Gardening 2023

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With the wife being off the mountain, I might have to eat a salad.
2799D954-3D7E-427D-8508-DA30ABC544B6.jpeg

Larry and I went out today and got a lot of seeds and starter plants. I got wide array of new herb seeds, as well as some in starter plants, and yes, I got chomomile (seeds) too! I still have some rosemary, oregano and a little thyme that survived from last year that is starting to come back out by the garden area. My basil, chives, sage and other didn't make it from last year.

We put some seeds out in trays and containers in the greenhouse, put the starter plants in bigger containers in the greenhouse, and a few things straight in the raised garden bed. I have some cabbage, kale and collard greens still hanging on in the raised beds from few months ago, been popping off leaves and giving that to the chickens.

It has been very warm here but have a feeling we are gonna get a few more cold days before spring, not sure about another freeze. I've got big plans for herb garden and especially medicinal herb garden this year. Excited to get it going!

I do have a variety of herlioom veggies seeds also but haven't put those out yet. going to put those in a different area.

I'm going to also start in the next week growing some microgreens. I think this is a good idea to add if anyone thinks S is gonna HTF or not. They are fast, easy to grow, and can be done from inside or outside. Drawback seems to be you go through a lot of seeds and expensive. Anyone grow them regularly?

Do you use flowers, leaves, roots ? One or all
You can use both flowers and leaves but the leaves are pretty bitter. The flowers have a little less of the sesquiterpenes than the leaves, I think. (Those are good for cardiovascular health and reducing cancer growth.) I could be wrong, but I know those are usually bitter.

The flower heads have higher nervine abilities. I don't think I've ever come across the roots being used in my studies, but I'll check into that.

I don't have a clue what you are talking about.
Yay! Almost all of my Blueberry cuttings and my fruit rootstocks are rooting! I'm so happy. I can't wait to start grafting this year.

I have some fresh scions coming. Do any of you guys trade scion wood? I'd like to start a trade here locally.

I don't have a clue what you are talking about.
Most fruit trees like apples are grown on a different tree's roots so they are more resistant to diseases, are smaller in size, etc. Apples, especially, aren't very good grown from seed. So they take the good fruiting tree, cut off pieces of wood called scions, and seal it to the rootstocks of trees that grow smaller or are disease resistant. If you line them up, they grow together and you get a tree with both characteristics.

Where we used to live, people would slice off some scions of their trees or any suckers of the rootstocks each year to trade with each other. You can build a cheap orchard that way.

Ok I gotcha. Never heard the term
Yeah, it's not very common here for people to do their own grafting, so maybe it was just the area I lived in before?

It's nice though because you can usually get a bundle of rootstock for maybe $20 and if you have friends who grow fruit trees, you can get free scion wood, so it ends up only being a few bucks per tree. Plus, if you have a diseased portion on an existing tree, you can still salvage the variety.

And I'm feeling very dorky right now...

Latest posts

Back