Gardening 2022

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No one has answered the question? I bought a watermelon with seeds to have some to save.
Seedless oranges and such are raised from a tree which has been Gene-manipulated and the oranges come every year..."seedless". Watermelons are done the same in certain areas. Seeds are manipulated to make the seedless watermelons and you have to buy them each year if the plant does not survive. Seldom, but possibly, there is an occasional seed in these "seedless" fruits and even then, only about 10% can ever be used to "re-produce" any further fruit. If and when this does produce (re-produce) for 5 generations...you have heirlooms again. But not definitely "seedless" again.
BTW; if and when you save watermelon seeds (cantelopes/honeydew melons)---you need to wait a year longer to use them, I have heard they grow better than if you use them immediately next year...any corrections are welcome. Gary

I watched you tube videos on moringa this morning and each one said the exact opposite of the other.

Water, don't water, grow in containers, don't grow in containers, etc.

I will start in container (large) and maybe plant next Spring.

My blackberryou harvest was probably 10 berries. They came ripe when our temp was high and no rain. I tried watering, but nope. Next year.......
Its so dry here that I need to water every other day. Its takes at least 8 hours to get everything watered. Starting this fall im going to work on putting in an irrigation system to make watering easier, and to insure only the plants and trees get water. Right now I'm wasting a lot of water on keeping weeds green.

I watched you tube videos on moringa this morning and each one said the exact opposite of the other.

Water, don't water, grow in containers, don't grow in containers, etc.

I will start in container (large) and maybe plant next Spring.
Robin, I watched a video of a guy on a moringa farm dig up one about 5-6' tall just to show it's root. They have a very large tap root like a pecan tree with only a few hairy roots coming off of it. So although you can grow them in a large container (like a trash can or barrel) for a couple years to start them out, as fast growing trees, they will need to be in the ground eventually or the root will be stunted and thus the top will as well. They like lots of water the first couple years, but what tree doesn't? In addition, you'll need to be prepared to haul that heavy container into a greenhouse or garage every winter, as they will NOT take a freeze. They are Asian plants and like hot, sunny weather and humid conditions. Some people I've chatted with on garden forums with older established trees have reported they tested not moving in winter and they see die back to the dirt line in a freeze. But after pruning off dead growth, established trees have come back anew off their roots the following Spring (all but after the Feb 2021 snow/icepocalypse Texas experienced, that is). That 100 year event pretty near killed everything tropical and much more! I lost established ligustrums and a 25', 8"diameter trunk loquat that season.

I have decided to make more vegetable powders than usual. They may not taste great, but are a great, light weight way to get vitamins and minerals in times of food shortages. Plus, they will be easier to hide than quart jars and prepper wolves might overlook them altogether.

How is this possible? I just planted these sweet potatoes about two months ago. I've already found two right under the surface. No telling how many are down deep.
These are the orange sweet potatoes. The white sweet potatoes just have a bunch of thin roots all over the place, and they were planted first.
YEHl4QH.jpg

No one has answered the question? I bought a watermelon with seeds to have some to save.
I have no idea how they grow food from 'seedless' food. Makes you wonder, but, I don't care enough to look it up, because I NEVER buy those food, the mystery of it not being natural is enough cause for alarm. Like you, I buy food that has seeds. I walk into a grocery store and I see seeds everywhere, not fruits or vegetables, LOL.
That's how I started all of my citrus trees, and other exotic fruits-just in case there's another world wide lock down, and stop on shipping imports,, I'll just grow my own exotic fruit. My dragon fruit is very fun to grow, right now they are about one inch tall, and look exactly like tiny cactus plants, which they are. The kiwi grows very fast, and the leaves are fuzzy, just like a kiwi! Very cute!!!
I'm sure if you really want to know, you could research 'seedless fruit propagation'. Maybe they are grafting, or splitting roots. GMO.....no thank you. And I'm sure there will be more and more 'seedless' this and that, they don't want you to grow your own.
They.....want to be in control of the food you eat, when you eat it, and IF.....you eat.
Control the food.....control the people.

How to Apply Diatomaceous Earth without Hurting Bees​

View attachment 16943

Can diatomaceous earth harm bees the way it harms other insects? We get this important question a lot. The short answer is yes; it can harm them. But it doesn't have to. It is possible to apply diatomaceous earth for pest control and not affect the bees.

As you might already know, DE is effective on insects because of their exoskeletons. DE scratches off and absorbs the waxy, oily coating on an insect's exoskeleton, which eventually leads to death by dehydration. DE can have this effect on bees too; however, bees have at least one advantage–possibly two–that protect them from the effects of DE.
The first and most obvious advantage bees have is that they are flying insects. For DE to take effect, an insect has to crawl through it. Because bees are mainly airborne, they are far less likely to come into contact with DE than other pests, such as ants, cockroaches, and bed bugs. So applying on soil, concrete, and other areas level to the ground shouldn't be a problem. It's also good to apply to plants as long as you follow these precautions:
  • Don't apply DE on blossoms or on foliage immediately surrounding them.
  • Only apply on the stems and leaves of plants if you don't see bees crawling on them.
  • If bees start crawling on the stems and leaves of a plant you have already applied DE on, spray it off with water.
  • Apply early in the morning or late in the evening when bees are less active. This will help bees avoid contact with clouds of DE dust that may puff up as you apply…

https://www.diatomaceousearth.com/b...apply-diatomaceous-earth-without-hurting-bees
Strange article. It looks like it's saying it's fine to use, but to me, it seems like some sort of off-shoot of Monsanto.
killing some by dehydration? 'scratches off and absorbs into an insects exoskeleton ...which "eventually" leads to death....so it's suffering for....how long?
And then the clincher.....will kill bugs like ants, cockroaches and bed bugs?
Since when do ants eat and destroy fruits or vegetables?
Since when do cockroaches destroy fruits or vegetables?
Since when do bed bugs....destroy fruits or vegetables?
Must just be me, but I don't understand this reasoning.
So bed bugs are going out into people's gardens and farms, and destroying crops that possibly a bumble bee is flying over and may land on that same flower of the fruit or vegetable? But since the bee can fly, it's okay?.....I don't know. Cockroaches in the garden? Never seen or heard of this.
I'd say just don't use the DE if it 'may' affect the bees. If we need the bees, why even run the risk?
It's not as if it's easy to get more bees....just run to the store, buy a pack of bee eggs/seed.....and scatter in the garden, soon you'll have new bees?
Hmmmmmm.
It's a good article to read though, I didn't know DE was killing bees.
It' must be killing a lot of bees, and people are complaining about it, for someone to write this article saying no, it won't kill bees, if YOU are careful about it. hm. It's not them, it's not the DE, it's your fault if the bees die. Just be more careful next time you apply it to your garden or farm.
Amazing how it's always OUR fault, isn't it?
I wonder how much money the writer was being paid to put that article out, and by whom. The makers of DE? Perhaps?
And here's a question....so, if you have bed bugs< you're suppose to sprinkle this DE on your mattress??
And, if there are cockroaches in your restaurant<you're suppose to sprinkle this DE around the floor?
Ants? they don't hurt my garden, if anything they are helping. They open my peonies, eat bugs off my cherry tree's leaves....and other things..

I'm currently germinating some peach and nectarine seeds in my kitchen window. It's a first for me doing them. We'll see if I live long enough to eat any fruit off them downstream. LOL I had a loquat I have been babying in a pot down at the cabin the past 1½ years. It was a seedling that dropped off below my 25' loquat tree that died in the Texas snowpocalypse of 2021. I was sad to see last week its leaves had browned off in our oppressive triple-digit heat. It's in a shadier spot now and I'm hoping it will come through the summer & put on some new leaves. It has dsone that weveral times now, so it's likely it will. It's only 1' tall, so I may lose it. :( I love loquat preserves.

Last edited:
What size/height is the moringa tree you ordered, Robin? Where did you order from? I so want to grow one. Have tried 3 times now with no success. I successfully got 5 seeds to germinate one spring and got the plants up to 1'-1½' tall. But the minute I planted all 5 out into the ground in my front yard, they started going downhill, stopped adding new growth & slowly died off. Not sure if it was the soil content (a wee bit of clay in that patch), or I was too rough with them during transplant or if maybe I didn't acclimate them to the full sun slowly enough. Every attempt to germinate since has been unsuccesful. Think my vendor sold me some bum seeds actually. I keep trying periodically though, hoping to germinate some again.
View attachment 16961
The same thing happened to my moringa trees, but I bought the seeds from Baker's Creek.
I had 5 plants all as tall as this one in the photo, then suddenly, it started to die. Don't know why.
They've all passed into plant heaven now. Along with my 'long beans' from Baker's Creek as well. And the cabbage, none grew more than 2 inches, and my Celtuce too. Not sure what's happening.

I got my first moringa seeds off eBay a few years back and they all germinated for me in under 10 days. But the seeds I bought last year were from another vendor (don't recall where or the name) and not a single one has germinated. I've tried groups of 5 seeds three times now and none have germinated, doing them the exact same way I had success germinating them 3 years ago. :(

I got my first moringa seeds off eBay a few years back and they all germinated for me in under 10 days. But the seeds I bought last year were from another vendor (don't recall where or the name) and not a single one has germinated. I've tried groups of 5 seeds three times now and none have germinated, doing them the exact same way I had success germinating them 3 years ago. :(
With all the seed problems people are having this year, I'm wondering if something is being done to them. Stop us from growing our own food?

Latest posts

Back