Gardening 2023

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I mention before that I lost 15 blackberry plantso and about 200 strawberry due to the extended Christmas freeze.

My neighbor said he lost all of his blueberries.
Our blackberry and strawberry plants are doing good. The cold doesn't seem to bother them. Of course we haven't had any cold weather for a couple of years now, maybe only -15 or so. The snow does crush the blackberry and raspberry plants though. A few years ago I translated some wild strawberry plants that I found out in the woods. They are spreading all over the place.

Too cold, too wet?
I'm surprised. Concord is an American grape. I would have thought they'd do well there.

I'm really getting nervous. I have been working hard but our garden is still not planted except a handful of things. We have so much work to do and I'm just praying we can still get a good harvest.

Be calm and keep at it! I am behind too. Most folks are because of the weather. You should have a pretty long planting season, right?

I know it is late in the season, but I found a bag of potatoes that have sprouts up to 4" long

I have room in the old strawberry patch so I think I will plant them just to see what happens. Nothing to lose.

You can always harvest a few at the end of fall and leave the rest in the ground to grow more next year without having to plant!

Too wet I think. I had a hard time finding a nursery that would ship concord grape plants to my state. So I ordered some from a nursery in Georgia, and thinking they might sell out, I ordered them way too early.
If the 8 plants that I just ordered survive, we'll order another dozen or so for this fall.
I hope they do. When we lived in another location, I started hilling up my grapes to keep them a little drier.

Be calm and keep at it! I am behind too. Most folks are because of the weather. You should have a pretty long planting season, right?
Thanks, GP. You always make me feel better!

Our season is about 170 days. It's considered medium length, I think? I usually plant at Mother's Day for anything not frost hardy, but I am skipping some of those until fall.

I am just telling myself that I will do a little every day. Our lives are revolving completely around the garden and rest! Which is ok, I suppose. Life has seasons and this is a season of focused work and rest.

So good to see you Kiwi!! 😊 Was thinking about you yesterday. Yeah, the Tonga eruption is shown to have put so much into the upper atmosphere that it will affect growth of plants and trees in to next year. The msm won’t report on it though.

Is anything growing for you? Are you and yours doing okay ?

Whew! It was in the 80s here today! I finally got a lot of stuff in the ground but I have only been able to work in short bursts. I got about 1/4 of the veggies planted and I presprouted some corn for one of my grain plots.

My husband and I were talking and he said he remembers times when they didn't get the corn out until after Memorial Day due to rain. I don't remember that growing up, bit I asked if it still produced much or if it was just chopped for silage. He said it did. So, hopefully I can still get a good harvest on some grains, too. I'm not very confident on that, though.

The wife said she'll be done planting by this weekend. I've got 1 corner post to finish up, then I'll plant some oats, wheat, barley and dryland pasture mix. Only have enough to cover about 5 acres. Mid 60's for high temps and low 40's for lows. There's a possibility of rain on Saturday then warming up again.

Weather here has been nuts. 80-90s highs last week, Lows in 30’s, highs in 60’s this week.
The store bought plants have been surviving. It’s just a matter of me keeping them watered enough the days she is at work.
What is it usually like there in May?

It feels like July weather now.

What is it usually like there in May?

It feels like July weather now.
We have a weird year here.
Last year things browned out in April. This year end of May. Temps have been cooler. Rainfall off the charts in January. Even had rain in May.

When you have a rich soil and rainfall, things are easy.

Most of my soil is disintegrated rock. I have pony poop and 150 years of cow ranching poop to build on. I do have 300 yr old oaks around. But most of it is wild oats growing in rock chips,
There is a reason this has always been cattle country Dont think there is enough water to turn it into vineyards.

Don't know about you, but I am so tired of buying potting soil and having it look like ground up trees. Even the Miracle Grow types. I buy for containers because I have to grow my tomatoes that way.

I ran across this yesterday and when I opened it I was pleasantly surprised. Super fine, dark with zero tree pieces. It says it has coconut coir. I got 1,5 cu for the same price of 1 cu of the Miracle Grow. Hopefully, it performs as good as it looks.

It says organic.

Attachments

• 20230525_131242.jpg
    20230525_131242.jpg
    757.5 KB · Views: 0
Does anyone have a garden journal or planner they really like? I am wanting to get one where I can record information because I am so forgetful now, but I am overwhelmed with the options. I get lost with a simple notebook, but I have been jotting down notes in my regular planner.
I used to use the Burpee on line planting journal. It was nice. You go to My Garden and put in your plants and it shows dates for planting etc. Won't be helpful after an EMP though. ;)

Latest posts

Back