning early to beat the heat. Will blanch and put in freezer as well. Also want to can some greens too.

DrHenley

Top Poster
Global Moderator
Reaction score
80-90 degrees here yesterday.
When you have experienced 80-90 degrees at night - with 85% relative humidity - get back with us about your thoughts about sleeping without AC. That's what I grew up with in the summer. And I don't want to ever ever go back.
Swamp coolers?

That just pushes the humidity to 100% relative humidity...without lowering the temperature.

robinjopo

A True Doomsday Prepper
VIP Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's gonna be another warm one today. When I get up around 4:30 a.m. it's been in the 70s for days. That's not good for vegetable blooms. They need cool at night.

Last edited:

Amish Heart

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
Swamp coolers work in low humidity, like in New Mexico. They do not work where I live, where last week we did have 80 percent humidity and highs in the 90's, and not much cooler in the night. Thank goodness for dehumidifiers.
Am harvesting tons of elephant kale. I don't like it, but husband does. Some for the freezer, some for the dehydrator.

Arcticdude

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
I grew up without AC, in an area that was common to get up to 110 and even 115 on occasion. I lived and worked in the middle east, Afghanistan and central Asia without AC. I survived it but was always uncomfortable and dripping with sweat 24/7. As long as possible I will never be without AC again. Even our side by side has AC.

Danil54grl

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
I grew up without AC, in an area that was common to get up to 110 and even 115 on occasion. I lived and worked in the middle east, Afghanistan and central Asia without AC. I survived it but was always uncomfortable and dripping with sweat 24/7. As long as possible I will never be without AC again. Even our side by side has AC.
I dont blame you at all. . . take advantage where you can Bud. :) We have pups that seem to think that they can open the front door now and A:C everything outside. . . It's not going well with their training.

GaRp58

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
Helena is picking peas again today. The corn is at 3 feet tall now. The onions with seed heads are at 4 feet tall now. The beans and grapes are climbing the poles and the pumpkin creepers are 6 feet long. Onions are larger than pool balls and the watermelon plant is about 6 inches tall so far. Going shopping for more staples for the pantry, don't like the report about the Russians recalling their citizens at all. Gary

robinjopo

A True Doomsday Prepper
VIP Supporting Member
Reaction score
Earlier in the season, We were discussing netting over my berries. I am happy to report that the birds did not eat my gooseberries for the first time. I didn't have many but it wasn't hampered by the birds. I love just eating them off the bush.

DirtDiva

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
Earlier in the season, We were discussing netting over my berries. I am happy to report that the birds did not eat my gooseberries for the first time. I didn't have many but it wasn't hampered by the birds. I love just eating them off the bush.
Mine are not quite ready yet.

Brianna

Reaction score
Got the rest of the mangoes off my trees this week. Now just waiting for all the citrus, guavas, avocados and figs to slowly mature. The Barbados cherry is blooming again.
We're getting so many peppers too. There's enough to eat some, store some and share the rest with the neighbors.

Arcticdude

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
Got the water going in the garden and the orchard this morning. I'll need to start mowing the orchard again soon.
The wife has a water trough in the back yard just for the birds, got to keep that full too. I let a few cows in the yard this morning to eat it down some. Going to be hot again today, maybe 78 degs.

Arcticdude

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
We got up to 36° C today. It was time to go swimming today.
Not sure what 36 c is but swimming always sounds good to me. We have a large wilderness area just north of us. And in it there's a nice alpine lake that I think i can get to with my Jeep. I'll give it a try in a few days.

Latest posts