Gardens 2020

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Doc I think the competition was supposed to be the Tattler type reusable lid. I do not use reusable lids because of all the injuries that have happened with them. Bad burns. After all these years I do not understand all the problems with the Ball company. You would think by now they would have the kinks worked out of that product. I think it is just ways to make the product cheaper and increase their profit margin. Really what competition do they have. They now own Ball, Kerr and Golden Harvest. A monopoly at it's finest!

Doc I think the competition was supposed to be the Tattler type reusable lid. I do not use reusable lids because of all the injuries that have happened with them. Bad burns. After all these years I do not understand all the problems with the Ball company. You would think by now they would have the kinks worked out of that product. I think it is just ways to make the product cheaper and increase their profit margin. Really what competition do they have. They now own Ball, Kerr and Golden Harvest. A monopoly at it's finest!
Some have gone to the walmart Mainstay lids. I've never tried them just saw it on a canning site when I was on FB

We had some electricians out today to hook up our big barn. Two trucks were by the basrn when we finally got back from taking Miss Piggy in this morning. I ended up leashing 2 of the big dogs just in cases to take out for their bathroom break. Then took out the other two, one I leashed just in case (granny's dog and still learning her). While out the second go around, I got a chance to visit with the head guy. He started asking me questions about my garden. Hunny had already told him about my wild asparagus, but he told me his wife had planted some sunflowers but they were not as big as mine when they started drooping. I explained about the different types of sunflowers and told him that what I planted were the Mammoth types. The ones that you would salt to store, but I grow them to feed to my goats. I showed him what mine looked like and was about to harvest. In fact I gave him a few seeds that I rubbed out. I learned hunny had showm him the purple hulls that were ready to get picked. He gave him a few pods. I ended up showing hin the brown crowders too. Gave him a few pods. Explainded that both can be dried and replanted. I so love to find people excited to try new things,

I’ve got a whole box of the mainstays lids and likely have enough to last my lifetime. I have been using them for two or three years now and have never had one loose seal yet. I am pretty careful about inspecting every jar while opening them anyways but would hate to loose the product after all that hard work.

My garden continues to be picked almost daily. I have the dehydrator running almost every day dehydrating onions. Lord I had a bumper crop this year and garlic too. We are picking okra every day and freezing. Still getting squash and zucchini also. Red beans should be ready to pick again soon and more peppers. My paste tomatoes are still not ripe though.

Last edited:
My garden continues to be picked almost daily. I have the dehydrator running almost every day dehydrating onions. Lord I had a bumper crop this year and garlic too. W are picking okra every day and freezing. Still getting squash and zucchini also. Red beans should be ready to pick again soon and more peppers. My paste tomatoes are still not ripe though.

How many garlic bulbs did you get DD? As you know I didn’t plant mine at the proper time, but am going to try again. Since we use so much garlic I want to grow plenty.

I initially started with 25 cloves of 2 different varieties years ago. Both heirloom Italian red and a white. I kept the largest cloves of the one that did best as seed garlic. Years later and I now plant about 200 cloves every year of the red. The rest of the crop either goes into olive oil or I dehydrate to make garlic powder or minced garlic or is used fresh and goes into cooking and ferments. I use so much onions/garlic / peppers in my cooking it rarely goes to waste. I also dehydrate celery to a lesser extent. I also do a basil pesto and dry basil for the kitchen, lemon balm and mint for tea and dill for my ferments.

Just a reminder for those that are interested. First frost here is Oct 15 or about. As summer wanes you might want to top up on any herbs. I collected plantain for herbal salve for bee stings and bug bites. Nectar of the Gods! Peach leaves are frozen in ziploc bags for poultices during the winter. Great as a warm drawing poultice to draw out infections and splinters. Blackberry leaves for tea to treat stomach ailments. And elderberry are ripening here for tinctures to strengthen the immune system. Tip pick the entire head and put them in a paper bag and freeze then tap on counter. The frozen berries will fall off and just remove the stem.

I initially started with 25 cloves of 2 different varieties years ago. Both heirloom Italian red and a white. I kept the largest cloves of the one that did best as seed garlic. Years later and I now plant about 200 cloves every year of the red. The rest of the crop either goes into olive oil or I dehydrate to make garlic powder or minced garlic or is used fresh and goes into cooking and ferments. I use so much onions/garlic / peppers in my cooking it rarely goes to waste. I also dehydrate celery to a lesser extent. I also do a basil pesto and dry basil for the kitchen, lemon balm and mint for tea and dill for my ferments.
I put about a 100 cloves in, in April start of our winter they did really well through the winter and me fingers are itching to get goin in the garden, but I think we will be in for a few more cold fronts coming through.

Heads up! Garlic planting time is almost upon us. When to plant garlic depends on your area. Count 6 to 8 weeks back from your first frost date. That gives your garlic time to put down roots before winter. Remember your garlic will be there until next year so I like to mix in compost and some bone meal to help build roots. Next tip is I soak my garlic cloves in a 5 gallon bucket of water to rehydrate it prior to planting. I also put a light layer of straw over my garlic bed to help conserve moisture and protect the bulbs in the winter. My first frost date is around October 15 so anytime in the next 2 weeks when I get a dry day I will get mine planted.

Heads up! Garlic planting time is almost upon us. When to plant garlic depends on your area. Count 6 to 8 weeks back from your first frost date. That gives your garlic time to put down roots before winter. Remember your garlic will be there until next year so I like to mix in compost and some bone meal to help build roots. Next tip is I soak my garlic cloves in a 5 gallon bucket of water to rehydrate it prior to planting. I also put a light layer of straw over my garlic bed to help conserve moisture and protect the bulbs in the winter. My first frost date is around October 15 so anytime in the next 2 weeks when I get a dry day I will get mine planted.

You are wonderful for this reminder!!!

Latest posts

Back