Gardens 2020

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Picking gooseberries, green onions and cabbage today. Lots of pop up showers and we had a flood warning last night. Every time I pull something out I plant something in it's place. This is a year with no blank spots and maximum production. Tying up tomatoes and pulling more onions. Busy time despite the rain.

I was shut out for 3 days and now I'm lost. Is there a shout box now?

We have had so much wind and rain. One squash plant brokE off at the stem. 4 rows of beans fell over. Etc. We have had almost 4 inches of rain in 2.5 days. I am getting tons of cucumbers and squash but that's all. I did get 3 ripe blackberries today.

I was shut out for 3 days and now I'm lost. Is there a shout box now?

We have had so much wind and rain. One squash plant brokE off at the stem. 4 rows of beans fell over. Etc. We have had almost 4 inches of rain in 2.5 days. I am getting tons of cucumbers and squash but that's all. I did get 3 ripe blackberries today.

Same here I quit counting at 5 inches. Other than a few limbs no damage though. Blackberries are red. Zukes are sizing up. No squash yet, Beans are blooming big time.

Last edited:
I haven’t been able to do anything in the garden for about a week now due to the business. I hope to go out and pick the football sized cucumbers and squash today. We won’t talk about the weeds, but I mulched a lot and that really does help keep them in check. I hate letting fresh produce go to waste. The local food bank is always greatful for the excess when I can get out to pick it. Most of the cauliflower and broccoli has started to bolt so would like to pull it and plant more beans for canning Today.

I haven’t been able to do anything in the garden for about a week now due to the business. I hope to go out and pick the football sized cucumbers and squash today. We won’t talk about the weeds, but I mulched a lot and that really does help keep them in check. I hate letting fresh produce go to waste. The local food bank is always greatful for the excess when I can get out to pick it. Most of the cauliflower and broccoli has started to bolt so would like to pull it and plant more beans for canning Today.
Looks like more rain today. My weeds are loving it. I mulch with newspaperss, but the rain has made it easy for the weeds to poke through

Ended up canning 15 pints of El Chick sauce yesterday. Still have more tomatoes coming, it's just at a slower pace than before so todays got cooked in the oven once cut up in pieces, cooled and put in the fridge. Hoping in the next couple days to get another full batch of hot sauce. We ha ve been having the high heat these last couple days but we have also been having a nice breeze which helps and with the dust moving thru the sun has not been so intense. I am watering the garden again and will finish that up tomorrow. . . Probably to just start over the next day.. Got a few more cantaloupe this morning. Have to admit they are very good. . . Juicy and sweet. Kept my seeds for next year after cutting the one up today.

Just have to wait and see. I would follow directions. What variety of grape are you growing. Some are more resistant to fungal diseases than others. Alot depends on weather too. When I lived in Missouri I fought fungal issues. Thus far here I have not had a problem. I do put a spray on early just when the leaves start breaking and that has been enough. I have Reliance and Concord. I am quite a bit North of you though and higher elevation I imagine.

My biggest problems with grapes right now is Japanese Beetles

Just have to wait and see. I would follow directions. What variety of grape are you growing. Some are more resistant to fungal diseases than others. Alot depends on weather too. When I lived in Missouri I fought fungal issues. Thus far here I have not had a problem. I do put a spray on early just when the leaves start breaking and that has been enough. I have Reliance and Concord. I am quite a bit North of you though and higher elevation I imagine.

I grow several types of muscadin and some Concorde Grapes. I never spray anything on them and they do great here. I had some fancier grapes early on and they all got ripped out due to the high maintenance. My number one thing when thinking about planting anything is does it grow really well here with low maintenance. Of course I killed a lot of plants before coming to this conclusion....

The beetles have started here too. Ugh. We have had rain every single day for a few weeks. It has been unreal. Do you treat with Neem oil in late winter? I have not done so yet. Am considering it after this disaster. I have a lot of Concord and they seem to be doing the worst. Also have some Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon, and Chardonnay. Our elevation here is at 1800 feet. I am in zone 7a.

I picked the gardens today. Had to chunk about 40 huge yellow cucumbers that I let grow too long. Got my first batch of green beans for canning and pulled a few carrots jus for fresh eating. I picked the last of the broccoli and went ahead and pulled those and the cauliflower. I cleaned up the area and planted more green beans. Also weeded some more. By 10am it was allready hot as heck out there. I made a big lunch and lounged in the pool for a bit before working on other projects. I actually had to water for the first time in weeks. We don’t have any high chance of rain for another week here so will start dragging the hose around every morning now.

I grow several types of muscadin and some Concorde Grapes. I never spray anything on them and they do great here. I had some fancier grapes early on and they all got ripped out due to the high maintenance. My number one thing when thinking about planting anything is does it grow really well here with low maintenance. Of course I killed a lot of plants before coming to this conclusion....

Glad to hear your grapes are doing well. We’ve had a lot more rain though. Never had this problem until this year. Do you spray
for bugs or disease?

Picking gooseberries yet again and zucchini. Lots of rain over the last week. Red beans patch #1 is loaded with pods and still blooming. Butter beans and okra were thinned and hoed yesterday. Tied up tomatoes 2 days ago and darn if they don't need it again. Planted more flowers and hubby and I poured a small sidewalk under the arch at the garden gate today. Grapes are absolutely loaded. Blackberries not so much. Those late frosts really hurt them. Hoping for a fall crop. Potato bugs are just about gone between my efforts and the ducks, hoping that is the last of them till next year. Picking Japanese Beetles daily and drowning. Hubby finds it so funny watching me chase beetles with a cane. Me not so much. Elderberry flowers are huge. Black currants are ripe. Another crop of beets to pickle probably next week. Dehydrator full of another load of green onions. Woodshed and chicken shed full of drying garlic and onions. No rest for the wicked.

Latest posts

Back