Gardens 2020

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ball Canning Company has changed their lids once again. Upgraded to be BPA free. Just a heads up you should not warm or simmer these new lids before using per the company.I am seeing lots of complaints that they are not holding their seals and come unsealed within weeks allowing spoilage. Buyer Beware.

This is disturbing to me because ive always simmered them to kill germs.

I set up 2 more raised beds in the garden today and spread out a large pile of manure. The manure covered most of the garden area about 3" thick. If we get any moisture this Fall I'll till it under. We haven't had a drop of rain since the end of June, and not likely to get any rain until October. The last couple of years we got our first snow during the last week of September.
We had a big crop of raspberrys and sweet cherrys. The strawberries didn't produce too good for some reason. We have 2 pie cherry trees that are loaded, wish I knew how to make a pie, and there's a good crop of choke cherrys out in the woods. The bears will love that.
It looks like we'll get lots of apples and some plums in about another month. The blackberrys are starting to turn red, my favorite.
We lost 3 fruit trees this summer; an apple, cherry and a plum. The cherry tree was 3 years old, the other two were planted this spring.

only pumpkin of vegetables ... All vegetables were covered with water from the rain.
IMG_20200731_114907.jpg

---------
there was also a wild strawberry that just grows near the house
IMG_20200731_115049.jpg

--------
last year we caught a snake caterpillar ...
0_19ed30_570d202d_orig.jpg
It is written on the Internet that this is a tropical caterpillar
hahaha. tropical caterpillar in Russia.

2018-08-07-545.jpg

I set up 2 more raised beds in the garden today and spread out a large pile of manure. The manure covered most of the garden area about 3" thick. If we get any moisture this Fall I'll till it under. We haven't had a drop of rain since the end of June, and not likely to get any rain until October. The last couple of years we got our first snow during the last week of September.
We had a big crop of raspberrys and sweet cherrys. The strawberries didn't produce too good for some reason. We have 2 pie cherry trees that are loaded, wish I knew how to make a pie, and there's a good crop of choke cherrys out in the woods. The bears will love that.
It looks like we'll get lots of apples and some plums in about another month. The blackberrys are starting to turn red, my favorite.
We lost 3 fruit trees this summer; an apple, cherry and a plum. The cherry tree was 3 years old, the other two were planted this spring.

My garden has gone wild. I’m not picking anymore and just letting it do it’s thing now. There must be 100lbs of ripe tomatoes right now on the vines. Hopefully the birds and squirrels will enjoy them. I’ve canned more than enough stuff this year. I do still have mellons to pick but that’s all I’m still getting now. Will let some large okra pods dry out for seeds for next year. I still have loads of apples here too but am not going to can them this year. The figs look like they are getting close but not ready yet, along with the grapes for this seasons wines.

Honestly with the time and effort of growing, maintaining, picking and canning I don’t think it is practical for me to do a huge garden right now while times are good. its just so much cheaper to buy stuff at the grocery. Now if I’m right about the economy tanking in the near future I will end up planting a much bigger garden area. Even though I do enjoy fresh home grown vegetables and the preserved stuff I do it has really been more of a learning experience or education for me. I wanted to know that I could produce, preserve and propagate these things for if and when things got tough. Same thing with raising the rabbits, chickens and ducks. At least I know what it takes now to be successful with it. As far as being cost effective, not so much right now.... one thing about being a farmer is you are married to it. Vacations are hard when you have animals. They don’t appreciate you taking a break from the feeding and other chores.

I’m not trying to talk anyone out of doing these things, and strongly recommend that these skills are learned by anyone who believes in the value of prepping. I just don’t see the benefits of growing your own green beans when they are 2.50$ for a large commercial can of them in Walmart right now.

@Brent S It does take a lot of work doing a big garden. I know and mine is not so big compared to others especially if you are still working. You may be right about being able to buy it cheaper at the stores, but I doubt it really. Fertilizer is "free" for me and so is my mulch since it is the throw away hay or wood chips from the county dump (gas, wear and tear). Then I would have to add in the cost of my seed (if not saved from the previous year), water when needed, (but we have a lot of rainfall in our area compared to other parts of the country and our backup is the well) then have to add in fuel cost to process along with jars and lids. You can do a lot in one batch.

BUT the best reason for doing your own is you know exactly what is going into the product you have from seed to whatever your final product is, be it canning, freezing, dehydrating or just plain eating fresh. You choose what is going to go thru your body and not some company, which makes it a much healthier option.

I’m not trying to talk anyone out of doing these things, and strongly recommend that these skills are learned by anyone who believes in the value of prepping. I just don’t see the benefits of growing your own green beans when they are 2.50$ for a large commercial can of them in Walmart right now.
The taste Brent, the taste.

My conspiracy thought of the day. The new canning lids state they are good for 18 months. The old type lasts for decades.

The govt says it's BPA but I think it's because the don't want us to be self sufficient for long. They want us dependent on the government as soon as possible.

Latest posts

Back