Gardens 2020

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We are in Winter here Down Under - I've got cauliflower, onion, cabbage, broccoli and silver beet growing, some in containers.

I have 3 grape vines growing in large pots - they were going great till we had a heat wave that knocked all the small bunched of grapes to fall off and die. I literally had 1 lone grape.
One of my potted blueberry bushes is still flowering and forming fruit. All my other potted plants are pretty dormant, but doing ok.

I experiment a lot with growing seeds from locally produced fruits - I have apricot, peach, nectarine and apple growing. I'm also trying to sprout avocado, and have three mango trees I've grown from seed.

I have also ordered a lot of Native Bush seeds which I hope to grow too as an extra food source.

We are in Winter here Down Under - I've got cauliflower, onion, cabbage, broccoli and silver beet growing, some in containers.

I have 3 grape vines growing in large pots - they were going great till we had a heat wave that knocked all the small bunched of grapes to fall off and die. I literally had 1 lone grape.
One of my potted blueberry bushes is still flowering and forming fruit. All my other potted plants are pretty dormant, but doing ok.

I experiment a lot with growing seeds from locally produced fruits - I have apricot, peach, nectarine and apple growing. I'm also trying to sprout avocado, and have three mango trees I've grown from seed.

I have also ordered a lot of Native Bush seeds which I hope to grow too as an extra food source.

I grow a peach tree that I have grown for the last 25 years. I am on the 3rd generation. I started it from seeds that I got from an organization called Seed Savers Exchange that was formed to help preserve heirloom vegetable, fruit and flowers from going into extinction. The original seed came from an old farmer in Georgia that said they had been growing on his farm for 50 years. Best producing peach I have ever had.

Indian Peach.jpg

I’m getting a few ripe blueberries now but the vast majority are still not close to ripe. I’ve never seen anywhere near this much fruit though. Hope to get twenty or thirty gallons from them. The thornless blackberries are loaded too. I guess all the early rain really made a difference this year. I’m going to have to step up my watering from now on. I meant to pick the garden this evening but finishing my solar project was more on my list. I’ll be out there early tomorrow. I did see a couple tomatoes starting to turn color! Can’t wait for that first vine ripe one. There are hundred reds of green ones of all sizes. I planted about 7 different types of them this year.

I’m getting a few ripe blueberries now but the vast majority are still not close to ripe. I’ve never seen anywhere near this much fruit though. Hope to get twenty or thirty gallons from them. The thornless blackberries are loaded too. I guess all the early rain really made a difference this year. I’m going to have to step up my watering from now on. I meant to pick the garden this evening but finishing my solar project was more on my list. I’ll be out there early tomorrow. I did see a couple tomatoes starting to turn color! Can’t wait for that first vine ripe one. There are hundred reds of green ones of all sizes. I planted about 7 different types of them this year.

I am still a way out on tomatoes too time wise. I got mine in late due to late frosts and freezes. That's okay though I can wait them out as long as I get a good crop.

The fruit situation is the same over here this year. I am looking forward to a bumper plum harvest.

Late frosts??
Likely. I never noticed any fruit on the trees. I’m still pissed about the cherries. They were loaded and the birds wiped them out in one day.... bird stew maybe?
I made it into the garden this morning and got another load of cukes, green beans and squash. I was eyeballing a half ripe tomato but will be patient and let it finish on its own.

Latest posts

Back