Gardens 2020

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Our ground is so hard I couldn't get the pitchfork into it. I planted some seeds in the cracks where thE ground is so dry. Hopefully, rain tomorrow. Nothing works like God's rain.

Same here Robin. We drowned all winter and spring with almost daily rain and now no rain at all. Feast or famine I guess. We have rain barrels and have been watering along but not the same. We have new grass seed that we have too much invested in to let die so regular watering is a must. Top soil. grass seed and fertilizer is expensive and with no grass the soil washes down the hill. So we water. Rain in the forecast for the next 3 days so fingers crossed.

We got rain! So far over an inch. Needed so badly and I hope the forecast for the next 3 days of rain is right. Most of the farmers in the area including my neighbor down the road used the dry weeks to get their hay cut and up. Barns are full and a rain is welcome. Maybe they will get a second cutting later in the season This rain should pop up the seeds I planted last week. Garlic is harvested and hanging in the top of the wood shed to cure. Onions are dug and also hanging in the wood shed. Cabbage is ready for next week and green onions to pick and freeze.

We got a spattering for rain so far but i looks like something out of the wizard of oz outside so I’m expecting some shortly. Luckily I have two creeks and a well so am not hurting too bad. I have seen the front creek stop flowing twice in about 13 years but the back one has never come close yet.

The last 2 days we've had 3 inches of rain. We desperately needed it. Luckily none of my bean poles have turned over. It's wet outside today so I'm catching up on inside work which I hate. I'm an outside person.

Maybe I'll be able to get into gardens this afternoon or tomorrow and pull some of the weeds that were encased in concrete hard dirt.

We are at about 2 1/2 inches of rain according to my rain gauge. Doing laundry and housework while it rains. Making freezer slaw today from the 3 heads of cabbage we picked yesterday. Butter beans and a ham bone in the crockpot. Cleaned all the chicken/turkey bones out of the freezer and making a big pot of chicken broth to can. Picked the biggest beets about 2 dozen to pickle. Gooseberries are turning purple and he is picking them between storms to try to beat the robins to them. Had bird netting (nylon) over the blueberries. Squirrel has chewed through so he is patching holes as the rain slows. He went and bought a new air rifle with scope. He has declared war on the squirrels :m4: Bout damn time.

Stay safe, stay dry and stay alert.

Well, I had good intentions of working in the gardens today. We got two emergencies early on and went ahead and did one other job while well south of Atlanta. Just got in at 8:30pm so needless to say the garden didn’t get touched. Hopefully tomorrow will go better for stuff around the house.

Got up early and we put compost in the 6 boxes that we had removed onions and garlic from and then planted our third planting of red beans. At about 2 week intervals apart. That way they come in not all at the same time. Planted 5 more hills of watermelons and another box of romaine lettuce in a shadier spot. Spotted the first of the Japanese beetles this morning as well. Now that it has heated up I am back to canning. Butter beans and okra looking good. Almost time to tie up the tomatoes. I have zucchini almost ready to pick. Gooseberries need picking again and hubby killed 2 squirrels. He is putting them in the freezer until he gets enough for a meal. Guess that new air rifle works good. He likes that it is quiet. I personally prefer my .17 with scope. Stay safe.

I watered the orchard and berries today. First watering of the year and the first time I went up there. We lost 4 fruit trees over the winter, but everything else looks good. We have 2 ducks sitting on eggs under some raspberry bushes. I hope they hatch soon so I can mow.

Last edited:
Been picking tomatoes like crazy still. My cucumbers have just been ok along with jalapenos. The jalapeno I have in containers in the backyard are producing better than the ones in the garden. Picked my first cantaloupe a d honeydew yesterday. Found a couple split watermelons due to all the rain that will need to go to the pigs. Weeds have taken over in much of my garden along the edges and walkways and I am trying to get those pulled as I can. 3 wheelbarrow loads yesterday, 2 the day before, and before that. . . My pile of dry beans on the table are slowly going down as I get time to shell. I just have to prioritize my days with what is the most important right now. Hunny s weight restriction is supposed to be lifted on Monday but with his internal infection set back, it may go on another week. He is still not comfortable and just likes to relax in his recliner. At the end of this next week, we will need to go for a feed run. . . 2000lbs of sweet feed to unload for cows, 200lbs of goat rations. Pigs and chickens are still good so can wait for those.

This week was productive. The largest beets pickled, Picking gooseberries every 2 days, have started dehydrating green onions. Zucchini ready. Going to make some bread. Got more beans planted. Freezer slaw in the freezer. Onions and garlic hanging in the woodshed. Gardens 2020 is off to a good start.

100_6415.JPG 100_6111.JPG

Picked my first cantaloupe of the season tonight!! Wasn't in the garden yesterday so I picked 4 gigantic zucchini. Those will get shredded then divided into 4 cup have for the freezer to make breads and cakes. My bell peppers are really producing right now and started on my 3rd? gallon for the freezer. Got two more pumpkin pie pumpkins and another couple yellow squash. The rest is going to have to wait till the morning. I shed a bunch of dry beans that need picked. The weeds have doubled in size now. . . Some are coming up to mix calf now. I am never going to get them all pulled.

Latest posts

Back