Gardening 2023

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BEST PLANTS FOR WINTER STORAGE

Has anyone else determined what and how much food they will have to grow and store to survive a winter without previous preps? I decided to figure this out. Of major importance is the ability to grow the “right” food. Food that will store the longest. I won’t include grains in this list because we all know how to store those for long term keeping. This is a list of valuable veggies that will keep well.

1684337396894.jpeg

Winter Squash - of the variety out there the best are: Butternut, Acorn, kabocha, certain type pumpkins and spaghetti squash. All of these are filled with great nutrients and will keep well for around 6 months if stored properly.

1684337473837.jpeg

Onions - all types of these are wonderful for flavor and health. Stores well for up to 8 months IF you cure them first. Keep them away from your potatoes! Some cultivars store better than others. Yellow Globe Heirloom, Red Creole Heirloom, Southport White Heirloom, Stuttgarter Heirloom and Brunswick Heirloom all do well.

1684338208371.jpeg

Garlic - another one that is full of flavor and healthy for you! These must be hung to dry.

1684339115133.jpeg

Potatoes - who could do without these? Mashed, baked, fried they are high in calories and so tasty.
With a storage life of up to 6 months. Leave them in the ground until the very end of Fall…unless the bed retains too much water.

1684339301680.jpeg

Sweet Potatoes - grows well in warm climates. These are another must have! Like regular potatoes be sure and cure the, before storing. Stores best in brown paper bags. They store well for 5 months.

Carrots - those in cold areas sometimes keep them in their garden beds. That is fine IF it isn’t too cold and not too wet. Myself, we store them in boxes, not touching each other filled with sand. Be sure to cut off the leaves before storage. Used pine shavings with the potatoes last year and did well.

Beets - these do not store as long, but 3 months is still good. You can always store for long enough to get you through fall and early winter, then pickle them. They store well in sand, peat moss and pine shavings. Be care careful to put enough of one of these between each layers for protection.

Cabbage - A very valuable vegetable! Contains nutrients that prevent many diseases like cancer and heart disease. Can be wrapped in newspaper and stored on the floor of your root cellar…or store plant roots and head on shelves a few inches apart. You can also hang them by the roots from the ceiling. They will last up to 4 months. Some folks dig 2 ft pits outdoors, line them with straw, cover with straw and then a tarp. Haven't tried it yet.

These items above will go a long way to keeping you well fed and healthy during the winter!

Attachments

• 1684339065803.jpeg
    1684339065803.jpeg
    66 KB · Views: 0
  • 1684339260254.jpeg
    1684339260254.jpeg
    52 KB · Views: 0
BEST PLANTS FOR WINTER STORAGE

Has anyone else determined what and how much food they will have to grow and store to survive a winter without previous preps? I decided to figure this out. Of major importance is the ability to grow the “right” food. Food that will store the longest. I won’t include grains in this list because we all know how to store those for long term keeping. This is a list of valuable veggies that will keep well.

View attachment 19794
Winter Squash - of the variety out there the best are: Butternut, Acorn, kabocha, certain type pumpkins and spaghetti squash. All of these are filled with great nutrients and will keep well for around 6 months if stored properly.

View attachment 19795
Onions - all types of these are wonderful for flavor and health. Stores well for up to 8 months IF you cure them first. Keep them away from your potatoes! Some cultivars store better than others. Yellow Globe Heirloom, Red Creole Heirloom, Southport White Heirloom, Stuttgarter Heirloom and Brunswick Heirloom all do well.

View attachment 19796
Garlic - another one that is full of flavor and healthy for you! These must be hung to dry.

View attachment 19798

Potatoes - who could do without these? Mashed, baked, fried they are high in calories and so tasty.
With a storage life of up to 6 months. Leave them in the ground until the very end of Fall…unless the bed retains too much water.

View attachment 19800
Sweet Potatoes - grows well in warm climates. These are another must have! Like regular potatoes be sure and cure the, before storing. Stores best in brown paper bags. They store well for 5 months.

Carrots - those in cold areas sometimes keep them in their garden beds. That is fine IF it isn’t too cold and not too wet. Myself, we store them in boxes, not touching each other filled with sand. Be sure to cut off the leaves before storage. Used pine shavings with the potatoes last year and did well.

Beets - these do not store as long, but 3 months is still good. You can always store for long enough to get you through fall and early winter, then pickle them. They store well in sand, peat moss and pine shavings. Be care careful to put enough of one of these between each layers for protection.

Cabbage - A very valuable vegetable! Contains nutrients that prevent many diseases like cancer and heart disease. Can be wrapped in newspaper and stored on the floor of your root cellar…or store plant roots and head on shelves a few inches apart. You can also hang them by the roots from the ceiling. They will last up to 4 months. Some folks dig 2 ft pits outdoors, line them with straw, cover with straw and then a tarp. Haven't tried it yet.

These items above will go a long way to keeping you well fed and healthy during the winter!
Thank you for this!

I have calculated what we eat but I had some major failure in my onions this year. Potatoes aren't doing so well (again!) either. I bought all my squash/carrots/cabbage based on what stores well. I just hope no mice get to them!

I plan to build a solar dehydrator sometime this summer so I can dry some more things than I usually do. I wish I had the funds for a freeze dryer!

Got the rototiller running this morning and started tilling the garden. Should be done in a couple more hours. Planted 7 concord grape plants where the old pig pen was. We may plant another dozen concords next year. After lunch I'll start burning the waste fron the orchard and berries. We have a big pile in the garden to burn. We'll plant the fruit trees tomorrow.
We're hoping to start planting in the garden by next week.

Thank you for this!

I have calculated what we eat but I had some major failure in my onions this year. Potatoes aren't doing so well (again!) either. I bought all my squash/carrots/cabbage based on what stores well. I just hope no mice get to them!

I plan to build a solar dehydrator sometime this summer so I can dry some more things than I usually do. I wish I had the funds for a freeze dryer!
I have a cold frame with a glass storm door as cover. It dries herbs and fruit so fast. It was simple to make.

I am just throwing this out there
Just because it is edible, your system might not to be used to it.
I love the taste of wood sorrel.
Did some white pine tea, after effects not so pleasant.
To do natural harvesting, you need to know what it is.
Wild carrot (Queen Ann lace/Poison Hemlock being a prime example)
And have your body acclimated to it. The white pine tea was a prime learning experience.
Now, back to gardening.

All of our concord grape plants died. So I just ordered 8 more 3 year old plants.
Too cold, too wet?
I'm surprised. Concord is an American grape. I would have thought they'd do well there.

I'm really getting nervous. I have been working hard but our garden is still not planted except a handful of things. We have so much work to do and I'm just praying we can still get a good harvest.

Too cold, too wet?
I'm surprised. Concord is an American grape. I would have thought they'd do well there.

I'm really getting nervous. I have been working hard but our garden is still not planted except a handful of things. We have so much work to do and I'm just praying we can still get a good harvest.
Too wet I think. I had a hard time finding a nursery that would ship concord grape plants to my state. So I ordered some from a nursery in Georgia, and thinking they might sell out, I ordered them way too early.
If the 8 plants that I just ordered survive, we'll order another dozen or so for this fall.

Latest posts

Back