Gardening 2022

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just about done with putting up chicken and puppy proof fencing around the garden and orchard. Tonight we'll clip the chicken wings so they can't fly over the fence. I'm looking to get a fence charger to put electric up around the fence and the bee hives to keep bears and deer out.
Down to the last few fruit trees to plant in the orchard.
Got 3 trays of habanaro peppers in the smoker and a large bag of dried ghost peppers rehydrating. Will make hot sauce with it tomorrow.
Putting a chicken on the rotisserie right now for dinner and eating a big bowl of strawberries for a snack.
Yesterdays high was 45, today its almost 50.

Last edited:
Wow, Cindyd, you are on full speed ahead! That's awesome!
I talked the granddaughters into weeding the garden this morning, and it looks alot better. I need to get a fence up, my cauliflower and broccoli disappears the day after I plant it. Rabbits. Annoying.
Our greens have been doing super well so far this spring. Too many for us to eat for sure, but planted so many so I can use it for feed for the animals, too. The giant spinach is amazing.

You really are doing fantastic!! I’m drooling over all your citrus trees!! I’ve only got two lemon and one cutie orange tree. Can’t leave them outside year round here. Sigh. So hubby hauls them in and out of the greenhouse for me.

Let me just say the fruit n citrus trees are in the ground. Years past, I haven't had good luck with them. I planted in different areas this time, higher and dryer soil, bought bigger trees, the pear are dwarfs, and I got 4 of the "snowbird" lemon n lime that you can pull inside or outside in containers (as a back up if ones in ground don't make it). So far they all still look good, but If they end up dying on me this time, Im sorry to say im going to give up and replace with more berry bushes.

We finished planting the fruit trees, grape and blackberry bushes yesterday. We have some concord grapes and mairon berry plants coming from out of state in about 2 weeks. Also tilled the garden area again. One more tilling and we should be able to plant by June 1st.
We're going down south today to pick up some garden plants, strawberry plants, mulch, fertilizer, feed and fencing supplies.
We'll need to start watering the orchard tomorrow. Not likely to get anymore rain until October.

After 4 days of rain, my gardens have so many weeds. Also, the rain must have been really hard, because the newspaper mulch is shredded in spots.

I told my son I am going to make our list for tomorrow since we are so behind. The work is piling up.

We’ve had a lot of rain too. I was able to get out yesterday and weed some between showers. Yeah it was wet, but I put down so much straw in the paths I didn‘t get muddy. My sunflowers are loving it. The squash are growing so quickly it is shocking. Bean plants too. Even the red cabbage!

Those mole repellant vibrators are flipping amazing!! 😁 Not a dead or missing plant or hole since I put them in!

We had some mole/gopher vibrators, too. Worked noticeably on our resident gopher at the cabin, but then sort of stopped buzzing/vibrating. The literature that shipped with them said they didn't work well in rain ( :mad:which is astounding for something designed to be used outside). We also found it a nuisance to pull them up for mowing. So we only use them around the garden itself now.

Was weeding and noticed that I have more purslane coming up in my gardens. Wonder if Mother Nature is telling us we need to take advantage of these nutritious foods because we aren't going to have any other.

If I removed the mulch, I would have a lot more growing. Tried to transplant some to it'so own bed, but it didn't grow at all.

Perhaps they don’t work well in rain due to the fact they are solar? Mine have had no problems yet in all this rain. 🤞
I didn't word myself well. No, they basically stopped working at all after a week of heavy rain. Water was getting between the outer shell and the inner part, probably shorting it out? Not sure. But they dont' vibrate anymore (they're 2 years old)

Was weeding and noticed that I have more purslane coming up in my gardens. Wonder if Mother Nature is telling us we need to take advantage of these nutritious foods because we aren't going to have any other.

If I removed the mulch, I would have a lot more growing. Tried to transplant some to it'so own bed, but it didn't grow at all.
Be sure it's the edible purslane and not the copy-cat non-edible wild spurge. If the juice of the stems, when pinched, is milky, it's toxic spurge. If it's clear, it's the edible stuff, which I've grown and eaten in salads. Not very fond of it, but it tastes kind of lemon-y in salads.

Just recently I learned that pepper plants produce more if you cut off the tip when they are around 8” tall. Did mine last week and they are looking better already as far as starting to produce instead just grow taller.
I saw that too. That is on my list for today. I pulled the suckers off the cucumbers. I'm anxious to see if it makes a difference.

Be sure it's the edible purslane and not the copy-cat non-edible wild spurge. If the juice of the stems, when pinched, is milky, it's toxic spurge. If it's clear, it's the edible stuff, which I've grown and eaten in salads. Not very fond of it, but it tastes kind of lemon-y in salads.
I did check. Spurge is a flatter, less succulent plant, I think. The flea market here is mostly Hispanic and they give away bags of purslane with purchases. Must grow better in hot, dry climates.

I really don't know why none of my transplants lived.

Latest posts

Back