Freezer/portable battery

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Habanerojefe

Reaction score
Hi all. I have an electrical question for anyone who’s knowledgeable in that field.

Q: I have an Insignia Freezer chest plugged in working great. If I lose power, can I plug it into my fully charged Yeti 400? Is there enough juice to trickle charge and keep food frozen like for a day or so? Obviously no electrician, hope someone can give me some idea. I’ve attached specs for each. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 073F5472-3EAF-4766-A67D-D3F9D9C17D51.jpeg
    073F5472-3EAF-4766-A67D-D3F9D9C17D51.jpeg
    920.2 KB · Views: 10
  • 81E9BBC6-B4F1-4110-AB9E-3B9E1AD83414.png
    81E9BBC6-B4F1-4110-AB9E-3B9E1AD83414.png
    946.8 KB · Views: 11
That inverter is actually a 300 watt inverter with 600 watt surge. It's right on the label. False advertising!
It will run the freezer once it's started but won't start the compressor.
Per Insignia customer support the startup draw is 15.4 amps.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/questi...question/3dad8bcc-7ca0-32bf-8dbd-257b2ba1f8e8You'll need something like a 1000 watt inverter with 2000 watt surge. Once started the draw is very low.

Q: I have an Insignia Freezer chest plugged in working great. If I lose power, can I plug it into my fully charged Yeti 400?
NO, the power station is only for 12V DC...it can charge different things under 12 V, like your laptops and cell phones. IT CAN BE CHARGED WITH 110V/AC...but cannot operate anything on 110 V/AC. What you need is an inverter which can change the 12 V/DC into the needed 110V /AC.
With a full charge then you may be able to run something like the freezer for a very short time but a small generator with 110V/AC and about 2000W-3000Watts will get you about 6-8 hours of electricity on about half a gallon of gas and will cost about $ 60-$70. Using the power station for big things will also end its normal life span too early from the surge draw from something from an electrical motor/compressor which does not have a flat line current draw, but surges as the compressor shuts off and on as needed by the freezer.

NO, the power station is only for 12V DC...it can charge different things under 12 V, like your laptops and cell phones. IT CAN BE CHARGED WITH 110V/AC...but cannot operate anything on 110 V/AC. What you need is an inverter which can change the 12 V/DC into the needed 110V /AC.
8Og1bL4.jpg

With a full charge then you may be able to run something like the freezer for a very short time but a small generator with 110V/AC and about 2000W-3000Watts will get you about 6-8 hours of electricity on about half a gallon of gas and will cost about $ 60-$70. Using the power station for big things will also end its normal life span too early from the surge draw from something from an electrical motor/compressor which does not have a flat line current draw, but surges as the compressor shuts off and on as needed by the freezer.

Thank you. My hope and prayer is to be able to run a small freezer off grid. Are they all too energy dependent, or is there a set up that uses a smaller, less needy freezer?

Thank you. My hope and prayer is to be able to run a small freezer off grid. Are they all too energy dependent, or is there a set up that uses a smaller, less needy freezer?
Take a look at a propane fridge/freezer. I had one years ago. Bought it from an RV salvage company. It worked great, no electric needed.

Latest posts

Back