Gardening 2022

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update. This is the first year of using cinder blocks. own herbs.

Basil is doing great
Oregano is great
Thyme is great
Stevia is so so. Growing but not abundant
Sage was good, but has since died back
Rosemary is not growing very well.
Chives are great and going to seed
Dill produced lots of good seeds

Definitely worth the price paid for the cinder blocks.

Update. This is the first year of using cinder blocks. own herbs.

Basil is doing great
Oregano is great
Thyme is great
Stevia is so so. Growing but not abundant
Sage was good, but has since died back
Rosemary is not growing very well.
Chives are great and going to seed
Dill produced lots of good seeds

Definitely worth the price paid for the cinder blocks.
Sorry for the typo. No idea how that autocorrected for to own

Been trying to find the proper spot. It says they spread a lot.
19-100_7725.JPG

Our elderberries are about 10 to 12 feet tall and 6 to 8 foot wide. I have 4 bushes two being commercial varieties from Stark Bros nursery and the other two from the woods. The two native are to ensure pollination. I get more elderberries than I could ever use for just us two. They do tend to put up suckers from the roots that have to be thinned regularly so as not to end up with a thicket which is their natural growth tendency. Mine are planted along a fence row. If you planted them with lawn surrounding them you could simply mow the suckers down. I use my elderberries for canned pie filling, elderberry jam and I dehydrate them for tea and tinctures. A super hardy plant for me. I thin the stalks every year taking out some of the oldest. If you want more bushes just dig up some of the sprouts and move or they root super easy just stick pieces down in dirt.

View attachment 17329
Our elderberries are about 10 to 12 feet tall and 6 to 8 foot wide. I have 4 bushes two being commercial varieties from Stark Bros nursery and the other two from the woods. The two native are to ensure pollination. I get more elderberries than I could ever use for just us two. They do tend to put up suckers from the roots that have to be thinned regularly so as not to end up with a thicket which is their natural growth tendency. Mine are planted along a fence row. If you planted them with lawn surrounding them you could simply mow the suckers down. I use my elderberries for canned pie filling, elderberry jam and I dehydrate them for tea and tinctures. A super hardy plant for me. I thin the stalks every year taking out some of the oldest. If you want more bushes just dig up some of the sprouts and move or they root super easy just stick pieces down in dirt.
Thanks DD. They are beautiful. How many hours sun do yours get? I read they need 8 hours. That is a lot..

All my tomatoes had got somewhat to size then got brown spots on them seems to a common problem around my area no spaghetti sauce this year i talked to a local vegetable stand and he said its been a common issue around here he said it was probably a disease from the seed. hope everyone here had luck with their gardens

My beans are about gone so I picked and broke enough for my 96 year old neighbor. He eyesight is very bad so I didn't want him to have to string them or look for black spots.

He lives alone and it is scary that he cooks, etc. I bought him a small crock pot so that he doesn't have to use an open flame on the stove.

Since mom caught a dish towel on fire, I take the burners apart before I leave the house. Mine is gas so the flame is very dangerous for her.

It is funny that we get excited about power tools, etc. When I got my pressure washer, I think I cried.
We are going to be building us a garden shed close to the chicken house. Same style, stain and roofing. Still deciding exact size. Is it silly that I’m excited about it? 🤪

On another subject...has anyone grown or baked with Hard Red Wheat? Hate to admit it, but I have not. Isn’t it the flour used for strong totally wheat breads? Does anyone like to bake with it?

ALERT - the USDA wants you to REGISTER YOUR GARDEN. Their "people's garden" program is NOT your grandma's victory garden brochure. It is—in their own words—creating a registry and map of small-scale food production.

DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES REGISTER YOUR GARDEN. No matter what benefits or enticements are offered.

"The USDA expanding its People’s Garden Initiative to include eligible gardens nationwide!

"School gardens, community gardens, urban farms, and small-scale agriculture projects in rural, suburban and urban areas can be recognized as a “People’s Garden” if they register on the USDA website and meet criteria including benefiting the community, working collaboratively, incorporating conservation practices and educating the public. Affiliate People’s Garden locations will be indicated on a map on the USDA website, featured in USDA communications, and provided with a People’s Garden sign.

source

IceAgeFarmer

A couple of weeks ago I posted pictures of some mushrooms growing on stumps. What I didn't know was that they are Turkey Tail mushrooms and very healthy/medicinal.

I harvested a gallon and am going to dry and make powders to add to tea, etc.

Are you going to give some to your husband to drink first? He likes tea, right?

Latest posts

Back