Food Shelf Llife

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
depending on what dollar store you are buying, it can vary. look at the expiration on the bottom of the cans and it can last till then plus more. i have heard and read that you can actually eat canned food within a year it has expired, as long as it has not been opened, damaged, dent, or in extreme conditions, such as really high altitude, or extreme hot weather. i am actually going to try out a few can goods that when they expire, i will eat withing 6 months of expiration, 1 year, and hopefully more on out. i still have a long way to go.

All food items have to have an expiration date on them to sell, by law. I was throwing out some of mom's expired cans when hubby stopped me. He said that they are still good even after date, so we did try them out. They were perfectly fine.

I have used canned goods that were YEARS old and nothing was wrong with them. I have used home canned goods that were several years old as well and they were just fine. You just have to use common sense with it. If the can is rusty, the ends bulging, or leaking, don't use it. Bury or burn it, don't just throw it away, you can kill animals by poisoning them if you do toss them in the trash. If it looks funny, not just slightly off, but unrecognizable, don't use it. If it smells funky, don't use it. If any thing mentioned above is present, DO NOT TASTE it just to 'see'.

One of the reasons I think that more people are worried about the expiration dates, is that home economics is no longer taught, a lot of kids aren't taught to cook by the older generations and they go by food network gurus and their google skills. Just because something has hit the expiration date, don't automatically pitch it. Investigate.

i grew up eating expired foods from home canning or canned foods from the store, only canned food i would worry about is the meats. also i know people that when they grocery shop it is the prepping they just rotate there stock out so theres constanly newer foods in there pantry, also one thing i believe in is writing on top the can the exp date and what it is, having worked over the road for a year and moving alot labels falls off and you want corn and meat and open two cans of refried beans.... thats pretty depressing for me as well as my room mate at the time lol

Or you're expecting some meat for a stew and get dog food... bad things happen late at night. Don't want to talk about that.

Or you're expecting some meat for a stew and get dog food... bad things happen late at night. Don't want to talk about that.
took a survival class in high school and if we ate alpo (dog food) we would get a a+ for the entire school year... needless to say i passed

Eh, it didn't taste much different than dinty moore to be perfectly honest.

Ive never tried canning food or storing in pet containers before all the stuff I have stored is either in tins or jars how expensive is it to set up canning

Ive never tried canning food or storing in pet containers before all the stuff I have stored is either in tins or jars how expensive is it to set up canning
It's not to expensive I got a good pressure canner with all the canning tools at a yard sale for $20 ($60 new)the mason jars are about $10 or$12 a dozen at walmart and a book on canning on sale for $3. I guess you can go more expensive but if you look around for deals you can get set up with the basics at a reasonable price.

thank you for that info wild man will look into getting some canning stuff even tho we don't have a walmart, but I am sure there will be a store somewhere that stocks canning items.

I don't know if you can get anything but Weck jars there in Scotland. I'll have to do some checking. I know my relatives in Ireland jar up food, going to have to get hold of them and find out what they use.

I have spent several hours trawling the net and nobody in UK sells pressure canners what a bummer, I would order one from the US but the shipping costs are too expensive, I have a lady friend on here goin to look out for one for me

Latest posts

Back