Gardens 2020

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got one snow pea this year. I planted much too late for them and luckily only planted a few. If I plant in February they do well. I just spent two hours weed eating and am beat! My arms are still vibrating... will do the second half tomorrow morning. I wanted ten acres when looking for property but could only afford 2.5 acres. Now I’m really glad as this is hard enough to keep up with.

I usually have that problem, but this year the temps were low and rain was plentiful

We have been in the garden all morning. Me in a supervisory capacity :cool: Picked green peas again and my afternoon project is to put on a dvd on and shell peas and freeze them. Hubby is working on additional pinestraw mulch around the blueberries and mowing this afternoon. Nothing else is really ready yet. We set out 24 paste tomato plants and planted some herbs around. We planted 4 Big Rainbows which are my favorite tomato a big heirloom red and yellow striper. Beans are looking great and zukes are coming along. Won't be long and I will be hip deep in veggies. We are in that lull where the cold weather crops are going out and the warm weather crops are going in. Stay safe all

This has been an unusual summer for us. Normally we've had to start watering the garden several weeks ago. But so far there's been enough rain (and snow) that we still haven't watered yet. It's supposed to rain tonight and the next 2 days. By Sunday their calling for temps in the 30's. If we're lucky it may snow again.
Sometimes I get a little envious of some of the gardens here. But I don't think I could live in the flat lands around people. I guess I'll stick to living in the mountains.

This has been an unusual summer for us. Normally we've had to start watering the garden several weeks ago. But so far there's been enough rain (and snow) that we still haven't watered yet. It's supposed to rain tonight and the next 2 days. By Sunday their calling for temps in the 30's. If we're lucky it may snow again.
Sometimes I get a little envious of some of the gardens here. But I don't think I could live in the flat lands around people. I guess I'll stick to living in the mountains.

Mountains are the best. God's country. Only thing close second is the bayou :D

Very nice. I keep hearing about how easy corn is to grow but haven’t had much luck with it so far. I didn’t even plant it this season.

Brent I don't plant corn at all. When we were on 70 acres I had a big corn field and a tractor to work it. Here like you we are down to a couple acres so I grow what produces the most per footage for the small amount of space that I have to devote to it. Corn does not produce nearly as much as say beans for the amount of room, water and fertilizer that it requires. I buy my corn fresh from a local farmer that plants acres of it. I devote my garden space to other things that are harder to find locally that we like. For instance we love Camellia brand red beans a Louisiana favorite that I would have to ship in. Instead I bought some years ago and planted them and saved the seeds. Every year I grow my own. I can produce much more overall not growing corn. I concentrate on crops that require less room, are more nutrient dense, and require less water and fertilizer.

Brent I don't plant corn at all. When we were on 70 acres I had a big corn field and a tractor to work it. Here like you we are down to a couple acres so I grow what produces the most per footage for the small amount of space that I have to devote to it. Corn does not produce nearly as much as say beans for the amount of room, water and fertilizer that it requires. I buy my corn fresh from a local farmer that plants acres of it. I devote my garden space to other things that are harder to find locally that we like. For instance we love Camellia brand red beans a Louisiana favorite that I would have to ship in. Instead I bought some years ago and planted them and saved the seeds. Every year I grow my own. I can produce much more overall not growing corn. I concentrate on crops that require less room, are more nutrient dense, and require less water and fertilizer.
I feel the same about planting the most per footage too, BUT because my hunny eats such a small variety of veggies already I will plant it for him. This is the first year I made him come out to help plant. And get this, what I picked today he helped me process. I was surprised when he got his errands done and back home he helped shuck and even helped vacuum seal for the freezer. Of coarse the canning is up to me but still. . . I was happy with the help. I did end up canning spaghetti sauce this morning. Still need enough for my hot sauce and rotels. After that will be whatever I may think I would like.

I feel the same about planting the most per footage too, BUT because my hunny eats such a small variety of veggies already I will plant it for him. This is the first year I made him come out to help plant. And get this, what I picked today he helped me process. I was surprised when he got his errands done and back home he helped shuck and even helped vacuum seal for the freezer. Of coarse the canning is up to me but still. . . I was happy with the help. I did end up canning spaghetti sauce this morning. Still need enough for my hot sauce and rotels. After that will be whatever I may think I would like.

I cut down on my tomatoes this year. I planted 70 plants last year and put up so many tomato products that I still have lots. So I cut my plants in half this year. I will still put up some tomatoes but will concentrate on other stuff.

Been in gardens since 9 a.m. it's only 80 today and it going to be in 90s by end of week. No rain expected so I am watering every day.

Replanted some beans that had some bald spots in rows. The ground is so hard, the rebar I use to poke holes barely went into some spots. I have added sand and soil every year for 21 year. Clay soil isn't good to work with.

I'm tired and irritable now. Good thing is someone is coming to get a kitten this evening. That leaves two.

We had another really nice day. Peas shelled and frozen yesterday so hubby pulled all the pea vines and fed to ducks and chickens. Dug the garlic and hung in woodshed to dry. Laid over all the onions tops to dry for a couple days then they will be hung in wood shed as well to finish drying. Planted 2 rows of green beans where the peas were. Planted 3 hills of yellow squash for a second round of squash. Asparagus beds cleaned up and mulched with straw. I of course still in a supervisory capacity with my crutches. Good news is that my knee is getting better. Swelling has gone down alot and pain is much better.

Picked 77 more ears of corn today but lost at least that amount the last couple days from squirrels . . . Cob after cob were stripped going down the rows. We just have some fat little tree rats running around here now. I was picking purple bulls and brown Crowders by the hand loads and ended up with 6 gallons of purple hulls and three of the crowders so far but still need to finish that up this evening. Got a few more zucchini, patty squash, banana peppers, bell peppers, jalapenos and yellow squash along with 7 1/2 lbs of tomatoes that got made into rotel tomatoes I canned up today. Found 1 of my watermelons busted open, barely pink on the open side and red on the other. Fed it to the goats. Polly Anna was most grateful. . . .:)

We had another really nice day. Peas shelled and frozen yesterday so hubby pulled all the pea vines and fed to ducks and chickens. Dug the garlic and hung in woodshed to dry. Laid over all the onions tops to dry for a couple days then they will be hung in wood shed as well to finish drying. Planted 2 rows of green beans where the peas were. Planted 3 hills of yellow squash for a second round of squash. Asparagus beds cleaned up and mulched with straw. I of course still in a supervisory capacity with my crutches. Good news is that my knee is getting better. Swelling has gone down alot and pain is much better.
Just dont try to do too much as your knee heals up. You dont want to hurt it again. . . One step forward and two steps back isnt worth it.

I got a good bit of weeding done over the last couple days and I weed eated a lot today. Seems like I just did all this.... definitely a never ending battle. Think I will pull some of the stuff out of the green house and plant more beans. I really want to can at least a couple years worth of green beans this year.

After work this morning all I did was go out to pickin the gardeb , but I did notice all the weeds that need dealt with along with so many other issues. . . I just cant keep up right now. I will be lucky to keep it alive till summers end. . . My main focus will be the tomatoes, peppers, and melons. I was able to do two batches of spaghetti sauce for the neighbor friend.

Was able to pick the first cucumbers today! Got a load of beans too. Meant to get a few yellow squash but forgot to go back for them. At least the weeding is pretty well caught up at the moment. Since I’ve been watering and maintaining the blueberries and blackberries this year they are loaded better than I’ve ever seen. Will be nice to fill the freezers up with them. I like adding berries to all sorts of things all year long, from cereal to muffins.

Latest posts

Back