Gardening 2022

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just picked some huckleberries. When I get enough, I will make jam.

20220514_333.jpg

Two inches of rain over the weekend but my garden needed it. Things were starting to dry out a bit. Going out to pick mustard greens this morning for canning. Still freezing asparagus every other day. Next harvest I think will be green peas. Had to put out beer bait cups for the snails in the romaine. Blackberries are blooming and I am up to 30 bushes so I should have plenty!

It looks like the ground has dried out enough to start tilling the garden again. We have several apple, cherry and plum trees to plant as well as blackberry and grapes to plant.
We're still clearing some ground up by the house. I'm leaving all of the big trees and pulling out everything under about 6" diameter, with the exception of the doug fir trees. If I have time today I'll pull the disc harrow out and start discing this area. The wife wants to plant alfalfa, clover and wild flowers in this area for her bees. Couldn't help myself and had to remind her that bees can fly and we have thousands of acres of wild flowers coming up everywhere right now.

Two inches of rain over the weekend but my garden needed it. Things were starting to dry out a bit. Going out to pick mustard greens this morning for canning. Still freezing asparagus every other day. Next harvest I think will be green peas. Had to put out beer bait cups for the snails in the romaine. Blackberries are blooming and I am up to 30 bushes so I should have plenty!
We just got a little rain. Needed more for the seedlings too get a good start.

I know it's too late this year, but how late in the season do you think onion SEEDS can be direct sown in zone 7a?

I bought some seeds because I have always planted sets but the you tube videos say you get bigger onions if started from seed.

I've never done onions from seeds but have recently heard that about starting from seeds yielding bigger bulbs over on my Natl. Gardening Forums. Tried some green onions from seed mid-march that haven't done much at all. I was surprised really by that. Little 3" wisps that just aren't getting taller of filling out at all. I do best with sets, personally. All my onions sets planted late March are producing bulbs about 1" in diameter so far (I peeked). I have some onion seeds stored and thought I'd try them from seed next year. I wouldn't think it too late to start from seeds now though. Keep us posted if you try it. I'd be curious how it works out for you.

Down under, we're coming into winter. I put new plastic on my hoophouse/greenhouse today and mulched the cabbages and Brussels sprouts, which are all coming along nicely. We had some wet stuff fall out of the sky over the last few days -- I seem to remember we called it rain. Yes, that's the word. I'd forgotten.

I know it's too late this year, but how late in the season do you think onion SEEDS can be direct sown in zone 7a?

I bought some seeds because I have always planted sets but the you tube videos say you get bigger onions if started from seed.

I start my onion seeds about February inside and I am in the same time zone. I direct seeded green onions in early march and they are now about 6 inches tall so I would venture to say you would do bulb onions at the same time. I have never direct seeded bulb onions though. I do agree that you get bigger onions from seeds rather than sets. Also make sure you buy the right kind of onions long day vs. short day onions for your zone as that can affect bulb size also.

Onions are often defined by the hours of daylight required for the plant to grow bulbs. These are know as short day, intermediate, and long day onions. Short day onions begin to develop bulbs when the day length increases to a length of 10 to 12 hours. These onions are best grown in the American South, and generally sweeter in taste. Their high sugar and water content make them best used for cooking and immediate use, not storage. Long-day onions require 14 to 16 hours of sunlight to grow bulbs and are best planted in the American North. With a low sugar , and high sulphur content, these onions are best for storage, or immediate use in the kitchen. Growing the wrong day length onion in the incorrect area will result in onions that don't grow to their full potential, so purchasing the proper day length is the first tip to success.

If you were to draw an imaginary line across the map of the country from San Francisco to the tip of South Carolina: gardeners north of the line should plant long day, while gardeners south of the line should plant short day in winter for a spring/summer harvest, while intermediate works well for north and south.

You are making great progress!!! BRAVO!! 👏 So how many trees does that make now?

8 fruit-bearing trees: 1 fig, 1 peach, 1 pear, 1 fuji apple, 1 Texas Torchwood and 3 pawpaw.........oh, and 5 raspberry bushes. I also planted a 'Toothache Tree' for medicinal use: Zanthoxylum clava-herculis - Wikipedia. All the other trees down there are 4 mature producing hickory nut trees and one young pecan tree that's maybe 5 years old? The pecan isn't producing yet. If the trees I'v added don't produce fruit in a timely manner (they're all grafted trees, which speeds up fruiting), someone will inherit them when THEY buy the place one day. Fruit trees are always a selling feature. I just hope it's not some globalist! :)

We planted a chestnut tree near the garden and it will also be producing in some years. Hope the kids like it or sell it to someone who does. We decided also to replace a sick apricot tree which only has 7 apricots on it, with a cherry tree. That will also need a few years to start producing, but, you gotta start sometime, right?

Latest posts

Back