"Forced" Bug Out Practice...

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clyde

H.M.F.I.C.
Reaction score
Hello all!

Well today I got the chance to practice a real bug out.

My neighborhood was evacuated this afternoon due to some dumb ### using a back hoe striking a gas main on one of our main streets. There was about 400 homes evacuated.

the nice thing about this evacuation is it showed me what areas I am lacking in being ready for, and regretfully it is more than I thought or care to admit. At least now I know what I need to do.

The one area i do well at was time management. I was able to get the family loaded up and heading out in less than an hour. Mind you I didn't need to travel too far.

It is a good idea, at the very least, to run different scenarios through your mind.

Here is what I found regarding typhoid in Orange County, California.
However, it is almost two (2) years old.

mamey_blog.jpg
By Landon Hall
August 30, 2010

The state of California said Tuesday that a second brand of mamey fruit bar, also known as a paleta, has been recalled because of concerns over typhoid fever.
The California Department of Public Health said bars made by Paletas California and distributed to retailers in Southern California have been recalled. They’re 4-ounce bars and come in plastic wrappers, with a UPC of 3641800200.

On Monday, the FDA announced that Fruiti Pops Inc., of Santa Fe Springs, had recalled about 10,000 4-ounce Mamey frozen fruit bars as a precautionary measure because of typhoid fever concerns, the FDA announced.

Typhoid is rare in the U.S., but at least nine people in California and Nevada have become ill with it. There have been no illnesses reported in connection with any of the mamey-flavored fruit bars, but they were recalled as a precaution after Goya Foods, Inc., of Secaucus, N.J., recalled frozen mamey pulp earlier in August (Orange County Register, 2012).

Hello all!

My neighborhood was evacuated this afternoon due to some dumb ### using a back hoe striking a gas main on one of our main streets. There was about 400 homes evacuated.

the nice thing about this evacuation is it showed me what areas I am lacking in being ready for, and regretfully it is more than I thought or care to admit. At least now I know what I need to do.

The one area i do well at was time management. I was able to get the family loaded up and heading out in less than an hour. Mind you I didn't need to travel too far.

It is a good idea, at the very least, to run different scenarios through your mind.

Good dry run. Lessons learned. Nobody got hurt.

Good dry run. Lessons learned. Nobody got hurt.
I like it, practice is the only way. Maybe think about some three day kits for the vehicles, I am going three day kits and tents. That's just supplies No cloths except rain gear.

Short term up to 30 days i am in good shape, Just a few minutes. Anything after that is going to take a bit of time.

Hello all!

Bad situation, but great example of how unpredicatble and different everyone's environment is! Good lesson learned for those that believe they will never have to bug out. It is but 1 of many things we must be prepared to do in order to protect our families, friends, and ourselves. To not account for the possibility of having to bug out is irresponsible and could be costly. I hope I never have to, but try to stay ready. Thanks for sharing!

Bad situation, but great example of how unpredicatble and different everyone's environment is! Good lesson learned for those that believe they will never have to bug out. It is but 1 of many things we must be prepared to do in order to protect our families, friends, and ourselves. To not account for the possibility of having to bug out is irresponsible and could be costly. I hope I never have to, but try to stay ready. Thanks for sharing!
IT was a great learning experience, and it showed us just how sudden things can go south!

Hello all!

I see this is a old post from May, but I hope it would be much , much faster now.
I know I am an ###, but I cant comprehend even 30 minutes to get a whole family ready from thier sleep.
We do fire drill here, periodically, a couple of times a year, and they better be out in 1 -1 1/2 minutes, or we do 3 more that week.
If your life depended on it, 15 minutes to have small kids ready and be in moving vehicle would be allot of time.
Just an opinion.

In just under a hour, most couples could bath 2 kids, pack the bags, the wife could wash her hair, load 16 pairs of shoes, 4 photo albumbs, atleast 1 TV, put out enough food for the cats for a week, fill thier water bottle, make sure all the windows are locked, jump on the internet and reserve a room at a hotel, change a questionable tire on the car, check the oil, and everybody eat and use the bathroom before leaving.

I see this is a old post from May, but I hope it would be much , much faster now.
I know I am an ###, but I cant comprehend even 30 minutes to get a whole family ready from thier sleep.
We do fire drill here, periodically, a couple of times a year, and they better be out in 1 -1 1/2 minutes, or we do 3 more that week.
If your life depended on it, 15 minutes to have small kids ready and be in moving vehicle would be allot of time.
Just an opinion.

In just under a hour, most couples could bath 2 kids, pack the bags, the wife could wash her hair, load 16 pairs of shoes, 4 photo albumbs, atleast 1 TV, put out enough food for the cats for a week, fill thier water bottle, make sure all the windows are locked, jump on the internet and reserve a room at a hotel, change a questionable tire on the car, check the oil, and everybody eat and use the bathroom before leaving.
We have a special needs kid.
That is why I stated time management is an area i need to improve greatly.

Glad to see you got to see you pros and cons and weak areas if any got exposed so you will be able to correct for next time you can grab, rack and go. Might have to do a mock bug out this weekend if my work schedule permits lol. And clydesdale, agree things can go south and you dont know it till its to late. Always be alert, never know when that time could come .:USA:

yeah bug out practice runs are a great idea.and a great way to learn from mistake(s),and to learn what you did'nt know to begin with.i've thought of doing that my self.but it's a great idea to have a truck jeep motor cycle when it comes to some routes i'd want to take.and a van might not get it.

Agreed. bug out practice makes sence. Local emergancies, like what started this blog are a greater reality that the world going to hell in a hand basket (maybe it already has)! Plan for these emergencies- you can bug out to a shelter, be wary of your firearms though. Explore where you live so you know what's around you. Power relay stations, chemical companies, nuclear facilities, etc. Remember, if somehow the nuclear medicine clinic should blow up, its the same as a dirty bomb. Railroads and major highways can bring problems to you. Then there's mother nature. Like the show says, "everyday we face a thousand ways to die!"

Today is our practice hike, preparing my 10 year old for our hike through the Zion Narrows next month, which is 18 miles, through waist deep water. Today something a bit simpler, 8 miles up Spanish Fork Canyon. He's excited for the Zion Narrows trip, today he will carry his own "BOB", with food, water, rifle/ammo, med kit and all his other essentials.

My wife and I finally tried out or bug out bags. We only walked to a local park in the middle of the day. And with our dog. It was a good experience. Since we never have done a trial with our bags. We liked the weight. Even though we walked a total of 1.5 miles.

Last edited:
That's a great start! Keep it going, do you know where you're bugging out to? Consider walking to the nearest high-school, which are often used as shelters during natural disaster. When bugging out, are you carrying the supplies to keep your k-9 alive as well?

Latest posts

Back