Gardens 2020

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My tomatoes were so loaded they bent over the wire cages I had them on. I mean like 90degs, all the way over to the ground. I’m not even going to upright them now. I’m done picking now. Still hundreds of them out there, I figure the rabbits and birds can feast too. I have another huge pot of spaghetti sauce simmering right now to can this evening. It is the last batch I’ll make this year as I’ve got more than we can eat allready. I added a few pieces of okra into the sauce this time as an experiment. I blended it along with the tomatoes until just a purée. I grew the tomatoes, onions, green peppers and okra for this batch. I like okra and tomatoes and think they compliment each other anyways. Honestly the five spears I added will probably be lost in the huge batch I am cooking but I hope it gets a little something from it.

Last edited:
Ball Canning Company has changed their lids once again. Upgraded to be BPA free. Just a heads up you should not warm or simmer these new lids before using per the company.I am seeing lots of complaints that they are not holding their seals and come unsealed within weeks allowing spoilage. Buyer Beware.

Ball Canning Company has changed their lids once again. Upgraded to be BPA free. Just a heads up you should not warm or simmer these new lids before using per the company.I am seeing lots of complaints that they are not holding their seals and come unsealed within weeks allowing spoilage. Buyer Beware.
What I have been doing is just put them in a pot of "hot water" straight from the tap before putting them on my jars. Crossing fingers but so far so good. . .

Great :rolleyes:

I am fortunate that most of my stash are the older lids so I should be good. I think I will continue to pick up the older lids as I run across them just to remain stocked on lids that work.
I also have enough lids on hand, likely for the rest of my life. I still pick up some occasionally. It’s kind of like the toilet paper thing, even though I don’t need more I just feel good about getting a little more! I actually bought a couple dozen if the reusable tattler lids. I haven’t tried them but at least they are on hand if ever needed.

We have tomatoes coming in good alot of the squash and zucchini plants are dying so I tilled that area up today . Also tilled up a area that hasn't been tilled in decades . We find alot of Indian artifacts when working the garden . Hoping the new area has some good ones . The areas we always plant mostly just has chips and broken pieces now .

Most of my squash type plants have died except for a few patty squash and one zucchini, yet the only things I have producing is okra, bell peppers and jalapeno.

I found 3 half eaten green tomatoes on the deck. Damn squirrels. I moved the live trap closer to the damaged tomatoes. Hopefully, they aren't very smart.

Why can't they just eat one tomato instead of parts of many?

I also have the .22 handy in case I feel lucky.

To round out my garden week. Fermented 2 half gallons of cucumber, squash, okra, onion and pepper with lots of garlic and fresh dill. They should ferment for about 10 days and then go in the fridge. Picking cucumbers and yellow squash every other day. Okra every day. Still have red beans that are not quite ready and hoping for next week. Lots of unripe paste tomatoes. No ripe figs yet either. Butterbeans are loaded and just waiting for them to fill out. Picked the last of my green beans yesterday and hope to get snapped today. Pulled them up and gave to the hens. Tomorrow hope to get the fall crops in. Mustard greens, turnips, fall beets and cabbage and a last round of purple hulls. My husband is up to 5 squirrels in the freezer. Happy gardening DD 🙂

Latest posts

Back