Footwear

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those are purty TimeTraveler.

Bravery, you make a great point on socks. Good ones are vital. What was used to treat trenchfoot?

Those are purty TimeTraveler.

Bravery, you make a great point on socks. Good ones are vital. What was used to treat trenchfoot?
Treatment during WWI was generally amputation. The trenches were horrific places to be. The mud in the trenches were full of bacteria due to the blood and guts from the battles along with feces from the soldiers and the rats. All it took was a small cut and infection would spread rapidly. The trenches were lined with wooden planks called Duck Boards designed to keep the soldiers feet dry but often they were ineffective. The soldiers had their feet in water and mud for long periods of time. I read some horrible personal accounts.

I am sorry to ramble on... the thing to be remembered is the importance of keeping your feet warm and dry.

I bought ankle high comfy shoes, or boots, with nice thick soles and heels. Very comfortable for walking. I also have more expensive walking/jogging sneakers.

Being allergic to wool, I buy cotton socks only.

I was glad someone finally brought up socks, thanks Bravery. Good wool or wool blend socks will keep your feet going when you have to bug out. Good padding like gel soles will help with your boot comfort. No matter the reason, you can't go wrong with well made military boots (think what they were designed to do!) or well made hiking boots, you can't go wrong with Columbia, and they have women's sizes. For Men or Ladies, your best size might be in the opposite sex section. A good addition to prepping is steel toed work boots for the work you may have to do. I like crocs as a second set in a bug out bag when you are settled in for a day or need to let your boots dry off. Sportsmansguide.com has good deals on bulk socks, and other things. Go over your route, go hiking, running, trail walking.

For us, one of our concerns is how heavy of a lug sole the boot has and how wide it is. Too much lug or too wide and it's set to the side. If it can hang up in a stirrup it's not a safe choice for us because horses are one of our back ups in bugging out. The last thing anyone needs is to be dragged because their foot got caught up due to the tread of the boot.

show me a pic of these crocs ,please they sound awesome
Mike... they are UGLY shoes...
crocs_are_great_for_any_occasion.jpg

I used to wear them when I was a teacher and my students would laugh at me... for wearing them. I used to tell my students all the time "fashion shouldn't be painful." With that said... I would always make fun of the kids that had to hold up their pants when they walked because they were so baggy.

You beat me to it Bravery. Mike, I have several pairs and I have yet to wear a pair out. I'm getting close to wearing through the soles of my oldest pair and I bought those back in 2004 and wear the bejeesus out of them. Ugly as sin, but make your feet soooo happy. I love mine. As a bonus, they float!

Now that's a complete selection .protection , style and ....well that pretty much sums up everything. Did I mention their hot, heavy, won't bend and weigh in at thirteen pounds a pair... nuff said.... but they work well for me.I Havant had a foot injury in eons. Rattlesnakes cannot bite through them. I have proven it.I don't run so I don't care about the weight...and them kids with funny haircuts and earrings all in their head allways come up wanting to know where you get them. That's great about modern times...even us ugly people can be popular
1368544326446.jpg

Here is a good reason not to wear Crocs while gathering eggs from the coop. Chicken poop is liquid upon exit and runs easily through the holes on the top of your shoe and feels really nasty between your toes. That's what I get for nudging a hen out of my way today.:rolleyes:

Now that's a complete selection .protection , style and ....well that pretty much sums up everything. Did I mention their hot, heavy, won't bend and weigh in at thirteen pounds a pair... nuff said.... but they work well for me.I Havant had a foot injury in eons. Rattlesnakes cannot bite through them. I have proven it.I don't run so I don't care about the weight...and them kids with funny haircuts and earrings all in their head allways come up wanting to know where you get them. That's great about modern times...even us ugly people can be popularView attachment 892
I probably wouldn't wear those but they look bad ###. They look like they came out of a Mad Max movie. I would get in such trouble wearing those boots... I would be kicking down doors and daring rabid dogs to attack. They have the look... "I just want to kick some ###. I don't care who it is"

I probably wouldn't wear those but they look bad ###. They look like they came out of a Mad Max movie. I would get in such trouble wearing those boots... I would be kicking down doors and daring rabid dogs to attack. They have the look... "I just want to kick some ###. I don't care who it is"
Hmmmm.... maybe I need a pair of those. Just what do I look for on ebay Bill?

I definitely need to invest in a better pair of hiking boots...mine are old and somewhat worn...my croc flipflops won't protect from much and my biker boots are really only good for riding.

Latest posts

Back