Gardens 2020

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I get used to them and they are all pretty much pets,,,,they will all let me pick them up even out in the yard where they can easily run ,,,,,,,,,,you can't protect them all the time,,,over night and during the day I have a pair of yard dogs that are out there with them but the dogs don't hang in the yard with them they roam,,,but in the past they have run things off that were after the chickens or rabbits,,,they aren't bad dogs

I picked my first two honeydews. Some cantaloupe are getting close too. The watermelons are nice looking but pretty small. Melons are some of my favorite things from the garden. I got really busy with work and didn’t pick the blueberries for about 8 days. I got about half a gallon yesterday but lost likely 4 gallons to the birds. If you don’t get out there every three days the birds will do it for you. I’ll get a couple more pickings out of them and then will move on to the grapes. There’s always something around here that needs to be done.

Doubled the amount of green beans I've been getting this year. It's sad because we aren't expecting rain this week. Oh well, on the positive side, I have little yellow tomatoes coming out of my ears. These were the plants started as love offerings from the chickens. There were 13 and they are all producing like crazy.

Cherry tomatoes are a pain to can, but hey, they are tomatoes.

Name a critter that will go down a row and eat okra plants until they are just stems and limbs with no leaves. They had to be able to reach 4 ft. It can't be deer because they did not touch the tender green beans 2 ft away. The fence is us but I found a hole about 1 ft around at bottom.

I can only think groundhog, but don't know how tall they can get when on their hind legs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Deer! Deer adore okra. My husband used to plant okra in his wildlife food plots! They simply jumped the fence and started with the okra. They'll be back for the beans. Ask me how I know.
I can not see a deer doing this. I have a fence then I have netting coving the blackberries and they are inside the fence and reach about 6 feet into the garden. There hasn't been any disturbance of the netting by anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
It has nothing to do with jumping over the fence. Inside the fence I also have blackberries around the fence. It is covered with a netting that reaches into the garden about 6 feet. There would have to be some sign of damage, there isn't.

Latest posts

Back