Food Storage Recommendations~

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I recently found this really great food: http://bioarmorbodyfuel.com/
It tastes great and has a shelf life of 15 years without all the preservatives, ....

Has the company been in business at leas that long?

...but I'm not looking to spend thousands on food storage. I'm not looking to fill a room with it either. I see everything that is going on and have recently stocked up on guns and ammo, but how much food do I need?

How many people will you hoarding for? Just you? Start weighing everything you eat for a week. Food scales are cheap. You will then know how many pounds to store for any given length of time. Do the same for coffee, tea, beer or whatever else you drink in a week. You can't eat or drink guns and ammo. And if you do kill someone, you will be held accountable when law and order is restored.

What do people think is enough for a beginner prepper to get in quick to have on hand?

As much food as possible, and drinkable water. And in case chaos reins for more than a few months, some extra clothing.

How long do foods typically last that you "can" yourself?

A few years ago we moved into my husband's grandmother's house. I spent last summer cleaning out her basement. She still had canned foods from the 1970's........I dumped stuff and loaded 100's of jar's into our kid's baby swimming pool, soaking with hot rain water and bleach before scrubbing. What a nasty job. Surprisingly, a lot of the food, soups and especially grape juice, was still very good looking. I put up a run of soup last summer and the whole thing spoiled-I added noodles which expanded, causing the lids to pop off. Smelled like rotten vomit........The other batches made without noodles kept fine, we eat it often. Great way to use up tomatoes.

Good suggestions William. I don't know how much your rice is up there where you are, but I can buy 20 pound sacks of it for less than $10 here.

Protein powder is a good idea as well, just got to watch it close if it has whey powder in it. I've had to use it before for medical reasons and that's what the nutritionist told me. If you know of a good protein powder that is sugar-free and is drinkable without being made with milk, please let me know.

What is this about whey? I've only encountered information stating it is one of the best protein powders out there.

It is soy protein that is dangerous to consume in large quantities especially for guys.

It is better than rice protein also because it is a complete protein, kindly supply more info on any issues you know of in regard to whey.

If it is lactose intolerance, I am very mildly lactose intolerant... WHEY isolate has most of the lactose removed. also the ALLWHEY brand mix I just got is very low lactose also due to having a bunch of enzymes such as lactase added to it.
If your medical issue is lactose intolerance get whey isolate, or something that has digestive aids added to it such as the Allwhey I had, relatively economical price for 10lbs it ran around $120 so about $12/lb. of 80% protein. Its not cheap but I find it very useful since I lead a mostly vegan/vegetarian lifestyle, although I do eat most anything, I tend to only buy fish/eggs and where it occurs dairy products, but I tend to not buy processed dairy.

There is egg protein
There is a bunch of others also whey tends to be the lowest in price in terms of bang for buck.

If you eat meat there are plenty of alternatives,
the 10lb allwhey allows for 2 months at 60grams per day, which is enough to boost protein intake, since 40 grams from other sources is doable on rice/lentils/beans etc.. for 100gram intake goal. 40grams natural source 60 grams whey nutritional blend which includes taurine, glycerol, digestive enzymes and some amino acids (bcaa's) its a mix whey isolate concentrate mix for fast absorption and slow release. If I was a serious body builder I could double my intake and do $4 a day instead of $2/day but I'm fine at about 1-1.2x body weight intake.
I tend to trust the whey way more than commercial slaughter and processed meats, it just seems like a cleaner source.

I'm also thinking a quick fix if the "mass gainer" products out there as they tend to be high calory, but they are costly.

I've been aiming for some RTL hens, but no one delivers out here... 3 or 4 hens would supply me with enough eggs to keep my protein level mint.

In terms of whey powder a 6 month supply at 60 grams a day runs at about $360 which works out to 30lbs or 6 5lb containers, you might be able to get a better price. It is an easy fix to insure protein.

Fats are easy with olive oil, or hard stuff like lard.. but I prefer oils because I consider them more manageable, for recipes but a mix of the two would probably suit most people. Say perhaps $50-100 worth should cover you for 6 months

For carbs, rice is probably the cheapest, and I suggest a mix of flour and rice for each grown adult 1 8kg bag should last 2 weeks so 2 bags per month or 12 bags for half a year should run less than $150 probably closer to $100

a couple dollars worth of salt should cover you for your salt needs.

and 1 or 2 multivitamins a day so two to four 120 cap centrum type multivitamins this should run maybe $30

a water purifier, perhaps some jugs of water filled should be a "baseline"

so perhaps $600 should be able to get you the baseline of supplies for 6 months.

I also recommend a big bag of sugar. which an 8kg bag should be under $10

most people in an urban setting should be able to get nutritious greens, vitamin c etc.. from nature most plants you see are edible

An added benefit to the protein powder method is that it gets you use to drinking say ateast 1 litres of water a day. Also depending on flavours it can be a morale booster. I buy vanilla usually though, because it is easier to cook with, but there is chocolate, peanut butter, fudge, strawberry you name it flavours.

Thank you for the information William. The whey is something I have to watch out for personally. I have a serious issue with malnutrition due to malabsorbsorbtion of nutrients. It is what it is and I make do so I am always open to new things.

A few years ago we moved into my husband's grandmother's house. I spent last summer cleaning out her basement. She still had canned foods from the 1970's........I dumped stuff and loaded 100's of jar's into our kid's baby swimming pool, soaking with hot rain water and bleach before scrubbing. What a nasty job. Surprisingly, a lot of the food, soups and especially grape juice, was still very good looking. I put up a run of soup last summer and the whole thing spoiled-I added noodles which expanded, causing the lids to pop off. Smelled like rotten vomit........The other batches made without noodles kept fine, we eat it often. Great way to use up tomatoes.

Please get yourself the Ball Canning book. Every WalMart sells it. You can also find canning info online. You have to can the right ingredients and for the right length of time for everything and anything you can, especially things such as soups, stews and any kind of meat. Canning "blind" can be deadly. People die every year from home canned foods. And watch those lids. Don't use real old ones. Check the rims on the jars for cracks or chips.

Please get yourself the Ball Canning book. Every WalMart sells it. You can also find canning info online. You have to can the right ingredients and for the right length of time for everything and anything you can, especially things such as soups, stews and any kind of meat. Canning "blind" can be deadly. People die every year from home canned foods. And watch those lids. Don't use real old ones. Check the rims on the jars for cracks or chips.
Thanks. Yes, I do use the ball book and love it. Most of the time, it works out fine. It is very important not to stray from recipes. I don't like to keep foods more than five years. My favorite canned food: pickled okra!

I have eaten some pickled green beans that were 10 years old that my grandfather picked, right along some that I had canned a year before trying them... They both tasted exactly the same (same recipe) and I didn't get sick at all. I believe everything has different a different shelf life! Of course I have ever only canned two things.... Tobacco and Green Beans, so I am by no means an expert!

I have eaten some pickled green beans that were 10 years old that my grandfather picked, right along some that I had canned a year before trying them... They both tasted exactly the same (same recipe) and I didn't get sick at all. I believe everything has different a different shelf life! Of course I have ever only canned two things.... Tobacco and Green Beans, so I am by no means an expert!

Canned tobacco? :wtf: I never grew or canned tobacco, nor did I ever pickle green-beans. I know regular pickles don't taste real good after about 18 months.

Yeah, I don't smoke. Can't stand the smell of it actually. It'll worm horses in a pinch is what the vet told me, but I think I'll stick with the paste for now.

It's a great thing to keep around for bartering! You never know how many people are going to be wanting to tobacco after the SHTF.

Oh I was lucky in the fact that I already have 150 pounds of various pipe tobaccos in my closet. I don't need to grow my own :)
(I used to mange pipesmagazine . com)

OMG! I think I need a man. I am not skinning and cutting up anything on hoof. And all that canning and stuff is not for me. Susie home maker I am not. I think I better stick to the meal packets. I won't even buy the cans of individual ingredients, because I am not mixing and cooking anything. Shoot
Ummm, don't get me wrong... I don't want to step on any cultural norms here but I am pretty certain cannibalism is illegal.

Latest posts

Back