For those about to prep...

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah cos they're a bastard to use cos of the hand and a half handle lol

Very true emp, I swung one for several years during SCA battles that were demos for the public. Oh Lordy, my inner nerd just popped out with that admission.

Warriors are a bunch of punks (Think the screaming Pict) and usually get their ### handed to them by Soldiers (Think Roman Legion) get the job done!! Otherwise a good little poem/saying.

My favorite is 'There is no greater love than that of a man who is willing to place his own mortal flesh between war's devestation, and his homeland.

And those bastard swords aren't used like long swords. Correct me if I'm wrong Anorak, but from what I remember, they were two handed and made for people battleing others in plate armor. You would hold it in front of you and to block would move your hilt in the direction you wanted. Kind of depended a lot on momentum for striking. You see people use them in the movies where they were swinging one or two in each hand. doesn't work that way, would break your wrist. And drawing it is a bitch. If someone had that on their belt you could kill them before they drew it. They have to pull their arm so far up, they lose visibility, and raise their elbow so someone with a knife could drive it into your armpit and then your done for.

A true bastard would normally be drawn before battle so that you would wade into the fight with it. It can be used one handed if the user has the body mass and hand, wrist and arm strength, pulling the blow at the last moment with only one hand is damn near impossible due to the momentum. Used two handed, it is a formidable weapon. They were used a lot to unhorse knights by striking the warrior or cutting and breaking the horse's legs.

A true bastard would normally be drawn before battle so that you would wade into the fight with it. It can be used one handed if the user has the body mass and hand, wrist and arm strength, pulling the blow at the last moment with only one hand is damn near impossible due to the momentum. Used two handed, it is a formidable weapon. They were used a lot to unhorse knights by striking the warrior or cutting and breaking the horse's legs.

What she said...

Thank you. I still have my armor and steel from those days... miss the bruises and pulled muscles lol. I taught my oldest how to use the bastard, she's a little scary with it. She stands 6 feet tall in her stockinged feet and tosses me around like a rag doll.

Hi Kristen and welcome. There's a good bunch of people on the board here that are happy to help. Let us know what you've got going so far and hopefully we can help you fill in the holes.

Well so far all I have is Water and some food stored away but not enough. I live with my parents and they do not believe that anything is ever going to happen they just laugh at me. I even told them about the great deppression and all of that could happen again so we need to be prepared. So basically what I am working with is my bedroom to store stuff in I am saving money to move out and do my own prepping. I just need to know how to get started. Thank u

Sounds like you are working with very limited room. Keeping dehydrated food might work better for you than canned. Would you be able to rent a storage locker to keep more things in? You need to put together a go bag to keep with you wherever you go. Colt 1911 shows a really good example in a couple of the getting prepped threads. Do you know how to use a firearm? It sucks that your parents aren't listening, but now you know that you need to prep for yourself because they aren't. Get a 5 gallon bucket and put foodstuffs in it that can be eaten without heating or long cook times. For example: canned pastas, ramen, rice mixes that are ready to eat, soups, granola bars, instant oatmeal, peanut butter. Make sure you have a can opener in there as well. This way if you have to, you just grab your bucket and go if you are at home or if there is a natural disaster, the food can keep you going for a couple of weeks depending on what you put in there. Keep at least a half a tank of gas in your car. Make an emergency kit for your car to go along with your go bag. I'd go into more detail, but there are a couple of baby goats wanting a bottle. Hope this helps to get you started and feel free to ask as many questions as you want. Oh yeah, real important, figure out where you are going to weather whatever happens.

Thank you. I still have my armor and steel from those days... miss the bruises and pulled muscles lol. I taught my oldest how to use the bastard, she's a little scary with it. She stands 6 feet tall in her stockinged feet and tosses me around like a rag doll.
Boy your posted name is old anorak but i didn't realize you were THAT old!! Your sword and armor!! wow. lol We should change your handle to Ancient anorak... lol

Nope, I have a few more years before I'm ancient. Don't let all of my silver hair fool you.;) I didn't make my sword, but I did make my armor and helm.

Latest posts

Back