Gardening 2023

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is just now coming into sweet potato planting time. They require a soil temperature not to go lower than 60F. They don’t grow unless the temps are very warm, as in the 80s and up. If the chicken poo hadn’t composted enough, then it burnt up the potato slips. Use rabbit poo. It is useful the minute it is available and never burns plants.

This is a great idea for anyone wanting to build a hoop house to extend your growing season and/or protect your crops from bugs! Would be very inexpensive to build. Look for used cattle panels at farm auctions and on places like fb.

1683632499469.png

These cattle panels make a 10’ wide by 8’ high tunnel. You need a few to get a good length as they are 50” deep.

That's a good idea for using the livestock panels GP. We use a couple panels cut in half for growing beans and cucumbers on. I have plans to nail some panels between posts for the grape vines to grow on. I had wire between the post but the snow crushes the plants and pulls the posts out.
Right now it's so wet that we can't even walk in the garden.

That's a good idea for using the livestock panels GP. We use a couple panels cut in half for growing beans and cucumbers on. I have plans to nail some panels between posts for the grape vines to grow on. I had wire between the post but the snow crushes the plants and pulls the posts out.
Right now it's so wet that we can't even walk in the garden.

Figures you have cattle panels! If you build a hoop house, be sure and put those foamy pipe covers over the ends or even swimming “noodles”…which are dirt cheap. It will keep your cover from getting holes in it.

We've had great weather here with highs in the upper 60's and lows in the 40's. The wife is going to start planting in the raised beds today. We may get the concord grape plants in the ground too.

Looks like 1 cherry and 1 apple tree didn't make it through the winter, the rest of the orchard is looking good. We bought 2 apple, 1 peach, 1 cherry and 1 plum tree. Might start planting them in the next couple of days. The asparagus is coming up nicely and some herbs are too.

We're getting a nice pile of garden debris built up that I'll need to burn soon.

The yellow jackets and hornets are out now. I need to mix up some poison for them. I bought some Onslaught that I'll mix with tuna fish catfood. I'll put the mixture in plastic bottles where the yellow jackets can get to it and birds can't. They take it back to the nest and kills the entire nest, or its supposed to.

I put up six quarts of fresh green beans from our garden yesterday..before going to mothers for cook out..I vacuum sealed them in quart size instead of canning..next round I'm canning.

We use the cattle panels for peas n green beans ...from one raised garden bed to another..they are great for those veggies. We do also have a green house made with cattle panels...but the pool noodle idea I hadn't thought about..

I put up six quarts of fresh green beans from our garden yesterday..before going to mothers for cook out..I vacuum sealed them in quart size instead of canning..next round I'm canning.

We use the cattle panels for peas n green beans ...from one raised garden bed to another..they are great for those veggies. We do also have a green house made with cattle panels...but the pool noodle idea I hadn't thought about..
My beans are about 6 inches high. Way to early for us to have ready to eat. I'm hoping to have somebeans by June 18th and the reunion

I watched a video this morning about Cleavers. I always thought of them as stick weeds that leave balls on your clothes and pets.

Turns out they are very healthy and far as blood cleansing and cleaning kidneys and water paths in body. Helpsmget ridnof bruising. Other benefits too.

Last week I ripped out so many and tossed them because I didn't know.

Would some of you mountain folk up in Tennessee and Kentucky post something about tobacco growing. I tried growing it once, but the crap I grew was not fit for human consumption. It was downright humbling to even ever mention it in public again.
This would be a great lesson.

Our sweetpeas are ready to start harvesting. They were planted in Nov. and are 2 ft. tall now. We can start picking small onions for breakfast also. Other things are coming along well but we have had rain for the last 5 days and it is too wet to do anything in the garden.
Helenas father grew tobacco and she remembers picking, cutting, hanging to dry and such but the secrets to grow it...she was too young. We have wild tobacco everywhere here from the old "cultivated" tobacco fields which are no longer allowed to be tilled and harvest tobacco. The wild tobacco is considered poisonous for some reason which the locals cannot explain.
Check the internet and you tube for more info.

We have wild tobacco everywhere here from the old "cultivated" tobacco fields which are no longer allowed to be tilled and harvest tobacco. The wild tobacco is considered poisonous for some reason which the locals cannot explain.
When I looked up "wild tobacco" I came up with this. What I find interesting is that Perique tobacco, grown in Louisiana and processed using a Native American process, sounds a lot like it. I have smoked straight Perique and it knocked my on my butt. It is so strong that it is nearly always blended with other tobacco.

Nicotiana rustica, commonly known as Aztec tobacco or strong tobacco, is a rainforest plant in the family Solanaceae. It is a very potent variety of tobacco, containing up to nine times more nicotine than common species of Nicotiana such as Nicotiana tabacum (common tobacco).More specifically, N. rustica leaves have a nicotine content as high as 9%, whereas N. tabacum leaves contain about 1 to 3%. The high concentration of nicotine in its leaves makes it useful for producing pesticides, and it has a wide variety of uses specific to cultures around the world. However, N. rustica is no longer cultivated in its native North America, (except in small quantities by certain Native American tribes) as N. tabacum has replaced it.

Russia

In Russia, N. rustica is called makhorka (маxорка).
Historically, makhorka was smoked mainly by the lower classes. N. rustica is a hardy plant and can be grown in most of Russia (as opposed to N. virginiana which requires a warm climate), it was more readily and cheaply available, and did not depend on transport in a country with an underdeveloped road network and climatic portage problems. This remained the case until ordinary tobacco became widely available in the 20th century. During Soviet times, rustic tobacco was an important industrial crop of agriculture. In those times, dozens of varieties were bred, some of them considered equal in quality to N. virginiana. In modern times, makhorka is still sometimes smoked by peasants and farmers due to its high availability and being almost free for them.

Vietnam

The plant is called Thuốc lào in Vietnam, and is most commonly smoked after a meal on a full stomach to "aid indigestion", or along with green tea or local beer (most commonly the cheap bia hơi). A "rít" of thuốc lào is followed by a flood of nicotine to the bloodstream inducing strong dizziness that lasts several seconds. Heavy cigarette smokers have had trouble with the intense volume of smoke and the high nicotine content; side effects include nausea and vomiting.

Do any of you grow and process dried beans? Great Northern or Pinto type? I grow green beans, but have never tried dried.

Comments please.

I’ve grown pinto and Northern beans, as well a some others for storage. Just leave them in the garden on your trellis until after the first frost. Then clip them off and lay out on a flat sheet. I use old cookie sheets in the sun for a week or two in my greenhouse. Then I store them in mason jars. Easy peasy! Some people dehydrate them, but why take the extra effort and use electric?

Wr grow lots of dried- mainly black turtle but pinto, christmas, and lima, too. I don't think I have ever had a problem with them filling the pods though I do get some different fungal problems if it is too wet. I like to plant densely, but with beans, I can't. A softer mulch helps to keep rain from splashing the leaves, but I just mulch everything the same, so that's probably not helpful, either.

We grow runner beans for decorative/edible out front and they definitely don't produce in hot weather, though. They're the ones with the pretty blooms and the big, fat beans. They're good in chili.

Latest posts

Back