Gardens 2020

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I grow several types of muscadin and some Concorde Grapes. I never spray anything on them and they do great here. I had some fancier grapes early on and they all got ripped out due to the high maintenance. My number one thing when thinking about planting anything is does it grow really well here with low maintenance. Of course I killed a lot of plants before coming to this conclusion....

I hear ya Brent. That is why I grow lots of natives. They are so carefree. Wished I would have done it years ago.

Picking gooseberries yet again and zucchini. Lots of rain over the last week. Red beans patch #1 is loaded with pods and still blooming. Butter beans and okra were thinned and hoed yesterday. Tied up tomatoes 2 days ago and darn if they don't need it again. Planted more flowers and hubby and I poured a small sidewalk under the arch at the garden gate today. Grapes are absolutely loaded. Blackberries not so much. Those late frosts really hurt them. Hoping for a fall crop. Potato bugs are just about gone between my efforts and the ducks, hoping that is the last of them till next year. Picking Japanese Beetles daily and drowning. Hubby finds it so funny watching me chase beetles with a cane. Me not so much. Elderberry flowers are huge. Black currants are ripe. Another crop of beets to pickle probably next week. Dehydrator full of another load of green onions. Woodshed and chicken shed full of drying garlic and onions. No rest for the wicked.

The garlic I planted in a container isn’t doing very well. Never grew any before this. perhaps they just need in the ground? They sprouted and grew green for awhile now they appear to just be turning brown.

The beetles have started here too. Ugh. We have had rain every single day for a few weeks. It has been unreal. Do you treat with Neem oil in late winter? I have not done so yet. Am considering it after this disaster. I have a lot of Concord and they seem to be doing the worst. Also have some Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon, and Chardonnay. Our elevation here is at 1800 feet. I am in zone 7a.

So we are about the same. I am 6B/7A depending on which map you use. My elevation is a little higher. See I started out with 3 varieties and weeded out 1 already. My Reliance is my biggest producer and healthiest so I will propagate more. My Concord is doing okay but not as good as Reliance. I may try some muscadines next year. I spray neem under and on all my fruit trees and vines in early winter right after first freeze and then again in really early spring to kill anything overwintering. I spray my garden boxes with it too. Before the bees come out. As soon as my grapes leaf I do spray something for fungus as soon as my grapes leaf out and that is it. An ounce of prevention and all that. I also prune my grapes for plenty of airflow. That helps.

I picked the gardens today. Had to chunk about 40 huge yellow cucumbers that I let grow too long. Got my first batch of green beans for canning and pulled a few carrots jus for fresh eating. I picked the last of the broccoli and went ahead and pulled those and the cauliflower. I cleaned up the area and planted more green beans. Also weeded some more. By 10am it was allready hot as heck out there. I made a big lunch and lounged in the pool for a bit before working on other projects. I actually had to water for the first time in weeks. We don’t have any high chance of rain for another week here so will start dragging the hose around every morning now.

Too bad you don't have some pigs to feed them squash to

The garlic I planted in a container isn’t doing very well. Never grew any before this. perhaps they just need in the ground? They sprouted and grew green for awhile now they appear to just be turning brown.

When did you plant them. They should be turning brown now. That is the cycle with garlic. I plant in October, they sprout and I put a light straw mulch in winter. Take off mulch about March and they grow till about June and the lower leaves start turning brown. You pick and hang to dry and save some cloves to start over in October. It's a cycle.

Agreed! Compost is ok but not nearly as good as feed. Just can’t get the dogs to be interested in giant cucumbers for some reason.

One year hubby brought home two baby pigs because we had a huge garden that year. He put them in the pen and we fed them nothing but garden scraps all summer and fall. Everything from corn cobs to tomatoes, weeds and everything. Some of the best tasting pork we ever raised.

When did you plant them. They should be turning brown now. That is the cycle with garlic. I plant in October, they sprout and I put a light straw mulch in winter. Take off mulch about March and they grow till about June and the lower leaves start turning brown. You pick and hang to dry and save some cloves to start over in October. It's a cycle.

They weren’t planted until March. I thought they would have to go through winter. Sounds like I planted them at the wrong time, right?

One year hubby brought home two baby pigs because we had a huge garden that year. He put them in the pen and we fed them nothing but garden scraps all summer and fall. Everything from corn cobs to tomatoes, weeds and everything. Some of the best tasting pork we ever raised.

How big did they get DD? I would love to raise some pork!

So we are about the same. I am 6B/7A depending on which map you use. My elevation is a little higher. See I started out with 3 varieties and weeded out 1 already. My Reliance is my biggest producer and healthiest so I will propagate more. My Concord is doing okay but not as good as Reliance. I may try some muscadines next year. I spray neem under and on all my fruit trees and vines in early winter right after first freeze and then again in really early spring to kill anything overwintering. I spray my garden boxes with it too. Before the bees come out. As soon as my grapes leaf I do spray something for fungus as soon as my grapes leaf out and that is it. An ounce of prevention and all that. I also prune my grapes for plenty of airflow. That helps.

Where did you buy your Reliance vines? I will start some of those since they are doing so well for you. I really appreciate the advice on how to best take care of them! Will put it on my calendar now so I won’t mess it up next year. Had a guy from a vineyard around here come trim mine last winter. Am trying to find something strong enough and curved to hook to our current support beams to form an arch over the rows. That will get them higher and allow them to spread too. Plus I just adore that look.

Probably about 175 to 200 max. We butchered them a little small but he wanted to put one in the freezer and the other he cooked in a pit whole for Thanksgiving. God was it good.

I bet it was! Nothing like home raised pork! Both sets of grandparents growing up always raised pigs...and my parents raised some on their farms. So good!!

Where did you buy your Reliance vines? I will start some of those since they are doing so well for you. I really appreciate the advice on how to best take care of them! Will put it on my calendar now so I won’t mess it up next year. Had a guy from a vineyard around here come trim mine last winter. Am trying to find something strong enough and curved to hook to our current support beams to form an arch over the rows. That will get them higher and allow them to spread too. Plus I just adore that look.

That is a pretty look! I bought my Reliance grapes from Stark Bros in Louisiana, Missouri online. I have used them for 20 years. Order them early though because any more they run out fast. Everybody is a farmer these days. Willis Orchard supply is good too. I think they are in Georgia too. Same deal order early. I think Willis ships fall too.

That is a pretty look! I bought my Reliance grapes from Stark Bros in Louisiana, Missouri online. I have used them for 20 years. Order them early though because any more they run out fast. Everybody is a farmer these days. Willis Orchard supply is good too. I think they are in Georgia too. Same deal order early. I think Willis ships fall too.

Willis is great. Have ordered off and on with Stark. My Dad always counted on them. He got his degree in horticulture from OSU. I sure miss him. I’ve ordered most of mine from Willis. Got some fruit trees from them too as well as blackberries. Isn’t it the truth about them running out early?! I expect it to get worse too. The local co-op owner was telling me what a phenomenal spring she had with sales. Said she’s had nothing like it before.

Products – OIKOS Tree Crops

GP this grape is a great choice. It is a wild Texas grape hybridized with Concord. They are a little high at $12 each but this is my next grape purchase. I have some friends in Alabama that have these and sing their praises. And they are grown from seeds. Also a great native source and reliable company.

Products – OIKOS Tree Crops

GP this grape is a great choice. It is a wild Texas grape hybridized with Concord. They are a little high at $12 each but this is my next grape purchase. I have some friends in Alabama that have these and sing their praises. And they are grown from seeds. Also a great native source and reliable company.

Nothing like referrals on stuff like this! I will try some out!

Latest posts

Back