Gardening 2023

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We greensprout in Nov. and deeper than normal so they do not freeze, but, we have little to no snow and only get down to around minus 10°C/15°F and have no permafrost problems. Then we plant again in May/June for the second harvest in late Sep. or even Oct.
We just planted carrots, parsnips and onions as we got some sun and opened the water well again for the first time this year.
The prices are getting insane now here. Garlic is about $7.50/kilo (2.2 lbs); a cucumber is about $3.00 EACH...onions are going for about $6.00/kilo.
One neighbor planted his fields with onionseeds last week and bought his seeds here in Hungary for a whopping 300,000 Hungarian Forinth for only a POUND OF SEEDS ($750.00!!!)

We greensprout in Nov. and deeper than normal so they do not freeze, but, we have little to no snow and only get down to around minus 10°C/15°F and have no permafrost problems. Then we plant again in May/June for the second harvest in late Sep. or even Oct.
We just planted carrots, parsnips and onions as we got some sun and opened the water well again for the first time this year.
The prices are getting insane now here. Garlic is about $7.50/kilo (2.2 lbs); a cucumber is about $3.00 EACH...onions are going for about $6.00/kilo.
One neighbor planted his fields with onionseeds last week and bought his seeds here in Hungary for a whopping 300,000 Hungarian Forinth for only a POUND OF SEEDS ($750.00!!!)
Woah. Those prices are crazy.

So is greensprouting only done for an off season harvest, then?

It differs from potato sorts. We can greensprout some white and yellow sorts but not the hard red ones. I have no idea what the names are. We bought once and replant the littlest ones the next time and use them like heirlooms over and over. The last one got planted today and already had some roots growing up to 10 inches long. They are planted roots and all. If they already have used so much energy to sprout, then they just keep the healthy roots.
We now have 4 rows of garlic, 8 rows of potatos, 2 rows of carrots, 2 rows of parsnips, 1 row of sweet peas and
3 rows of onions. Tomatos, pickles, celery, cucumbers and dill are still waiting for warmer weather.
We also just planted Italian grapes which are only for eating and get up to 10 lbs for only a single cluster....

I had no idea squirrels ate onions! Grief! Those rat bastards! What won't they eat? Must be liberal democrat squirrels!
I didn't either, but they are the only critter around who can get inside the fence. This garden is fenced and it is inside a larger fenced in area. Pretty hard to get to.

I am replanting today. I will move a trap down by the onions. Thanks for the idea. AD
The traps that I use in the garden are same ones I use for ermine trapping. It's a small wooden box with a hole in one end and rat snap trap inside. Usually baited with peanut butter. I'll also screw a rat trap to a fence post baited with peanut butter.

I keep traps set in our garden for squirrels and chipmunks. And a .22 rifle hanging on the back deck. They do a lot of damage.
Squirrels ate holes through the attic vents, got into the attic, and tore up the ducts. I had to nail some hardware cloth over the outside of the vents.

Squirrels ate holes through the attic vents, got into the attic, and tore up the ducts. I had to nail some hardware cloth over the outside of the vents.
My bil is replacing the attic insulation and patching the holes in the eves of his sisters house. Birds and squirrels got in and made a huge mess.

We got another 6 inches of snow this morning. Then it cleared up and the sun came out. 38 degs for high temp today and the snow is melting fast. Theres still 3 feet of snow in the garden, so we'll should be able to start planting in a couple months.
I ordered some 3 year old seedless concord grape plants today. I found a nursery in Georgia that will ship to my state.

Latest posts

Back