Footwear

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AimoL

Reaction score
What kind of footwear do you have for a bugout situation? I bought some tennis shoes not long ago that worked good in the store but when I walked down my dirt road they weren't comfortable. I hate shoe shopping so I was just wondering what other people are buying.

What kind of footwear do you have for a bugout situation? I bought some tennis shoes not long ago that worked good in the store but when I walked down my dirt road they weren't comfortable. I hate shoe shopping so I was just wondering what other people are buying.
As for me I have a few types of "combat" style boots I like. I have been using Bates for many years for my work, and have never had a problem with them.
I prefer boots over "tennis" shoes as I feel there is more support, and definitely more foot and ankle protection.

AWESOME thread!!!

My wife and I were talking about this just yesterday! I like Clydesdale, prefer a combat style boot. My wife prefers an outdoor hiker, over the ankle, and made of gore-tex with a heavily lugged sole.

Where you are and how long you'll be out makes a HUGE impact on footwear selection. It may be a good idea to keep a 2nd or even 3rd pair of footwear in your car or BOV so you have an option. Where i live, weather can be 90 in the summer or 10 in the winter with a foot of snow on the ground. Where I was in FLorida, you could get away with Crocs year round, even camping. Think of snakes and other things that might come up. You want protection, but you also want to be stealthy if at all possible.

My wife's kicks are Columbias. She has low-tops and a mid-length that covers her ankle. I prefer the mid-length ones. If I'm wearing low-tops, they will unquestionably be Crocs.

I am really hoping this thread kicks off(No pun intended) and we get a lot of input from others.

Thank you for your input. I just hate wasting money on something that isn't comfortable. I'm the type of person that loves to be barefoot or in a pair of flipflops but you can't do that if you have to get out. I did buy a pair of waterproof,camo low ankle hiking boots at the trift store for like $3.00 they are ok for short trips but not ideal for a long hike.
Snakes are very popular here. We have several poisonous kind.

I can tell you another thing..... Crocs are joked about a lot. They're EXCELLENT footwear though. There are even one made for outdoorsy kinda stuff. I have worn them fishing, camping, shooting, walking, and hiking, and who knows what else!

I know they don't work for EVERY situation, butI have even worn them in the winter with snow on the ground with proper socks. Wool or other harsh weather socks make them completely doable. If you like to stalk animals and creep through the woods, the only thing I've found that I like better is being bare foot.

I love Crocs. I wear them almost exclusively. I broke my foot really bad back in 2000 and as a result, my foot is full of pins, screws, and wire. Most shoes hurt so bad I can't stand them due to them pressing over the metal. I do have some comfortable hiking boots, but they are men's so they are roomier over the foot. Whatever you find that works, get several pairs and break them all in before you have to walk for your life.

I love Crocs too. Not sure about walking thru my woods with them on. The woods here can get pretty thick.

Thank you for your input. I just hate wasting money on something that isn't comfortable. I'm the type of person that loves to be barefoot or in a pair of flipflops but you can't do that if you have to get out. I did buy a pair of waterproof,camo low ankle hiking boots at the trift store for like $3.00 they are ok for short trips but not ideal for a long hike.
Snakes are very popular here. We have several poisonous kind.
over the ankle hiking boot for me... now as far as those snakes go(plenty here in louisiana) .Even with my gun handy, i like a 6 foot walking stick ,not to kill just keep them off me.

over the ankle hiking boot for me... now as far as those snakes go(plenty here in louisiana) .Even with my gun handy, i like a 6 foot walking stick ,not to kill just keep them off me.

I don't think a 6 foot long walking stick is big enough for me!! I hate snakes. LOL :)

I go with one sport moraines for carrying any type of load, then switch out to a light weight hiker around camp.

M_61386_1.jpg

Ahhhh. I like that idea, Colt 1911..... Serious boots for serious travel and comfier shoes for chillin'.

old_anorak, I didn't somehow realize you are a chick. Not that it matters, so forget I even said it. I got into crocs for the same reason. Medical issue. It all started with a broken foot from a motorcycle wreck. Then another motorcycle wreck had my leg so badly injured I couldn't really get normal shoes on because I could barely move the leg in it's entirety. I could just slip my "Wide" crocs right on. After everything he aled though, I realized that with the arthritis so bad in my feet, they're still numero uno. I told them in the Croc store the other day that I was a "Croc-head" and they fell out laughing. I need the new "Off Road" ones so I can be more sure-footed when we walk the dogs through the parks.

I'll have to look for the new Off Road ones. No worries about thinking I was a guy, I kind of have that mindset and it shows. I'm very to the point and I don't sugar coat. People are fine if they think I'm a guy, but if they think I'm a gal, then I'm a bitch for the same opinions. Go figure.

I'll have to look for the new Off Road ones. No worries about thinking I was a guy, I kind of have that mindset and it shows. I'm very to the point and I don't sugar coat. People are fine if they think I'm a guy, but if they think I'm a gal, then I'm a bitch for the same opinions. Go figure.
I new you where a chick. One that can hold her own!! AWESOME

Another AWESOME thing about Crocs. They float! If you are slogging through water and your shoe gets sucked off your foot by mud, just wait a minute and it'll come back up.

Thats all my husband wears to the lake when we go out in the boat. I think I'm going to break down and buy me another pair this year

Does anyone know if Crocs still replace the shoes if something falls apart on them? I know they did when they first became popular.

I love Crocs. I wear them almost exclusively. I broke my foot really bad back in 2000 and as a result, my foot is full of pins, screws, and wire. Most shoes hurt so bad I can't stand them due to them pressing over the metal. I do have some comfortable hiking boots, but they are men's so they are roomier over the foot. Whatever you find that works, get several pairs and break them all in before you have to walk for your life.
Breaking in shoes is so important ... especially boots. This means multiple short hikes (walks) before thinking about a single long one. Another thing I learned in the Army was the importance of SOCKS. Get good ones (with my boots I like thick wool socks). And change them often! What I mean by that is don't buy new ones and throw out the old ones... rather... if you are on the move, change your socks every time you stop for a break. Rotate the socks if you only have a couple pairs and let the old pair air out. It is important to keep your feet dry. You don't want Trench foot. See below:

Trench_Foot-1.jpg

I like Ariat boots for working in. This is my newest pair below. Ariat's are water resistant and have dang good soles on then.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360861502.826766.jpg

Latest posts

Back