fresh water out of saltwater

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jontte

A True Doomsday Prepper
Reaction score
some of you more seasoned preppers propably know this method of makeing drinking water out of saltwater, but for this you need a metalbucket,lid ( very thight one), 3 feet of coppertube will do.

poke a hole on your lid, big enough for that copper tube to fit..tight fit,remember, bend the tube to a nice arch, put some saltwater in your bucket,place the bucket on your fireplace, boil the water, steam will go through the copper tube into a waterbottle, keep the bottle in some cold water and the steam will condence into freshwater,safe for you to drink...
follows the same principle as you were makeing moonshine ;) you are just destilling saltwater to freashwater

saw this on tv and had to post it here.

You can also make a solar still, though it's a bit more patient. Basically, you just need a small container to put into a larger container, some clear plastic, and something to support the plastic.

Put saltwater in the larger container. Put the smaller container inside it, propped on something (a rock, etc.).
Suspend plastic sheeting over it all, but coming down in a cone, so any condensation would drip down the cone into the smaller container.

Salt water evaporates, condenses on the plastic, runs down into the smaller container salt free.

that I have tried once,you do need to be patient, but what would you not do for fresh drinking water?

The solar thing works in the desert with cactus. If you don't have a pot dig a hole that gets direct sunlight. Cut or smash a lot of cactus and throw in hole also be sure you urinate in that hole as well and place a container in the center to gather water. Cover with plastic or tarp. Place rock in the center of the tarp to create a cone, hours later, water.

why urinate?? has it something to do how the cactus releses the water?

No that's the best way to retain your own water for drinking. Without drinking your actual urine. Its a way to try to recycle your body fluids.

Only if it was a live or die situation Roni, but it is good knowledge to gain and now I will be adding that to my prayer request to God that I never be placed in that situation!! ;)

ok,another lesson learned :) ...
well,the spacedudes do it..so it can't be leathal ;)

I've seen Ray Mears put a big plastic bag over a bush with the corner hanging down, in the morning the dew has run down and collected in the corner, its not a lot of water but its a drink and better than nothing.

desalinization in a post SHTF can give multiple needs, water and salt. Since more then likely refrigeration wouldn't be available salt would be needed to preserve meat, salt would also be an excellent barter item but like any good idea, it has a catch, it would require large amount of energy and man power/hours, the Greeks have done it but it become cost prohibitive due to energy and man hours and power, Lewis and Clark use this method for the salt only to help preserve their meat on the trip back to civilization and for bartering with the natives, in a post SHTF without electric and gas leaves wood, for the amount of wood to yield a reasonable amount water and salt would be insurmountable. You are looking at a 24hr 7 day operation of gathering wood, keeping the fire hot, water collector, scraper, storage etc... for a one person operation would almost be impossible for the long haul not to mention rapid deterioration of clothing and drying of the hands that later would crack and possible infections. Always a catch to a good thing.

another thing I spotted on tv today: if you have a large transparent zip-loc bag, throw fresh leaves in it,let it stay in the sun...2-3 hrs and you'll have water to drink

lets not forget, distilled water will work for a few days but if your not eating enough salt in your food then hyponatremia will start to set in, one of the reasons for salt pills, distilled water without minerals and salt this water will pull the salt out of the body, if you are going to use this method longer then a few days then have enough supplies to make up some electrolytes (baking soda, sugar and salt) and/or add salt pills to your prep list, I have seen hyponatremia in Soldiers I would consider it far more painful and just as deadly as not having water, when someone is suffering hyponatremia think of a rabid dog!

Last edited:
you only have to drink plain water enough on a hot sunny day without any minerals or nothing and your body will feel crappy...I always have some mineralwaterin my fridge...

Urinate...duh, never even considered that part of it. To those saying gross...just the water should condense. The ammonia, etc. isn't going to be in your collected container. (though the lingering smell may make it pretty unappetizing.) Between trees, plants, and rain collection, I'm still putting urine on the very bottom of my list.... ;)

same thing here bigpaul..but im further from the coast.so that means buying it for me,when it comes to salt...

oh yeah..i also go to fast food places like mcdonalds..so i get extra packets of salt when i go these diff places

Latest posts

Back