Footwear

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alabaster

1st Member Of DPF
Reaction score
I have a hard time finding quality shoes & boots, so I've decided to invest in some Irish Setter Shed Trackers and some Red Wing moc toe boots. I've had Timberlands, Wolverines, Dr Martens, and almost every brand of shoe I can think of. I ride motorcycles, and I have some foot issues(Arthritis is just the beginning) too. Both of those present some interesting quirks of their own.

What are your favorite kicks? Everyday footwear or back country shoes/boots? How do you wear them? Are you a hiker or outdoorsman or do you spend all of your time standing on concrete? A hunter? Do you get a lot of snow where you are or does the rain often come into play?

I have a hard time finding quality shoes & boots, so I've decided to invest in some Irish Setter Shed Trackers and some Red Wing moc toe boots. I've had Timberlands, Wolverines, Dr Martens, and almost every brand of shoe I can think of. I ride motorcycles, and I have some foot issues(Arthritis is just the beginning) too. Both of those present some interesting quirks of their own.

What are your favorite kicks? Everyday footwear or back country shoes/boots? How do you wear them? Are you a hiker or outdoorsman or do you spend all of your time standing on concrete? A hunter? Do you get a lot of snow where you are or does the rain often come into play?

My wife and kids say that I am the Imelda Marcos of Combat Boots...
When they were issued to me, I had a bunch of Bates and Bellvile Desert Boots, they came in different styles because GSA and DPSC purchased them in lots. Some were not bad, others they made my feet hurt on long rucks. I still have a few that are new, never worn, just sitting in a kit with all my mil wear. As for some that I actually purchased, well here are my top 5 (all worn, some very broken in and some I actually bought a second pair)

#5: Belleville 790 Waterproof Combat and Flight Boot: These are flight approved, I've actually worn them on a flight, way better than my old flight boots. The boots has a tough sole, waterproofed with Gortex lining, my first choice if I am doing anything while on Flight Status, good boot that provides great stability to the ankle.
#4: Bates M-8 Tactical Boot A good one, this I was issued and then bought a replacement one...good all around boot. Easy to fix with Gorilla glue if the seam comes off the bottom of the sole. Price is not bad either.
#3: Rocky S2V GORE-TEX® Waterproof Insulated Tactical Boot, great boot by Rocky, worn them while doing mountain work...great reinforced sole and provided support on rocky areas.
#2 Bates Annobon Waterproof Tactical Boots, got these last year and wore during our little rainstorms. Very waterproof, I got the tan ones, but they come in tactical black leather.
#1 Tie: Danner Men's Desert Tfx Rough Out Military Boot: Just bought these am wearing as I post this. Great boot, possibly a near second to my Bate's Delta, but because I've not worn them on a ruck...only going how they wear around the home.
#1 Bates Delta Army Boot iCS Comfort Tech, my feet love them, like wearing a sneaker. Soft and so light, I didn't notice them on a commemorative ruck march this year. This is on my Christmas wish for a second pair.

As for wear, straight cotton socks for me.

As for Sneaks...I wear any Nike High Tops...call me old fashion, but I need the ankle support because they are pretty well shot, not to mention the lower half on my torso. For a running shoe, I wear a pair of Asiscs Kayano 21, they have a gel insert, makes my feet smile when I am out doing my mile.

Last edited:
my choice is Haix p3, use them all year,everywhere,only when on vacation it's flip-flops ;) othervise combatboots for me, they are light,durable,washable and support your feet the way I wan't to,but we have all different feet...that washable is pretty good for me, if I can't wash 'em they stink ;)

Last edited:
My Irish Setters came in yesterday. I'm absolutely smitten with them. I almost bought the 11 regular, but the fellow & my wife told me that holding out for the 11 double wide wouldn't hurt. He held the regular width in case I decided those were the right ones, and I was able to try them both on at the same time. Anyhow, they feel great. Well cushioned not just in the sole, but all around the foot. Now, I'm going to put them to use as fall rolls in as I get out in the woods and put the waterproofing to the test. There have never been a shoe or boot that fit me like these. I hope they wear as well as they feel now. They are made in China though, which is a huge let down from Red Wing. Never the less, I'll not let that jade my thoughts as I wring them out. I'm looking forward to hitting the woods in all but winter weather. I didn't buy the Moc Toe Wings yet because I'm deciding if I want a pair of combat style boots instead of work style boots. I really want something comfortable, and that's mostly what I'm figuring on now.

Attachments

• IMG-20140825-01132.jpg
    IMG-20140825-01132.jpg
    323.5 KB · Views: 14
if pressed I would say 1st Doc Martens, 2nd Cat(Caterpillar) boots, I generally wear cheap MX walking boots (available on Ebay) for everyday use and driving. wife has a pair of Cadet combat boots and swears by them. for years I wore nothing but ex army boots-available cheaply in most Surplus stores.

At work as I walk on concrete all day Dr Scholl's . At home or out with the family Durango Western boots or cheap tennis shoes depending on what I'm doing . Outdoors Military surplus combat boots Bates , Danner, Rocky .

walk awhile in a pair of bad boots,usually cheap..no support to mention,feels like you have strapped bricks on your feet,then a pair of good ones,your feet really thanks you at the end of the day ;)

The only two brands that fit me are Lowa and Vasque. I've tried the rest.

I have a small, but really wide foot. Throw in 52yrs of wear and tear, and some arthritis, and it's almost exclusively sneakers for me. I get the sketcher shape ups. They have way more soft rubber than anything else I've ever tried, and have the highest arch of any other shoe. I get em from Amazon. I have some Justin and timberline boots, and a few others just for prepping, but never wear them anymore. I couldn't care a rats ### about name, style, or cost, comfort is all I'm concerned with now.

I use Salomon, Cragghoppers and Merrell approach shoes for EDC use, but Magnum tacticals for rough stuff, so light they are like slippers.

I can wear a pair of Vasque trail runners for about 2 years max, after that they fall apart. Winter I've got a good line up this year.

Redwing worx is by far the best boot Ive ever owned. But not so much good when welding.

Right now Im in a pair of wolverine square toed boots. And Im never gonna buy them again. The soles are completely worn down and falling apart after only a month and a half. I own a machine shop and walk on polished concrete all day. The insoles were worthless and had to be relaced a couple days after I bought them. Back to Redwing it is for me.

Back when I was roughnecking I picked up a pair of Justin steel toed waterproof slip ons. Told the guy thst ran the boot store that I needed a pair pf his toughest work boots. 210 bucks and three days later and they were leaking water and by day 7 the toes were ate out of them and the soles were falling apart. Took them back to the boot store and got the runaround. They were supposed to have a year warrantee. Apparently that was a manufacturers warrantee. The guy there said he couldnt do anything for me other than either offer me another set at cost or send them in to be replaced. Yeah. Im gonna pay his cost of 150 for boots that didnt even last a full hitch on the rig. So I had him send them off. Seven months later I got a letter from Justin saying they didnt meet the requirements for the warrantee because I wore them around chemicals.

By comparison the pair of RedWing slipons I bougnt didnt start leaking water for 3 hitches and the toes and soles lasted a full six hitches. These were just leather work boots and werent anymore waterproof than any other leather boot. I will never again own a Justin product.

I did get those Justin's back BTW. Sent them and my worn out Redwings into redwing with an explination ofwhat happened. Redwing sent me a new pair of boots and some legal papers wanting permission to use my story and the boots for an advertizement.

Last edited:
I've got Doc Martens and Cat boots for rough stuff but my everyday wear is trainer boots which I can drive in and wear around the workshop, I used to wear government surplus Army boots which are cheap compared to others but they are too heavy for me these days.

For winter I wear Sorel snow paks. They're good down to -40. They're a little bulky for driving and with snowshoes but they keep my feet warm. And they're water proof too.

I don't mind paying for good shoes. My feet not hurting at the end of the day is well worth it. I just might try the red wings out next time around after that testimonial.

I don't mind paying for good shoes. My feet not hurting at the end of the day is well worth it. I just might try the red wings out next time around after that testimonial.

I dont like the constricted feeling of laceups. But my ankles dont twist. So I prefer pull ons. I just wish they made a square toe in the boots linked below. Yeah they break in ok. But I really like the extra room in the squared toes.

http://www.redwingshoes.com/assets/content/redwingshoes/products/01172redwing_thumb_jpg.jpg

I saw that they make something similar in their Irish Setter line. But they dont look nearly as robust.

And. Like I said earlier. Redwing worx are the most comfortable and durable boots Ive ever worn. After 12 to 20 hours throwing a spinning chain and slinging tongs running around on steel decking my dogs felt like they'd been laying in the clouds all day.

But like I said. Not good for welding or other high heat jobs.

http://www.redwingsafety.com/safety...x-mens-10-inch-pull-on-boot-brown/filter-worx

Walked around in ankle deep oil based mud (diesel fuel mixed with calusium clorite, lime and a bunch of other chemicals) for almost 10 hitches befoere they started leaking water.

Soles didn't hold up as long as the skin did though.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back