Gardens 2020

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@robinjopo With your heat of 92 and humidity you have no business being outside once the heat of day comes working outside in the garden. I know, I have been in your shoes. So far this season I try to only be out there during early morning and evening hours. If I am out there, I take a big drink with me to stay hydrated. Most days I am in by 10:30 at the latest to start with my canning and housework. Just be careful! Getting dehydrated can cause all kinds of health problems.

My green beans, zucchini and patty squash have produced really well for me this year and my yellow squash was just ok, but the heat and excessive rainfall is going to be finishing them of soon. I have canned and dehydrated enough to last me a couple years now on the green beans, zucchini and patty so not to worried. In fact i will let the goats and pigs have everything else that produces on those. I got an ok harvest from my spaghetti squash and butternut but they are both dying off now. I planted them on a trellis this year. Couple years ago, they lasted almost all summer, at least till early August so maybe that had something to do with it, but we have been seeing hotter temps earlier this year. I cured those and have them in the stockroom now. Right now tomatoes are coming in full force and started really canning those today. I started with diced tomatoes and tomato juice. Still need to can up so many tomato products to last the year. I was not able to do much canning last year and barely made it into this season of tomatoes. Kids were over on Saturday and basically wiped me out of hot sauce. . . I may have 6 jars left.

My green beans, zucchini and patty squash have produced really well for me this year and my yellow squash was just ok, but the heat and excessive rainfall is going to be finishing them of soon. I have canned and dehydrated enough to last me a couple years now on the green beans, zucchini and patty so not to worried. In fact i will let the goats and pigs have everything else that produces on those. I got an ok harvest from my spaghetti squash and butternut but they are both dying off now. I planted them on a trellis this year. Couple years ago, they lasted almost all summer, at least till early August so maybe that had something to do with it, but we have been seeing hotter temps earlier this year. I cured those and have them in the stockroom now. Right now tomatoes are coming in full force and started really canning those today. I started with diced tomatoes and tomato juice. Still need to can up so many tomato products to last the year. I was not able to do much canning last year and barely made it into this season of tomatoes. Kids were over on Saturday and basically wiped me out of hot sauce. . . I may have 6 jars left.

Your garden is winding down and mine is just getting started.

Picking green peas everyday now for the freezer. The cabbage is huge and super clean of worms thus far. Garlic is starting to die back and onions have started to fall over and dry. Strawberries are winding down. Blueberries, grapes and blackberries all have fruit. Figs had quite a bit of die back from winter even with being wrapped so unsure if I will have many figs or not. Gooseberries are absolutely loaded. Quit picking asparagus now and rhubarb. Lots in the freezer. Planted okra, butterbeans, red beans, squash, cantaloupe and pepper plants with help from hubby. I supervised and he planted. Have 24 more paste tomatoes I am hoping to get in the ground soon.

Last edited:
Your garden is winding down and mine is just getting started.
Yep:D. Didn't I tell ya? I pruned back a lot on my patty squash this morning. I have the side shoots that are still producing. I got a whoopin 3 this morning. I got 3 zucchini and 1 yellow squash. Picked another 2 gallons of tomatoes, a handful of banana peppers and 1 slicing eggplant. I found 1 bell eggplant that was on the ground but not fully ripe. Corn will get picked probably by this weekend. It did great so far. My watermelon are getting big along with the honeydew and cantaloupe. In fact I did pick 1 honeydew yesterday. I also have 2 pumpkin pie pumpkins turning orange. I have 1 acorn squash getting close, only 1 on the vine so far and 1 banana squash. Brown Crowder beans are almost ready to be picked to.

All my plants are looking great but still a ways to start producing. I’ve picked a handful of green beans and two squash so far from the outside garden.... my figs take a hit every winter but always come back and it dosent seem to hurt production. I’m just hoping to can a couple years worth of green beans and tomato products this season. I have too many cucumber plants so will need to figure out a good way to preserve some other than pickles. I saw a few ripe blueberries today and will start picking some tomorrow. I have several different varieties so they ripen all summer long.

All my plants are looking great but still a ways to start producing. I’ve picked a handful of green beans and two squash so far from the outside garden.... my figs take a hit every winter but always come back and it dosent seem to hurt production. I’m just hoping to can a couple years worth of green beans and tomato products this season. I have too many cucumber plants so will need to figure out a good way to preserve some other than pickles. I saw a few ripe blueberries today and will start picking some tomorrow. I have several different varieties so they ripen all summer long.

I am a bit concerned that mine were killed all the way to the ground despite being wrapped in straw and tarps. They are coming out great but don't know if they will have enough time for the figs to ripen before frost. That is a problem here which is why we wrap them. We had a really cold winter for here though.

I am a bit concerned that mine were killed all the way to the ground despite being wrapped in straw and tarps. They are coming out great but don't know if they will have enough time for the figs to ripen before frost. That is a problem here which is why we wrap them. We had a really cold winter for here though.
Mine died back all the way until they were about 5 yrs old or so. Once the branches get bigger they seem tougher.

Arctic, cover or wrap so you dont lose more. I get it on wanting to get the garden in ASAP. But our main concern is the heat and humidity. which is your complete opposite. If you have old milk jugs, pop bottles, or whatever else, it helps.

Picking green peas everyday now for the freezer. The cabbage is huge and super clean of worms thus far. Garlic is starting to die back and onions have started to fall over and dry. Strawberries are winding down. Blueberries, grapes and blackberries all have fruit. Figs had quite a bit of die back from winter even with being wrapped so unsure if I will have many figs or not. Gooseberries are absolutely loaded. Quit picking asparagus now and rhubarb. Lots in the freezer. Planted okra, butterbeans, red beans, squash, cantaloupe and pepper plants with help from hubby. I supervised and he planted. Have 24 more paste tomatoes I am hoping to get in the ground soon.

I have trouble with any cold crops. Goes from winter to summer within two weeks.

I am getting a few snow peas

I have trouble with any cold crops. Goes from winter to summer within two weeks.

I am getting a few snow peas
I got one snow pea this year. I planted much too late for them and luckily only planted a few. If I plant in February they do well. I just spent two hours weed eating and am beat! My arms are still vibrating... will do the second half tomorrow morning. I wanted ten acres when looking for property but could only afford 2.5 acres. Now I’m really glad as this is hard enough to keep up with.

IMG_20200612_093807.jpg 92 ears so far. This is probably a little over a third. The others need a couple more day. Started picking pints and got some more purplehulls, greenbeans.

View attachment 10478 92 ears so far. This is probably a little over a third. The others need a couple more day. Started picking pints and got some more purplehulls, greenbeans.
Very nice. I keep hearing about how easy corn is to grow but haven’t had much luck with it so far. I didn’t even plant it this season.

Latest posts

Back