Doomsday Prepper Forums - The Number One Prepper Site

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

Maverick

A True Doomsday Prepper
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Washington State - between 2 mountains and a river
A throw back from the past

As some of y'all know, my dad was involved with fallout shelters (1958~1972) from the Federal level, he also has built fallout shelters in the homes we owned. My daughter was going through a crate marked shelter A/01, I really don't think these have been open since 1969, we found 9 heavy wool blankets and 4 brand new aka unused USA 2 cell Rayovac Sportsman flashlights (glass lens) with original box's (1 S21F and 3 S22F) and a Rayovac Sportsman Lantern No. 303 with original box, receipt date 1965 for the flashlights, 1969 for lantern, I remember dad keeping 7 of these crates in the already stocked shelter but had more supplies than just the blankets and flashlights. The shelters were setup to keep the family of 6 safe and comfortable for 3 months, the crates stored backups and replacement parts, he was a big believer in what we call today Two Is One, And One Is None.

I will go to the loft in the barn and drag more crates down and see what else I can find at a later date.

I figured I would resurrect these flashlights for modern use, so I pulled out the original PR2 and PR4 bulbs and put in Dory 30 Lumen 3 Volt LED Replacement Bulb (41-1643) that replaces both the PR2 and PR4, unfortunately no LED replacement for the 303 lantern. Purchased (ordered) a new rayovac 918 6v battery for the lantern, surprisingly Amazon carries these batteries

Dorcey Replacement bulb ($3.96ea)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003MP8MGY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I got 3 days of usable light with LED by keeping it on for the 3 days Vs roughly 5 hours PR2 and PR4 and not worrying about the bulb burning out. Ya, I have cheaper and brighter LED flashlights but....

918 6 volts $18.21
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BQUUC...e-us000-pcomp-feature-scomp-wm-5&ref=aa_scomp

4546 sealed beam unit $16.27
https://replacementlightbulbs.com/lamp4546.html

PR4 2.33 Volts .270 ma (2C) 14 hours MTF
PR2 2.38 Volts .500 ma (2D) 14 hours MTF
*Dorcy 3 Volts .100 ma (2D/C/AA) 100,000 hours MTF (photo below of the original PR2 and the Dorcy)

A.jpg
B.jpg

Brent S

Top Poster
Reaction score
A throw back from the past

As some of y'all know, my dad was involved with fallout shelters (1958~1972) from the Federal level, he also has built fallout shelters in the homes we owned. My daughter was going through a crate marked shelter A/01, I really don't think these have been open since 1969, we found 9 heavy wool blankets and 4 brand new aka unused USA 2 cell Rayovac Sportsman flashlights (glass lens) with original box's (1 S21F and 3 S22F) and a Rayovac Sportsman Lantern No. 303 with original box, receipt date 1965 for the flashlights, 1969 for lantern, I remember dad keeping 7 of these crates in the already stocked shelter but had more supplies than just the blankets and flashlights. The shelters were setup to keep the family of 6 safe and comfortable for 3 months, the crates stored backups and replacement parts, he was a big believer in what we call today Two Is One, And One Is None.

I will go to the loft in the barn and drag more crates down and see what else I can find at a later date.

I figured I would resurrect these flashlights for modern use, so I pulled out the original PR2 and PR4 bulbs and put in Dory 30 Lumen 3 Volt LED Replacement Bulb (41-1643) that replaces both the PR2 and PR4, unfortunately no LED replacement for the 303 lantern. Purchased (ordered) a new rayovac 918 6v battery for the lantern, surprisingly Amazon carries these batteries

Dorcey Replacement bulb ($3.96ea)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003MP8MGY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I got 3 days of usable light with LED by keeping it on for the 3 days Vs roughly 5 hours PR2 and PR4 and not worrying about the bulb burning out. Ya, I have cheaper and brighter LED flashlights but....

918 6 volts $18.21
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BQUUC...e-us000-pcomp-feature-scomp-wm-5&ref=aa_scomp

4546 sealed beam unit $16.27
https://replacementlightbulbs.com/lamp4546.html

PR4 2.33 Volts .270 ma (2C) 14 hours MTF
PR2 2.38 Volts .500 ma (2D) 14 hours MTF
*Dorcy 3 Volts .100 ma (2D/C/AA) 100,000 hours MTF (photo below of the original PR2 and the Dorcy)

View attachment 10550
View attachment 10551
I would keep them original and in the original box. One day one of your grandkids could be on antiques roadshow!

Maverick

A True Doomsday Prepper
Global Moderator
Reaction score
I would keep them original and in the original box. One day one of your grandkids could be on antiques roadshow!
A couple of my grandkids think they belong in the trash these things are old and ugly, I tell her, the property is old should I get rid of that too, you just lost the title of favorite grandchild, as she was leaving she said I was mean then the wife walks in and said hon, I said don't hon me or you will lose title of favorite wife, she said ok, lunch is ready. that was yesterday, this morning during breakfast we had all the kids at the table. After prayer the kids started dishing up and out of the blue the wife said 'wayne, how many wife's do you have' all the kids froze in place, the puzzlement on the faces was priceless.

Kevin L

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
A couple of my grandkids think they belong in the trash these things are old and ugly, I tell her, the property is old should I get rid of that too, you just lost the title of favorite grandchild, as she was leaving she said I was mean then the wife walks in and said hon, I said don't hon me or you will lose title of favorite wife, she said ok, lunch is ready. that was yesterday, this morning during breakfast we had all the kids at the table. After prayer the kids started dishing up and out of the blue the wife said 'wayne, how many wife's do you have' all the kids froze in place, the puzzlement on the faces was priceless.
Wel . . . how many wives do you have? It's a good question. Are you being evasive?

Maverick

A True Doomsday Prepper
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Wait, I thought you followed the preppers rule of two is one and one is none?
Lisa is half Mexican and half Native and a Catholic, now, I'm not going to be worrying about somebody who can swim the Rio Grande carrying a tomahawk hell-bent on burning me at the stake. NO Sir, I'm not even going to mention it lol

grayghost668

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
sounds like you might have opened a can of worms.......lol

Morgan101

Reaction score
The wool blankets are a nice find. The flashlights are a nice novelty. They could be used for personal protection if the batteries or the bulbs go. Those things weighed a ton.

What other goodies did you come across?

Maverick

A True Doomsday Prepper
Global Moderator
Reaction score
The wool blankets are a nice find. The flashlights are a nice novelty. They could be used for personal protection if the batteries or the bulbs go. Those things weighed a ton.

What other goodies did you come across?
When I get the brace off my leg, I'm going through the rest of the trunks and see what else I can find. Ya the wool blankets was a good find :)

Latest posts