Gardens 2020

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I sometimes freeze and bread also but did not this year. Instead I froze plain. I take it out and place on a baking sheet with olive oil and sea salt and roast in the oven. It almost caramelizes and takes on a nutty flavor without the breading. That is our preferred way of eating it these days. Not getting any younger and trying to eliminate as much frying and breading as possible.

I fermented some in my veggie ferments but did not pickle, again better for you. All that good gut bacteria and such!

I sometimes freeze and bread also but did not this year. Instead I froze plain. I take it out and place on a baking sheet with olive oil and sea salt and roast in the oven. It almost caramelizes and takes on a nutty flavor without the breading. That is our preferred way of eating it these days. Not getting any younger and trying to eliminate as much frying and breading as possible.

I fermented some in my veggie ferments but did not pickle, again better for you. All that good gut bacteria and such!

I ferment kraut and some cucumbers. My mom decided to add vinegar to the kraut and I lost 18 quarts. That turns it to pickling not fermenting and defeats the purpose.

I’ve got an urban garden so most of what I grow is in pots. Potatoes, garlic, onions, carrots and strawberries. I bought a rather sad looking blueberry bush a few years ago and the first year it fruited the next two it refused. So I moved it to make room for the ever increasing strawbs and forgot about it. This year I have a bucket load of blueberries! Couldn’t figure it out, it had the same sun, I was still watering it. I looked up growing blueberries and it said that conifer leaves make good compost. Sure enough I’d put it under a neighbours huge conifer tree. The soil was littered in conifer leaves. Happy accident and I take the credit for blueberries on my porridge 😁

Was cleaning the garden and decided to see if the seed potatoes had produced. (My soil doesn't grow nightshade plants) I dug 1.5 rows and harvested ONE potato. Well, I needed the exercise. It was warmer than I thought. Only took a few minutes to look like I had been in a sauna.

I have grown potatoes under straw before and it works great. We had seed potatoes we did not have room for in the regular garden. We laid them on the soil and put straw on top worked great but you do have to fertilize them quite a bit as the straw has very little nutrients. I think I used a water soluble fertilize if memory serves me. Did good!

I love learning new things. Today I learned that it takes blackberries 2 years to produce and once a cane has produced, it needs to be cut because it won't produce again. Also, in the Spring, the tips need to be snipped.

I need to get to work on cutting the old canes. Next year will be year 2 for most of my bushes. Hopefully, I will have a good harvest.

We love blackberry dumplings. Just boil the berries with some sugar, add water if they aren't juicy enough, get to a rolling boil and add dough (canned biscuits cut into quarters) and let them boil until dough is cooked. So good hot or cold.

One of our favorites is blackberry cobbler as well. This is my cobbler!

BLACKBERRY COBBLER

1 cup all purpose flour
1 1/2 cups white sugar, divided
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
6 Tbsp cold butter
1/4 cup boiling water
2 Tbsp cornstarch
1/4 cup cold water
1 Tbsp lemon juice
4 cups fresh or frozen blackberries

Preheat oven to 400

Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and set aside. In a large bowl mix flour, 1/2 cup sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut in butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in 1/4 cup boiling water just until mixture is moist.

In a separate bowl, dissolve cornstarch in cold water. Mix in remaining 1 cup of sugar, lemon juice and blackberries. Transfer to a cast iron skillet and bring to a boil, stirring frequently.

Drop dough into the skillet by spoonfuls. Place skillet on the foil lined baking sheet. Bake for 25 minutes in preheated oven or until the dough is golden brown.

Serve warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.

1-Blackberry Cobbler.jpg

Stay safe DD

Last edited:
I need to get to work on cutting the old canes. Next year will be year 2 for most of my bushes. Hopefully, I will have a good harvest.

Get your pruning done while they are dormant. Early March hit them with some good organic fertilizer. I like to put my rabbit poop around mine. Then do your tip pruning and you should have a good crop. Hoping for no late spring freezes.

I’m no gardening guru by any means, but learn more each season by observation. My blueberries that are nearest a huge white pine tree grow and produce the best of my 70 ish plants. So by basic deduction I’d say pine needles are good for them.
I feel kind of bad as my greenhouse and garden are overgrown jungles right now. Have been working Really long hours with the business so all my gardening has been placed on the back burner for too long. I’m planning to work just one more year at most now. Looking forwards to piddling around here in the dirt more after that.

I’m no gardening guru by any means, but learn more each season by observation. My blueberries that are nearest a huge white pine tree grow and produce the best of my 70 ish plants. So by basic deduction I’d say pine needles are good for them.
I feel kind of bad as my greenhouse and garden are overgrown jungles right now. Have been working Really long hours with the business so all my gardening has been placed on the back burner for too long. I’m planning to work just one more year at most now. Looking forwards to piddling around here in the dirt more after that.

The blueberries along your pines grow best because the ground is more acid from years of pine needles rotting and adding acidity. Your soil there is high in alkaline. That tells you that you need to add acidity to the rest of your berries. This can be done by one or more of the following : mulch your berries with peat moss, mulch your berries with your pine needles, but most commonly is adding sulphur, aluminum sulfate or a specific acidifier to the soil. This also helps strawberries.

a98c147e-4266-4763-b07e-67b9aa752cd1_1.d3bac10522492f483915dd4d920c6435.jpeg

34.28 for a 30 pound bag at Walmart.

Stay Safe DD

I love learning new things. Today I learned that it takes blackberries 2 years to produce and once a cane has produced, it needs to be cut because it won't produce again. Also, in the Spring, the tips need to be snipped.

We love blackberry dumplings. Just boil the berries with some sugar, add water if they aren't juicy enough, get to a rolling boil and add dough (canned biscuits cut into quarters) and let them boil until dough is cooked. So good hot or cold.
Just curious, how come wild blackberries will grow without being cut?

Latest posts

Back