Food Storage Recommendations~

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WldOrchidNV

Reaction score
I recently found this really great food: http://bioarmorbodyfuel.com/
It tastes great and has a shelf life of 15 years without all the preservatives, but I'm not looking to spend thousands on food storage. I'm not looking to fill a room with it either. I see everything that is going on and have recently stocked up on guns and ammo, but how much food do I need? What do people think is enough for a beginner prepper to get in quick to have on hand?

If you are staying put, try to get at least a few weeks worth of food and water together to start with. You can build on that as you go. It's important to store what you know you like and to make sure you are going to have the calorie intake needed to stay alive and factor in if you will be doing demanding physical labor.

I suggested starting small because for some people, trying to stock up a year's worth of food can be daunting.

I don't fool with the stuff that you can get online in buckets and whatnot. I just stock what we normally eat because I know we will eat it. Just my 2 cents though.

Hmm..you must have a plan to have electricity then so it doesn't go bad?

LOL, no not at all. Most of our meat is still on the hoof and most of our stores consisted of home canned meats, fruits, veg, and soups. I also keep plenty of staples here as well. What is in the freezer can be cooked up and eaten or processed and canned on the wood cook stove.

OMG! I think I need a man. I am not skinning and cutting up anything on hoof. And all that canning and stuff is not for me. Susie home maker I am not. I think I better stick to the meal packets. I won't even buy the cans of individual ingredients, because I am not mixing and cooking anything. lol Guns, Ammo and meals in a pouch, that is about the extent of things for me. Shoot

Everyone has different needs and you have to do what you are comfortable doing. Don't forget lots of water to rehydrate your food.

OMG! I think I need a man. I am not skinning and cutting up anything on hoof. And all that canning and stuff is not for me. Susie home maker I am not. I think I better stick to the meal packets. I won't even buy the cans of individual ingredients, because I am not mixing and cooking anything. lol Guns, Ammo and meals in a pouch, that is about the extent of things for me. Shoot
That can get very costly

LOL, no not at all. Most of our meat is still on the hoof and most of our stores consisted of home canned meats, fruits, veg, and soups. I also keep plenty of staples here as well. What is in the freezer can be cooked up and eaten or processed and canned on the wood cook stove.
How long do foods typically last that you "can" yourself?

Hmmm... well to give you an idea, I have opened a jar of 6 year old tomato sauce this week and it was fine and dandy, better than store bought. The trick with home canned foods lasting is to keep them out of the light or they will discolor and degrade a bit. I do my best to rotate all the home canned foods with each season, but sometimes a jar will get misplaced. If the lid is bulging, the jar is unsealed, the contents bubbling, contents smell funky, or look off; don't even smell the contents. Take it somewhere to bury or burn so animals do not get into it. Wash that jar good with bleach and reuse it. Don't store your canned foods with the rings on, they can rust and cause the seal to fail. I've been canning all of my adult life and most of my childhood as well and I've only personally had 4 jars of food spoil in many years.

A 8kg bag of rice will last someone about 2 weeks, which can be mixed up with a variety of wild edibles, and lawn weeds such as dried dandelion leaves.

Figuring 2 weeks per bag this works out to about 12 bags of rice which you can probably get for around $100 or less.

Protein powder or your protien source will be your expensive item. Raising meet is an option.

You can get about a month supply of protien powder for $40 or less so you shoud be looking at about $500 or less with any luck. Picking it up locally is the way to go if you can find a place that offers a low rate without shipping costs or offers free shipping.

forgot to add picking up a few containers of multivitamins maybe $20-$30 worth might be good too.

1kg of salt costs less than 1$

Good suggestions William. I don't know how much your rice is up there where you are, but I can buy 20 pound sacks of it for less than $10 here.

Protein powder is a good idea as well, just got to watch it close if it has whey powder in it. I've had to use it before for medical reasons and that's what the nutritionist told me. If you know of a good protein powder that is sugar-free and is drinkable without being made with milk, please let me know.

I forgot to add you should ration about 5grams of oil per day too. this works out to 1kg of olive oil or other oil type, you might want to stock a bit more than that as it like salt makes rice taste really good.

Forgot to add wheat and making hardtack is an alternate option, but rice is a bit more consumer freindly and doesn't require much preparation, all you need to do is just soak it, and if you can get away with cooking it the next day it cooks fast after soaking for a day.

WilliamAshley....that is gross haha
But I get your point...I'll eat that stuff if I have to, but my neighbors will be missing their pets first ;)

How long do foods typically last that you "can" yourself?

After about 18 months some correctly canned food starts to change in taste. By 24 months what we haven't eaten is thrown out. I would say after 2 years it's not worth keeping. I keep all canned foods where it's cool and dark. The cooler and darker the better.

I personally don't care as much for home canned food as it has an overcooked taste that you don't get in commercially canned foods. They commercially can things so fast and at so high a temperature that it's not overdone as in a home pressure canner. Given a choice I would eat fresh or frozen vegetables any day.

Oh an alternative to raising meat is growing earth worms, or maggots, or other larva....

No need to kill animals for protein. A cow or goat will produce plenty of milk and you can make cheese. Laying hens will produce plenty of eggs over the warm months. We can all live nicely without meat if we have to.

OMG! I think I need a man. I am not skinning and cutting up anything on hoof. And all that canning and stuff is not for me. Susie home maker I am not. I think I better stick to the meal packets

Have you ever tried those meal packets? Most are pretty poor excuses for the real thing. You may not have a choice but to learn to cook when and if the SHTF.

What do you eat now? Do you eat in restaurants every day?

I won't even buy the cans of individual ingredients, because I am not mixing and cooking anything. lol Guns, Ammo and meals in a pouch, that is about the extent of things for me. Shoot

Are you living on those meal packets now?

Latest posts

Back