Gardening 2022

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For
My pickles are growing like wild too! Squash aren’t producing what they normally do.

For the first time, I have vine borers that a ruining my plants. I've lost 3 so far. I am replanting as I pull though. For a week, I had squash, but now, I am at a stalled period

For

For the first time, I have vine borers that a ruining my plants. I've lost 3 so far. I am replanting as I pull though. For a week, I had squash, but now, I am at a stalled period

I pulled a couple that were going wild growing, but producing nothing. Must have over-poured the fertilizer on those two. Oops!

I was so pleased my four yellow squash plants were setting some little squashes last week at the BOL. When we go down this coming week they should be ready to harvest. Happy they had no signs of leaf disease or insect issues, with zero input from me but weekly watering. :) Eggplant bushes are about 1' tall, but no blossoms yet. Tomatoes still setting blossoms and fruit. Am really surprised they are weathering the current heat with only weekly watering. That won't hold up much longer, when we get into triple digit temps in August/Sept. I'll have to set the auto-timed sprinkler on the garden probably this next trip down there.

Last edited:
I got a nice 8 yard load of top soil from a 95 year old local pasture delivered to me today. For my garden expansion. It's very rich, I can smell the manure in it.

20220709_dirt9.jpg

Got the orchard mowed this morning. It was cool enough that I had to wear a long sleeve shirt. Its up to 72 degs now. Everything in the garden and orchard are really growing good. I ate our first strawberries yesterday. Raspberries should be ready for picking in another week or so. I've got a buyer for all the raspberries that we want to sell. He'll take the blackberries that we want to sell too.
The ducks are living in the orchard now. They love their new swimming pool.

Wow I am shocked.

And I discovered handling the plants/leaves to expose the squash, I'm apparently sensitive to the hairy plant leaves/stems. Broke out in visible allergic-type bumps on the insides of both lower arms/wrists. Enough that I actually got out my epi-pen (though didn't have to use it) just in case. The bumps disappeared in about 1 hour total.

The rain we had last week made the weeds grow. I pulled three 5 gallon buckets of smashed down weeds.
I spent yesterday pulling weeds myself. By the time that storm got up here to us it had quite a bit of wind in it. Today it is picking up sticks out of the yard. Picking the last of my spring cabbage and making kraut. Think I will plant one last round of bush beans in their place.

I got woke up at 3am this morning to the sound of thunder and high winds. We didn't get a drop of rain. Had thunder off and on all day, still no rain. Its hot and humid out, 78 degs and 43% humidity.
Got the orchard watered today, garden will be tomorrow. Started working on the smoke house again yesterday. I'll be ready to put the roof on in the morning and then start siding.

Overall, I haven't gotten enough out of garden this year to make it worth fooling with. Very discouraged. Planted a lot but not getting much harvest. I'm probably in trouble if SHTF with gardening skills. Farmers market calling my name. At least I can get enough decent veggies to can, freeze, dehydrate, and stock away.

Latest posts

Back