Gardens 2020

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone know what these berries are? They are wild and around the water. They left a stain on my hands picking them.

1598910225474.jpeg

Per Wikipedia
Pokeweed is a member of the Phytolaccaceae family, and is a large native herbaceous perennial plant,[4] growing up to 2.5m (8 feet) in height over the course of a summer.[4] One to several branches grow from the crown of a thick, white, fleshy taproot, each a "stout, smooth, green to somewhat purplish stem;" with simple, entire leaves with long petioles alternately arranged along the stem.[4]

Pokeweeds reproduce only by their large, glossy black, lens-shaped seeds, which are contained in a fleshy, 10-celled, purple-to-near-black berry that has crimson juice. The flowers are perfect, radially symmetric, white or green, with 4-5 sepals and no petals. The flowers develop in elongated clusters termed racemes.[4][5] The seeds have long viability, able to germinate after many years in the soil.

Birds are unaffected by the poisons in the berries (see below),[4] and eat them, dispersing the seeds. Seed are also found in commercial seed (e.g., vegetable seed packets).[4] The berries are reported to be a good food source for songbirds and other bird species and small animals that are unaffected by its toxins.[6] Distribution via birds is thought to account for the appearance of isolated plants in areas otherwise free from pokeweed.[4]

Per Wikipedia
Pokeweed is a member of the Phytolaccaceae family, and is a large native herbaceous perennial plant,[4] growing up to 2.5m (8 feet) in height over the course of a summer.[4] One to several branches grow from the crown of a thick, white, fleshy taproot, each a "stout, smooth, green to somewhat purplish stem;" with simple, entire leaves with long petioles alternately arranged along the stem.[4]

Pokeweeds reproduce only by their large, glossy black, lens-shaped seeds, which are contained in a fleshy, 10-celled, purple-to-near-black berry that has crimson juice. The flowers are perfect, radially symmetric, white or green, with 4-5 sepals and no petals. The flowers develop in elongated clusters termed racemes.[4][5] The seeds have long viability, able to germinate after many years in the soil.

Birds are unaffected by the poisons in the berries (see below),[4] and eat them, dispersing the seeds. Seed are also found in commercial seed (e.g., vegetable seed packets).[4] The berries are reported to be a good food source for songbirds and other bird species and small animals that are unaffected by its toxins.[6] Distribution via birds is thought to account for the appearance of isolated plants in areas otherwise free from pokeweed.[4]

I would have put money on you knowing what it was DD! LOL Good thing I washed up quickly since it is poisonous. A little voice was saying it was. The birds do love it though! My hummingbirds don’t bother with it. Thank you for the information!

Bottled up the dehydrated okra from yesterday. Dehydrator full of onions today. My biggest roaster full of tomatoes cooking down slowly into sauce. I want to finish dehydrating onions, and then some shredded zucchini and shredded potatoes. Will dry shell beans naturally and probably butter beans as well. Thinking of canning minced garlic. Anyone here ever done that?

Bottled up the dehydrated okra from yesterday. Dehydrator full of onions today. My biggest roaster full of tomatoes cooking down slowly into sauce. I want to finish dehydrating onions, and then some shredded zucchini and shredded potatoes. Will dry shell beans naturally and probably butter beans as well. Thinking of canning minced garlic. Anyone here ever done that?

I've done garlic a couple different ways. Not ones I’ve grown, fresh ones from stores to experiment. I liked it best with this marinated method. This really does taste good!

Ingredients

• 1/2 cup olive oil
  • 1 cup white vinegar
  • 1/2 cup lemon juice
  • 1 1/2 cup garlic - minced or sliced
Instructions

With either a food processor or knife - mince or slice the garlic cloves. Put the above ingredients in a small sauce pan except garlic.
  • Heat under medium heat to a simmer and prepare 4 - 4 oz jars in a small water bath pot ...heating the jars and lids. (a pot with a lid and a steamer rack at the bottom works well.)
  • Remove the jars from the water and fill with garlic to 1/2" headspace. Ladle the brine into the jars and fill to 1/2" headspace with the hot liquid. Using a plastic spatula remove air bubbles and refill to headspace if necessary.
  • Wipe rims of jars with damp paper towel so that the lids. Add hot lid and tighten jar finger tight.
  • Add jars back to water bath and process at a full boil for 20 minutes. Remove from heat and let jars sit on the counter to seal and cool.

I am pickling some garlic right now in the fridge, whole cloves, along with some eggs. I am using store bought pickling spices, spiced up with red pepper flakes and whole peppercorns and a brine with wine vinegar. No measurements on salt and vinegar, I just added them until it tasted like pickle juice, LOL.

I am pickling some garlic right now in the fridge, whole cloves, along with some eggs. I am using store bought pickling spices, spiced up with red pepper flakes and whole peppercorns and a brine with wine vinegar. No measurements on salt and vinegar, I just added them until it tasted like pickle juice, LOL.

LOL. But, seriously, taste testing is the best way! Have not done that, but am writing it down to try out! Garlic is my favorite spice!

Last edited:
Ive never done that Robin. You just use the peels? How much tomato powder do you put in your recipe for soups? Or meat loaf?
I don't measure. I just add a tablespoon or so. With the meatloaf, I add it to the drippings to make a roux. It is strong so it doesn't take much.

Latest posts

Back