Freezer Failure Detector

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bravery

Reaction score
Ok... so you go out of town for the week or any period of time. How do you know that the food in your freezer is still good? What if the electricity went off right after you left and then later came back on? The food could have spoiled and then when the electricity came on ... refroze. There is a simple solution to know if this happened.

A friend of mine told me about taking a water bottle putting an inch or so of water with food coloring added to it and then freezing it. Then when frozen solid, add some more cold water on top of that and refreeze. So there will be two frozen layers one colored water and one uncolored water. You will know that the electricity went off when you the color is uniform (no two layers).

I have a much simpler way. It will take up less space too. Take a couple of ice cubes (you can even use just one ice cube) and place it in a ziplock baggy. If you look in the freezer when you return from your trip and you see that the ice cube has changed shape... then you know that the food might be bad.

Ok... so you go out of town for the week or any period of time. How do you know that the food in your freezer is still good? What if the electricity went off right after you left and then later came back on? The food could have spoiled and then when the electricity came on ... refroze. There is a simple solution to know if this happened.

A friend of mine told me about taking a water bottle putting an inch or so of water with food coloring added to it and then freezing it. Then when frozen solid, add some more cold water on top of that and refreeze. So there will be two frozen layers one colored water and one uncolored water. You will know that the electricity went off when you the color is uniform (no two layers).

I have a much simpler way. It will take up less space too. Take a couple of ice cubes (you can even use just one ice cube) and place it in a ziplock baggy. If you look in the freezer when you return from your trip and you see that the ice cube has changed shape... then you know that the food might be bad.

You know, this is why i like this site. Thanks Bravery, i have a outside freezer full of food and there will be a colored ice cube in there as well.

Latest posts

Back