Food shortages are here and getting worse.

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Totally understand @Brent S. I have so much nerve damage over the years that now my limbs tingle on occasions. I have always been able to lift whatever and with my current job I lift anywhere between 42 - 95 lbs a few times a week, but then I lift 50lb feed bags on a regular basis. I may have to admit I am getting too old for the almost 100lb Parm wheels.

Totally understand @Brent S. I have so much nerve damage over the years that now my limbs tingle on occasions. I have always been able to lift whatever and with my current job I lift anywhere between 42 - 95 lbs a few times a week, but then I lift 50lb feed bags on a regular basis. I may have to admit I am getting too old for the almost 100lb Parm wheels.
Sorry to hear of your issues too. My body is still capable of doing most anything but my back, hips and knees are always reminding me of the abuse I’ve put them through. I try to be more gentle on the body now as much as I can now.

Shipping Companies Fear ‘Catastrophic’ Supply Chain Fallout Over New California Port Fees

Top shipping officials this week said that a Biden administration-backed plan to issue emergency fees for containers lingering too long won’t work and will lead to chaos.

Earlier this week, the ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach in California announced they would fine ocean carriers for containers that stay too long at port terminals. They said the move is designed to alleviate supply-chain bottlenecks, coming after President Joe Biden pressed the heads of the California ports to move to 24/7 operation.

“We must expedite the movement of cargo through the ports to work down the number of ships at anchor,” Port of Los Angeles Executive Director Gene Seroka said in a news release about the fine. Starting next month, port officials will charge $100 per container that lingers after nine days by truck and six days by rail, increasing $100 every day.

But two days later, the officials who attended a meeting of the National Shippers Advisory Council (NSAC)—comprised of 12 importers and 12 exporters including Walmart, Amazon, and Home Depot—said the port fees are “crazy” and “catastrophic.”

#SupplyChain

https://www.theepochtimes.com/shipp...ut-over-new-california-port-fees_4074782.html

Hay has been short around here. From the people at the feed store, its a transportation issue not shortage and they are selling a lot more. The price actually went down.
I let my supply run down because of the storm last weekend. Was on my last bale after a trip and phone call over a couple days. Picked up a couple 200lb barrels of feed to have backup. If they didn’t have hay today, I would have got 4 barrels of feed.
I have a 6 week supply now. Will replenish at 3. 50 extra miles one way for hay is just too much. I am glad the fields are greening up after the rain.

Just got home from Safeway. 0.99/lb turkeys. Bought two. One to can, one for dinner.
Got the last pie crust. Lots of shelves empty. Stocked up on some seasoning packets that were half off, plus yeast.
There was a limit on what you could purchase as far as TP went. Many of the perishables were gone, but the things you should be stocking up on- were there.

Hay has been short around here. From the people at the feed store, its a transportation issue not shortage and they are selling a lot more. The price actually went down.
I let my supply run down because of the storm last weekend. Was on my last bale after a trip and phone call over a couple days. Picked up a couple 200lb barrels of feed to have backup. If they didn’t have hay today, I would have got 4 barrels of feed.
I have a 6 week supply now. Will replenish at 3. 50 extra miles one way for hay is just too much. I am glad the fields are greening up after the rain.
50 miles is nothing to drive for hay. I've had to go as far as Canada, eastern Washington and eastern Oregon for hay during bad hay years. The price of hay at feed stores is crazy high. The last hay I bought out of the field was $250 a ton, still too high.

I am going to the grocery tomorrow early while out for a couple things. I checked the pantries and really can’t pack more stuff in them. I may get some powdered milk if it’s in stock, but overall I’m pleased to know I don’t need anything. I’ve been prepping since I was a teen. It didn’t happen overnight though.

50 miles is nothing to drive for hay. I've had to go as far as Canada, eastern Washington and eastern Oregon for hay during bad hay years. The price of hay at feed stores is crazy high. The last hay I bought out of the field was $250 a ton, still too high.

I hope and pray you are going to be set for the winter. No doubt there will be some animals not getting enough food this winter. Joe has called it the Dark Winter. I’m beginning to believe him.

In 2020 when the lock downs started, I did the 50 extra miles. Saved $$$. Calculated the savings covered the fuel, just not my time.
On my list is an 18-20ft trailer to make it worth my while. They have been in short supply around here too. Selling very quick when they come in.
With 2-28yr old ponies, a 24yr old retired jumper with health conditions, my hay consumption could get cut in half by next spring.

Trailers are in short supply. We were lucky to get one at the start of the summer, and they only had two in. Noticed the side by sides are in short supply. We got ours a number of years ago, and now the place is empty. Anything coming in is already sold...clear through spring.

Trailers are in short supply. We were lucky to get one at the start of the summer, and they only had two in. Noticed the side by sides are in short supply. We got ours a number of years ago, and now the place is empty. Anything coming in is already sold...clear through spring.
A trailer place near us usually has 10 acres of trailers. Now maybe 10 trailers total. I have been checking 75 miles away too. I like the owner of the small shop there, so I will probably end up ordering it from him. His family custom built our horse trailer and at 20yrs old still looks new

we've been trying to get a side by side for our property. Hard to come by these days.
There is one on consignment in our town, nothing in stock and they are not hopeful about ordering one for us. Going to have to look elsewhere I guess.

One thing I have not seen here, is talk about the quality of rice. I usually buy dark grains, but get white too. The local restaurant depot or Cash N Carry have 50# sacks for about $25. Costco has 25# sacks for $20, BUT the Costco rice is from California. I haven't looked at the white rice at the restaurant supply, but I bet they come from Asia. The point of this long winded post is that most white rice coming out of Asia anymore has alot of fake, plastic rice mixed in. FYI.

I wish we aged like trees and got stronger as we got older.

Latest posts

Back