Gardening 2022

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are national organic standards set by the USDA. I do not believe the above ruling adheres to that guide line at all. Nor do I believe that the determination of that falls under the perimeter of I am assuming a county DA.

You can believe what you like, I read the Certification for this state.
My blueberries are organic & I have the right to sale them as organic for twenty years now.
Our rule is five years last I read the rules, how do you get to water it down to three years.

There are national organic standards set by the USDA. I do not believe the above ruling adheres to that guide line at all. Nor do I believe that the determination of that falls under the perimeter of I am assuming a county DA. You can believe what you like, I read the Certification for this state. My blueberries are organic & I have the right to sale them as organic for twenty years now. Our rule is five years last I read the rules, how do you get to water it down to three years.
1. While organic guidelines are Federal most states govern their own state certifications. Having gardened in several different states the enforcement and interpretation greatly differs between states.

"Our rule is five years last I read the rules, how do you get to water it down to three years"

Wow! I simply personally just linked to a state agricultural site in my state giving the guidelines to the state in which I reside. I personally did not water down anything and could really care less what you do with your blueberries. Confrontational much ?

I will make the blanket suggestion to all gardeners to check with your individual state USDA office or local Extension Service on what the requirements are if you are interested in selling or producing organic produce in your individual state. Especially if you are transporting across state lines.

While it is not done often a USDA raid and inspection can lead to more problems than you want to address. Fines and attorneys can get expensive. I personally know a grower that lost their farm from this very mistake.

Just throwing that info out there.

Link:
USDA National Agricultural Marketing Service, Organic Enforcement

Last edited:
"I will make the blanket suggestion to all gardeners to check with your individual state USDA office or local Extension Service on what the requirements are if you are interested in selling or producing organic produce in your individual state. Especially if you are transporting across state lines."

That what I did & you said I was misinformed in so many words.
You could have been kinder & now I am the bad guy??

Again for anyone interested in producing and selling certified organic produce take the time to research the restrictions, certification process and requirements within your own state. Do your due diligence and research for your own protection. Regardless of District Attorney rulings in any state that may or may not apply to you. If you say that your produce is organic and sell it as such take the time to complete the certification correctly according to your own individual state. If not the Federal penalties as set by congress are as follows:

Penalties -

(1) Agricultural Marketing Service.
(i) Civil penalty for improper record keeping codified at 7 U.S.C. 136i-1(d), has: A maximum of $1,036 in the case of the first offense, and a minimum of $2,012 in the case of subsequent offenses, except that the penalty will be less than $2,012 if the Secretary determines that the person made a good faith effort to comply.
(ii) Civil penalty for a violation of the unfair conduct rule under the Perishable Agricultural Commodities Act, in lieu of license revocation or suspension, codified at 7 U.S.C. 499b(5), has a maximum of $5,638.
(iii) Civil penalty for violation of the licensing requirements under the Perishable Agricultural Commodities Act, codified at 7 U.S.C. 499c(a), has a maximum of $1,800 for each such offense and not more than $449 for each day it continues, or a maximum of $449 for each offense if the Secretary determines the violation was not willful.
(iv) Civil penalty in lieu of license suspension under the Perishable Agricultural Commodities Act, codified at 7 U.S.C. 499h(e), has a maximum penalty of $3,599 for each violative transaction or each day the violation continues.
(v) Civil penalty for a violation of the Export Apple Act, codified at 7 U.S.C. 586, has a minimum of $163 and a maximum of $16,444.
(vi) Civil penalty for a violation of the Export Grape and Plum Act, codified at 7 U.S.C. 596, has a minimum of $314 and a maximum of $31,465.
(vii) Civil penalty for a violation of an order issued by the Secretary under the Agricultural Adjustment Act, reenacted with amendments by the Agricultural Marketing Agreement Act of 1937, codified at 7 U.S.C. 608c(14)(B), has a maximum of $3,147. Each day the violation continues is a separate violation.
(viii) Civil penalty for failure to file certain reports under the Agricultural Adjustment Act, reenacted by the Agricultural Marketing Agreement Act of 1937, codified at 7 U.S.C. 610(c), has a maximum of $314.
(ix) Civil penalty for a violation of a seed program under the Federal Seed Act, codified at 7 U.S.C. 1596(b), has a minimum of $107 and a maximum of $2,146.
(x) Civil penalty for failure to collect any assessment or fee for a violation of the Cotton Research and Promotion Act, codified at 7 U.S.C. 2112(b), has a maximum of $3,147.
(xi) Civil penalty for failure to pay, collect, or remit any assessment or fee for a violation of a program under the Potato Research and Promotion Act, codified at 7 U.S.C. 2621(b)(1), has a minimum of $1,411 and a maximum of $13,009.
(xii) Civil penalty for failure to obey a cease and desist order under the Potato Research and Promotion Act, codified at 7 U.S.C. 2621(b)(3), has a maximum of $1,411. Each day the violation continues is a separate violation.
(xiii) Civil penalty for failure to pay, collect, or remit any assessment or fee or for a violation of a program under the Egg Research and Consumer Information Act, codified at 7 U.S.C. 2714(b)(1), has a minimum of $1,631 and a maximum of $16,308.
(xiv) Civil penalty for failure to obey a cease and desist order under the Egg Research and Consumer Information Act, codified at 7 U.S.C. 2714(b)(3), has a maximum of $1,631. Each day the violation continues is a separate violation.
(xv) Civil penalty for failure to remit any assessment or fee or for a violation of a program under the Beef Research and Information Act, codified at 7 U.S.C. 2908(a)(2), has a maximum of $12,722.
(xvi) Civil penalty for failure to remit any assessment or for a violation of a program regarding wheat and wheat foods research, codified at 7 U.S.C. 3410(b), has a maximum of $3,147.
(xvii) Civil penalty for failure to pay, collect, or remit any assessment or fee or for a violation of a program under the Floral Research and Consumer Information Act, codified at 7 U.S.C. 4314(b)(1), has a minimum of $1,481 and a maximum of $14,807.
(xviii) Civil penalty for failure to obey a cease and desist order under the Floral Research and Consumer Information Act, codified at 7 U.S.C. 4314(b)(3), has a maximum of $1,481. Each day the violation continues is a separate violation.
(xix) Civil penalty for violation of an order under the Dairy Promotion Program, codified at 7 U.S.C. 4510(b), has a maximum of $2,737.
(xx) Civil penalty for pay, collect, or remit any assessment or fee or for a violation of the Honey Research, Promotion, and Consumer Information Act, codified at 7 U.S.C. 4610(b)(1), has a minimum of $822 and a maximum of $8,433.
(xxi) Civil penalty for failure to obey a cease and desist order under the Honey Research, Promotion, and Consumer Information Act, codified at 7 U.S.C. 4610(b)(3), has a maximum of $843. Each day the violation continues is a separate violation.

Further penalties and accurate information can be found at links:

Code of Federal Regulations

USDA National Agricultural Marketing Service, Organic Enforcement

Last edited:
If you give your cows or horses antibiotics, and then use their natural fertilizer, it’s not organic In authorities minds.
I agree with AD- it’s a scam to get more $$$. I avoid the labeled organic most of the time.
I have been forced to buy hard boiled organic eggs at a big box store. They go bad well before their expiration date. Regular ones don’t. Thats why they are on the business center list.

If you give your cows or horses antibiotics, and then use their natural fertilizer, it’s not organic In authorities minds.
I agree with AD- it’s a scam to get more $$$. I avoid the labeled organic most of the time.
I have been forced to buy hard boiled organic eggs at a big box store. They go bad well before their expiration date. Regular ones don’t. Thats why they are on the business center list.
I agree with you EW. I do not buy organic anything but simply strive to produce my own. The whole certification process requirement is vague and the restrictions ridiculous in many cases. All so people can charge more for their produce. There are so many instances of things being labeled organic that are not that it truly is a rip off in many instances.

For me personally I feel like dealing with the USDA is like dealing with the IRS. Just open your checkbook and start adding zeroes.

However if you are going to charge more for your produce because it is organic then you are going to have to jump through the USDA's hoops and whistles to do so. Otherwise you are just ripping the consumer off.

That being said I am sure the USDA enjoys collecting all those fines from people that don't do their homework.

Everything i raise and grow here is "organic". It doesn't matter to me because I would never get a government designation for anything I sell. The people that buy my beef know how it was raised.
EXACTLY!! I sold organic produce off my farm for years and my customers did not need a certification sticker to buy it. They came back year after year because I sold a good product for a fair price. They could walk through my fields or visit any time if they wanted to see how it was grown.

Everything i raise and grow here is "organic". It doesn't matter to me because I would never get a government designation for anything I sell. The people that buy my beef know how it was raised.
You sound like Joel Salatin pasture grown meats & vegetables. I love that guy, he is down to earth & up to date all at the same time.

WE had organic coffee, we had to clean all the non organic coffee out of the transfer system before & after roasting, that cost in time & labor, so the cost is not alway money grabbers. Sometimes it is to make sure your organic is in mixed with non organic/ regular food product.
We produced organic coffee & herbs for an nationwide grocery, before I retired & were inspected annually by USDA, it was not fun, they made the IRS look like sunday school. The paper work had to have every I dotted & T crossed, it was the hardest of four annual inspection we had every year & none of them where a walk in the park.
Organic has become a fad & all fads go overboard, just like raised bed that are really bottomless container.
I have double dug in ground beds that are still working well after twenty years & an orchard that has no raised beds. I have sandy loam soil, no rocks, never too wet. So the only reason for raised bed is to save space & with a two acre garden, space is never a problem.
OGM sold me on double dug bed long before I discovered that I did not need them, I have them so I use them.

We produced organic coffee & herbs for an nationwide grocery, before I retired have them so I use them.
LOL, I did just the opposite, I started roasting at home AFTER I retired. Thought about going commercial, but...
Once I got it figured out, and found good inexpensive sources of coffee, it's cheaper than buying supermarket roasted coffee.

My neighbor took store bought dried beans, soaked them overnight and planted. The are growing. I had no idea this could be done.
I did the bean plant thing as a teenager. You do not have to soak them, just plant in good earth in a paper cup or paper egg carton and keep them wet. Shortly after they come up you can put them in the ground.
BTW: if you pick your pinto beans just before they get ripe and start to dry, get them cut or get the beans out of the pods and freeze them...they will not give you so much gas when you eat them....

We picked the garlic a couple days ago and are getting a few tomatoes now. Still getting a lot of raspberries and the blackberries are about a week away, and looks like a bumper crop. The pie cherries are ready to pick, and the apple and plum trees are loaded with fruit and are probably a month away from being ripe. The rabbits are eating the tops of the onions. I'll get a trap set for them today. We have some nice sized watermelon that should be ready in a week or so. The corn is starting to get some ears, might be ready in a couple of weeks.
That all sounds great Arctic, but I hope you are not overloading your wife with her bad foot. That is a lot of canning and freezing it sounds like.

Everything i raise and grow here is "organic".
Nothing goes into my garden except cow manure, cut grass and leaves, the compost we make and once a year a light dusting of the normal potassium, nitrates (only 5 lbs. in the whole garden of 20,000 sq. ft.) and ashes from our wood fired heater in the garage in the winter. Absolutely organic down the the well water used to water it all with...not even city water on the garden.

LOL, I did just the opposite, I started roasting at home AFTER I retired. Thought about going commercial, but...
Once I got it figured out, and found good inexpensive sources of coffee, it's cheaper than buying supermarket roasted coffee.
We blend hundreds of pounds of coffee & we blended tea also, but that is another story.
Do you get it blended or do you blend it, or is it unblended coffee of just one type?
It only matters to you, you are drinking it, but i had to ask.

That all sounds great Arctic, but I hope you are not overloading your wife with her bad foot. That is a lot of canning and freezing it sounds like.
Right now all the berry's are being frozen, except for some that she made juice out of. I can't keep that woman out of the garden. Then she can't sleep at night from the pain.
Yesterday she and the grandkids picked cherries and berries. Then we went swimming.

I can't keep that woman out of the garden. Then she can't sleep at night from the pain.
Helen had stomach and throat cancer...has no stomach any more, one third less throat and she cannot eat slowly and then JUST SIT for a half hour after eating (LIKE THE DOC SAID) and also cannot eat late evenings without coughing up some of it if her pillow is not at the right angle to keep her head higher than her throat...had her right arm paralysed for half a year after the BS doctor twisted her neck "as therapy" and severed a nerve in her neck C5 area. She lost most of her muscle strength and never got it back...she still tries to work in the garden, house, cleaning, washing, vacuuming, walking the dog, etc, etc, and still cries at night that she can't sleep from the pain....we both have wives with the SAME BLOOD TYPE: work till you drop - negative....

We got our first seed catalog a few days ago, Butler Creek i think. Got the Murry McMurray chicken catalog too. The wife and I are getting our orders together for seeds and chicks. We want to get our orders in early in case there's any shortages this spring.
We own a small-business that sells heirloom / non GMO seeds if you guys are looking for alternative suppliers. You can find us here: Vegetable seeds, non GMO seeds to buy or learn about

Since I watched a video on using human urine as fertilizer, they are popping up everywhere. I never realized that many people used urine. There are differences in the ratio 5:1, 8:1 etc. Also, it seems that a persons' diet and drug consumption would have lots to do with whether your urine is viable.

Latest posts

Back