Garden

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nbagreats01

Reaction score
Hey All. Happy Memorial Day. Well over the weekend my dad and I put our garden in. Hopeful that we are canning by the 4th of July.
This year we planted:
Tomatoes
Beats
Collard greens
Bell peppers
Banana peppers
Okra
Cherries

What are yall planting?

A little of everything. Already been picking and canning. Lettuce, herbs, onions, garlic, asparagus, mustard greens, spinach, snow peas, green beans, beets, radishes, & bell, banana, tobasco, & jalapeno peppers, tomaotes, pumpkin, cantaloupe, watermelon, corn, okra, cowpeas, lima beans, mammoth sunflowers, pinto beans, potatoes. I live down south so we get a jump start.

We're a little behind this year because of the crazy weather! But, we have 3 varieties of kale, 3 varieties of lettuce, radicchio, green and purple basil, 5 varieties of onion, 3 varieties of garlic (trying to determine which I like better), green (bunching) onions, 5 varieties of radishes so far, spinach, kohlrabi, cabbage, beets, brussels sprouts, too many varieties of hot pepper to count/list, red, green, yellow and orange bell peppers, stevia, cumin, cilantro, thyme, oregano, marjoram, spearmint, peppermint, dill, 2 varieties of artichokes, broccoli, cauliflower, peas, sweet potatoes. I have yet to put seeds in the ground for our beans (green and dry), carrots, squash, pumpkin, watermelon, cantaloupe, zucchini. Oh, and I totally forgot, TOMATOES.

We have 10 patches of rhubarb for my enjoyment. And it looks like we might get apples this year (last year they froze off and we got NONE!!!). Also, plum trees are blooming well.

We have wild nettles that I'll be harvesting this year along with the motherwort, mullein and catnip. I don't do any other wild herbal things. Most things I do are for tea but are multipurpose.

G'day. Down Under, it's coming into autumn/winter. Put in brocolli, brussel sprouts, cabbage, radish, swedes, garlic, peas, snow peas & broad beans. Good luck with your garden, I have a 6 month old kelpie who helps me before i wake each day to dig up my garden. Can't get through to her that her help, though appreciated, is not wanted :(

Hey All. Happy Memorial Day. Well over the weekend my dad and I put our garden in. Hopeful that we are canning by the 4th of July.
This year we planted:
Tomatoes
Beats
Collard greens
Bell peppers
Banana peppers
Okra
Cherries

What are yall planting?
Havn't planted nearly as much this year as last due to a lot of stuff not coming up, so I've opted to try a few new seed types and the seeds from last years plants, plus a couple plants that came up last year.

I'm mostly just lentils, and some mustard greens/kale, radish, but I'm also getting some long term stuff in like cranberry bushes.

Some peas, carrots, basil, strawberry, a handful of pumpkin seeds, maybe I'll get the flowers to actually stay on this time. Not much time left I suppose to get stuff in the ground. I'll probably put in a few more things but I've been concentrating on expanding my garden space as everything was really compacted. I'd lilke to have planted some more oats this year and more of them but alas I don't think I have any more.

More will go in the ground but I've nearly doubled my garden space this year and made some simple 2x4, brick and stone beds, as well I have successfully done a raised bed up with a skid... ps if you are anywhere near a factory or business that throws away skids they are really good if you flip them upside down fill them with soil above the hole the soil came from, hole slightly smaller than soil, you could even line the bottom of the hole with plastic and make wicks to reverse drip irrigate your soil. The skids are a great garden tool.

I've had some more bushes and trees come up this year, and my grape vine I started last year survived the winter much better than expected so I'll be caring for it. My raspberries are also still going and have expanded, and you might find it funny but I consider my Indian apple bushes to be one of my harvests ;) oh I forgot my ragweed another crop I plant :) the Indian apple goes in at the end of the season though. I peel them and use them like you would a pepper, they are basically rose buds. I use the flower petals too.

Not sure what else will be planted this year, I've tried to just focus on successfully growing some stuff this year instead of planting way more than I can eat from harvest time since I'm not canning. I still have tons of seeds left so I'll probably keep experimenting, and if I need the seeds I have them. I'd like to get hydroponics going indoors but I have some more stuff to do inside before I can do that... lots of projects to improve the function of my garden this year rather than just planting seeds. I also want to get more of a water catchment system. Since I use my dandylions and clover as a food as well as some other stuff that grow either there are trees or a patch left for growing greens for before my crop gets in. left i've really expanded my garden space this year, but I'm also not using last years space as I'd like to see what comes up there in year two, however next year I will use that space, and see what I happens with this years space. Likewise I'll expand again next year, but my focus is on getting stuff that survives and grows like grapes, the indian apple, the raspberries, and easy stuff like dandylion, ragweed, and if I can some other native crops, such as blueberry.

I also have gotten wild strawberry growing for the last few years since I transported it to my backyard after tasting it my first or second year up, it has taken over a big chunk of my backyard now, love the things. I'm not optimistic about this year but I think I will have more this year than last due to have tons of seed from my mustard and kale, which a less than 1 meter square patch did a good job at feeding me quite a bit and still giving tons of seed that survived the winter. I think I won't be completely feeding myself on the garden but I figure I'll do the summer on 6 more bags of rice which is only about $80 or so. I've also gotten a little better at sourcing from nature, I can also scavenge a lot of other stuff. But I will also be planting out in the woods at some point more raspberry and strawberry and cranberry the tiny bog variety if I find it. Late June, July and August I can eat my fill of Cattails and berries, there is also a local crop I use that is a green from the leaves, I'll get some ragweed seed also and I try to plant the seeds to all the berries I eat rather than swallowing them as is practical.

I'm not going to try anything real fansy this year though, as I found things like mellons didn't really work, but I'll see if I can get one exotic going under the greenhouse tarp this year.

Wow lots of words... I'm growing a bunch of stuff but most not in great numbers. I was using whole seed packs last year, this year I'm only doing a few handfuls of stuff.

I'm still quite novice but I think I have improved since last year.

Just an FYI that I was told tonight. A friend had said that she was having rabbits get into her garden and another friend had suggested her husband pee around it (womens urine wouldn't work because it was a male territory thing). She also has her husbands male friend pee in a bucket so she can pour it around. My garden is fenced off, but wondered if this actually works.?

I have heard that that works but my hubby won't do it :) We don't have a problem with rabbits...they don't last long around here ;) I've also heard that cayenne powder works too...but that seems a little pricey to keep the bunnies away...just get a nice little pellet/bb gun or a small crossbow to eliminate them and fill your pot :)

The urine thing works for deer as well. I've also used hair trimmings from a beauty salon scattered around the outside of the garden.

urine also gets rid of ants as well.it's just a matter of uranating on the mounds you find in the yard and any place else you find them outside..after doing that a few time on any any mound..bye bye queen ant and the other ants as well

urine also gets rid of ants as well.it's just a matter of uranating on the mounds you find in the yard and any place else you find them outside..after doing that a few time on any any mound..bye bye queen ant and the other ants as well
I'll pass that one along to hunny and his friend who stop by. . . lol He hates ants!

Good Evening Ya'll!
I've been a bit scarce lately due to getting the garden in! I travel 4-5 days a week so my time at home is precious....and super busy! This year is my biggest garden ever...and since we live in the highest Alpine Valley in the world...gardening can be a bit tricky, (29 degrees here last Friday morning). The only things in rows this year are beans, peas, onions and sunflowers. Everything else is in tires; the heat absorbed by the tire extends my growing season, saves my soil from the miserable winds and even more important, saves water! Beans and peas are up and I plan on the 2nd planting of both next weekend. Loads of tomato and pepper plants, planted against the house for both heat and protection. I'm excited for gardening this year....I just have this strong sense of the importance of it!!

I am dragging my husband out to the garden right now and make him pee around my cabbage plants...the only thing in the garden the rabbits seem to have a taste for!!

Blessings,
Shenandoah

Jim, will gal pee do the same on ants? I have a patch of ants that just won't go away! for the ants I would save mine and go pour it everywhere to rid that area of ants!

Latest posts

Back