Gardening 2022

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We had a nice 60 degree day today, even let my greens get some sun. But down to 30 this weekend. Will be seeding some late winter/early spring things at the very end of the month.

What things are you seeding at the end of the month? Still working on continuing my gardening education. You and some others are full to the brim with it! :)

We are looking at a drop in temps today and the next few days. We had minus 9° C last night. (about 14°F) and they are predicting down to minus 15°C for a few days. Absolute ZERO FAHRENHEIT... Really hope the seeds we planted deeper than usual for onions, garlic, sweetpeas and parsnips all survive...:confused: they should come up in the first few weeks of March at the latest as an early harvest the way we have had warm Feb. days the last few years.

Brrrr! We are sitting at 30F this morning. Not bad, but are headed down to 18F in a few days. Ugh. Can you throw some additional leaves or mulch over them until out of that frigid weather? It would be awful to lose all of those wonderful vegetables. What type of system do you have for your sweet peas to grow on If I might ask?

End of the months seeding is for lettuce, spinach, kale, broccoli, cauliflower, beets, and cabbage. I'll seed indoors in the unheated greenhouse , unless the temps look in the teens, then I'll seed indoors in the house. We have 14 more weeks till the last frost, but the plants listed above can stand some cold.

End of the months seeding is for lettuce, spinach, kale, broccoli, cauliflower, beets, and cabbage. I'll seed indoors in the unheated greenhouse , unless the temps look in the teens, then I'll seed indoors in the house. We have 14 more weeks till the last frost, but the plants listed above can stand some cold.

I’m planting those (except for cabbage and beets) the beginning of February, as well as potatoes…in the greenhouse. We have another 12 weeks till the last frost. Do you ever grow cauliflower and broccoli in containers? I have, but don’t get a large yield. Wondering if it is the containers or me not doing something correctly?

What type of system do you have for your sweet peas to grow on If I might ask?
We have strewn compost on the garden, fresh hay, some nitrogen and phosphate (very little), ashes from the wood burning stove and ground up twigs from the acacia tree. The peas are about 5 inches apart and about 5 inches deep since late Nov. They will usually survive the cold without any covering since they are so deep. They will germinate in the early warm days of Feb./Mar. and we can harvest within 5 weeks after that. At about 7-8 inches height, we stretch a nylon net from front to back of the row, about 3 feet high and with 4 inch squares meshing. They climb well and we got so much last year that there are some still frozen in the freezer. Pea and cheese salad, green pea soup or mixed veggie soups are great.
ONLY...we cannot get non-GMO seeds here. I have searched and amazon or other places show "not available" on ALL HEIRLOOM seeds...🤬
Where can I order heirlooms and get them sent to Hungary without any import problems??? Contacts? Websites?

Where can I order heirlooms and get them sent to Hungary without any import problems??? Contacts? Websites

Luv a good pea soup with some bacon added! I can send you Heirloom seeds Gary. No problem. Private post me what type of seeds you would like and how many. What planting zone are you in?

I start in pots and them go to planting in ground on most things. Snap peas, beets, and carrots get seeded to the ground.

I was wanting to plant them in the greenhouse. Guess I will try them in the large 3’x6“ raised planters instead of the 12” pots. You think the pots are what has hindered their growth?

EDIT: 3’ X 6’ Raised Planters.

Last edited:
ONLY...we cannot get non-GMO seeds here. I have searched and amazon or other places show "not available" on ALL HEIRLOOM seeds...🤬
Where can I order heirlooms and get them sent to Hungary without any import problems??? Contacts? Websites?

Arche Noah Austria.
They offer over 600 species of rare vegetables, field crops, fruits, herbs, wild and ornamental plants.

Vitalis Biologische Zanden B.V.
They offer a wide range of organic vegetable seeds in Europe.
Impecta Frö Handel Julita, Sweden.

They sell organically grown seeds for health and environment.
Runåbergs fröer Spekeröd, Sweden.

They offer organically (and ecologically) grown seeds and also sell their products in other Scandinavian Countries.
Lindbloms Frö Kivik, Sweden.

They are well-known in Scandinavia for organic and untreated seeds from small scale commercial farming.
Phone: +46-414 708 80, Fax: +46-414 700 09 and Email: [email protected]

Rara Växter Stockholm, Sweden.
A small family business that was founded in 1987. They sell rare plants, cut the middleman and bought directly from growers to ensure top quality. Organic to the largest extent possible, though they have some non-organic seeds too.
Fobo – Organic Garden Bredaryd, Sweden.

They sell 100% all organic, which is called “ecological” in Sweden.
Franchi frö Sweden Seed.
company since 1783 specialized in organic, heirloom seed.
Email: info@franchifroer. se
Pratensis AB Lönashult, Sweden.

Specialized in wildflower meadows, with a strong emphasis on preserving endangered species.
Dreschflegel Witzenhausen, Germany.
Consist of 3 branches: 1) Flail GbR – union controlled organic farms for seed propagation, plant breeding and marketing online. 2) Profit association name Flail with sociology-politically active people with ecological interest. 3) The show garden “Schoenhagen” with countless varieties grown from the Flail range.
Ökologische Saaten Bingen, Germany.
Selling organic seeds in Germany and the United Kingdom. Check their website for product list.
Contact: +49 (0) 6035 1899-0 Fax: +49 (0) 6035 1899-40 Email: [email protected]

Hey guys! I’m adding blueberries to my container gardens this year. I’ve read that rabbiteye grows best here. Do any of y’all recommend a specific variety?

I’m in a colder zone than you Lexi, so won’t recommend what I grow here. What zone are you in? Rabbit eye doesn’t require many chill hours to bloom, so it’s a good one for TX.

I’m in a colder zone than you Lexi, so won’t recommend what I grow here. What zone are you in? Rabbit eye doesn’t require many chill hours to bloom, so it’s a good one for TX.
We are in zone 8b. I had no idea there were so many varieties and had never even heard of chill hours until the kids decided we needed blueberries growing. Also, I need to purchase two different varieties for pollination, correct?

We are in zone 8b. I had no idea there were so many varieties and had never even heard of chill hours until the kids decided we needed blueberries growing. Also, I need to purchase two different varieties for pollination, correct?

Most blueberry bushes do require a cross pollinator. And all produce much more with one. For your warmer zone do a search for zone 8 blueberries to find the ones recommended. Also, on orchard sites they normally have you put your zone in so you won’t purchase the wrong fruit tree or bush. Here is a chart for pollination.

1642516680247.jpg

Most blueberry bushes do require a cross pollinator. And all produce much more with one. For your warmer zone do a search for zone 8 blueberries to find the ones recommended. Also, on orchard sites they normally have you put your zone in so you won’t purchase the wrong fruit tree or bush. Here is a chart for pollination.

View attachment 14796
This chart is perfect! Thank you!

Latest posts

Back