Food Prices Going Up

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back in the 1970's I bought some of the land I own now for $3000 per acre. Now $150,000 per acre.
AND THAT is exactly why I moved to Hungary to retire at 62. I can buy land here in certain places for about $300.00 an acre...our house sits on a 720 square meter (6500 sq.ft.) piece of land and I paid $7000.00 for the house and the land together...my BIL bought a thousand square meter piece of land for a garden with its own well for $150.00 cash...many people from England, Holland, France, Germany and Italy are moving here to retire due to the low prices...
I pay about $5.00 a month for a water bill, $30.00 electricity and about $40.00 for gas (cooking, heating and water heater)...utilities stay under $100.00 a month and my YEARLY STATE TAX on my land/house is $20.00!!

Wow! Double Wow. If I understand right they sell land by the square meter! How do farmers afford land? Back in the 1970's I bought some of the land I own now for $3000 per acre. Now $150,000 per acre. I don't sell because I am stubborn. What are the taxes like on land so expensive? If you don't mind me asking?

I don't mind @Dracos

Most of the farmland is since generations in family hands. And there's the problem for new farmers - hard or expensive to buy land. The land prices i told you is for construction land. Farmland is cheaper, but you're alowed to build only those buildings who are necessary for work. Means no appartments or houses for rent. Then you're only allowed to buy farmland if you study farming before. Those strong laws are necessary because farmland is rare. Don't imagine an farm in Switzerland like they are in the US - they are a lot smaller, an farmer who owns 50 cows and more considers to be big. I couldn't find something about the farmland prices really, but there's something between 15.-- and 20.-- by squaremeter.

About the land taxes...
The land taxes are by +/- 0.3 ‰ and 3 ‰, depends the country you're living. Then for living areas / -buildings we have an special, may unique tax: You have to pay an kind of incoming tax for the rental value of your property. It dosn't matter if you're living in you house or rent it out, you have to pay it always. Even the property is fully paid. This tax is - if have seen it correctly - +/- 3% of the property value. And the property value would be assessed by the tax office.

You may realized i'm always talking about the area / county. It's because Switzerland has as you in the US different states, we call them "Kanton". And every state has an own percentage of tax you have to buy. The tax law is more or less nation wide, just the % are different.

I don't mind @Dracos

Most of the farmland is since generations in family hands. And there's the problem for new farmers - hard or expensive to buy land. The land prices i told you is for construction land. Farmland is cheaper, but you're alowed to build only those buildings who are necessary for work. Means no appartments or houses for rent. Then you're only allowed to buy farmland if you study farming before. Those strong laws are necessary because farmland is rare. Don't imagine an farm in Switzerland like they are in the US - they are a lot smaller, an farmer who owns 50 cows and more considers to be big. I couldn't find something about the farmland prices really, but there's something between 15.-- and 20.-- by squaremeter.

About the land taxes...
The land taxes are by +/- 0.3 ‰ and 3 ‰, depends the country you're living. Then for living areas / -buildings we have an special, may unique tax: You have to pay an kind of incoming tax for the rental value of your property. It dosn't matter if you're living in you house or rent it out, you have to pay it always. Even the property is fully paid. This tax is - if have seen it correctly - +/- 3% of the property value. And the property value would be assessed by the tax office.

You may realized i'm always talking about the area / county. It's because Switzerland has as you in the US different states, we call them "Kanton". And every state has an own percentage of tax you have to buy. The tax law is more or less nation wide, just the % are different.
Thank you for this very interesting information.

If you feed out your animals, it will cost you more. As a small farmer, I can say that the price of corn will hurt. Even with my goat feed, the bags went up to over $12 a bag.
Our cattle are all out on free pasture now until around late October. The only grain I buy is to finish a few head about 90 days before butchering. Our hay cost will remain the same as last year.

What is really sad here is that they didn't even bother asking any of the ranchers or farmers their opinions. This is how they actually make their living to support their families. And the bigger picture is this is where your meat comes from dumb turds!! Guess they no longer want to eat their steaks, street tacos, or whatever their favorite meat dish may be. . . They will become more like Switzerland and have to pay outrageous prices for meat to get trucked in from other states.

Most people don't even know Bill Gates is America's largest farmland owner now. He's a stand up guy, with only the best of intentions.. LOL

The left stole the election and are moving so fast, I don't think there will even be a 2022 election. Buckle up.

Oregon also has a bill to increase the cost of electricity 40-80%. The commissioners voted for $6M to combat the skyrocketing shootings and crime, NONE of it went to the police. This is the first Summer with all drugs legal, and virtually no cops. The fools keep voting for their own demise. With four large earthquakes on the subduction fault today, it may be moot

Feeding Chickens Is So Costly It’s Changing Global Trade Flows

Feeding the world’s chickens, pigs and cows has gotten so expensive it’s upending global trade flows.

As grain prices surge, American chicken giant Perdue Farms Inc. took the rare step of buying soybeans, an American staple, from rival Brazil. BRF SA, Brazil’s top poultry producer, turned to neighboring Argentina for corn, while feed makers in China and the U.S. are buying wheat more commonly used for bread.

These tactics and others by the world’s top food companies highlight how tight the global market has become. A gauge of grain prices is at an eight-year high, boosting the cost of feeding animals and signaling higher meat prices could be coming for consumers. Still, keeping up with rising meat demand as the world recovers from the pandemic has industry executives saying the rally is far from over. “The meat and chicken industries still have good margins, so higher prices are yet to curb their appetite,” said Brian Williams, a senior vice president at Macquarie Group Ltd. in New York. “However, corn prices have risen enough that in some parts of the U.S. wheat is being dialed in.”

It may all seems simple, but changing the diet of animals comes with some risk: wheat shouldn’t be fed to younger cattle and cows can get bloated if they eat too much of it. Researchers at North Dakota State University recommend that wheat make up no more than 15% of an animal’s diet when it’s being introduced. The color of a bird’s skin can also vary depending on what it eats, with corn-fed chicken looking yellowish, a trait shunned in some countries. “You can’t switch a cattle’s diet, or any animal’s diet really very abruptly,” said Tyler Beaver, a founder of brokerage Beaf Cattle Co. in Arkansas. “They stagnate on their growth when you change anything very much.”

Perdue is importing 31,450 metric tons of Brazilian soybeans as U.S. supplies dwindle, with vessel Four Turandot set to sail from the northern port of Barcarena next month. Concerns about a smaller corn crop in Brazil known as safrinha has sent prices surging in the South American nation, opening up the opportunity for BRF to purchase two cargoes from Argentina. “When prices get high and supplies are tight you tend to get out of the ordinary moves,” said Stephen Nicholson, a senior grain and oilseed analyst at Rabobank. “Importing soybean into the U.S. is a psychological blow to the market and sometime backs price down.”

China is buying wheat from several countries as corn prices rise, and Brazil is also picking up some, said Juan Luciano, chief executive officer of Archer-Daniels-Midland Co., one of the world’s biggest agricultural commodities traders. American corn arriving in China will soon be more expensive than wheat, he said in an earnings call this week. High prices are starting to cut into margins for poultry and pig producers in Brazil, but prices aren’t yet high enough to curb demand, said Paulo Sousa, chief executive officer of Cargill Inc. in Brazil. Any feed switching in the South American nation will be limited as Brazil is already a wheat importer. “Corn and soybean meal are the big components of animal feed, so there aren’t a lot of options,” he said.

In the U.S., some feed makers in the southern Plains bought up wheat in March and April, when prices were close to that of corn, said Joe Nussmeier, a broker at Frontier Futures in Minneapolis. Feed makers and meat packers could soon get some relief. While U.S. acreage estimates disappointed the markets earlier this year, prices have surged since the survey was carried out. That will likely spur more plantings. Supplies may be bigger than expected if farmers held back on providing their full planting intentions to prevent prices from falling. Also, growers renewing agreements with the agency to keep land aside for environmental purposes are now bringing these areas back into production due to higher prices, agri-tech startup Farmers Business Network said in March. “We see the possibility of new acres to be found” as farmers respond to price gains, said Fabio Sandri, chief executive officer of second-biggest U.S. chicken producer Pilgrim’s Pride Corp. Higher feed prices compressed the company’s profit margins even as demand for chicken was rising.

For now, the world is still facing a shortage of feed grains, while wheat supplies are expected to be more ample. If corn prices continue to rally, it won’t take much to keep more wheat moving into animals’ diets. Corn futures climbed to $6.84 a bushel this month, the highest since 2013.
Feeding Chickens Is So Costly It’s Changing Global Trade Flows - BNN Bloomberg

b-b-but inflation is transitory according to Jerome

What is really sad here is that they didn't even bother asking any of the ranchers or farmers their opinions. This is how they actually make their living to support their families. And the bigger picture is this is where your meat comes from dumb turds!! Guess they no longer want to eat their steaks, street tacos, or whatever their favorite meat dish may be. . . They will become more like Switzerland and have to pay outrageous prices for meat to get trucked in from other states.
The leftist idiots don't care if it put people out of work or destroys their livelihood.

Feeding Chickens Is So Costly It’s Changing Global Trade Flows

Feeding the world’s chickens, pigs and cows has gotten so expensive it’s upending global trade flows.

As grain prices surge, American chicken giant Perdue Farms Inc. took the rare step of buying soybeans, an American staple, from rival Brazil. BRF SA, Brazil’s top poultry producer, turned to neighboring Argentina for corn, while feed makers in China and the U.S. are buying wheat more commonly used for bread.

These tactics and others by the world’s top food companies highlight how tight the global market has become. A gauge of grain prices is at an eight-year high, boosting the cost of feeding animals and signaling higher meat prices could be coming for consumers. Still, keeping up with rising meat demand as the world recovers from the pandemic has industry executives saying the rally is far from over. “The meat and chicken industries still have good margins, so higher prices are yet to curb their appetite,” said Brian Williams, a senior vice president at Macquarie Group Ltd. in New York. “However, corn prices have risen enough that in some parts of the U.S. wheat is being dialed in.”

It may all seems simple, but changing the diet of animals comes with some risk: wheat shouldn’t be fed to younger cattle and cows can get bloated if they eat too much of it. Researchers at North Dakota State University recommend that wheat make up no more than 15% of an animal’s diet when it’s being introduced. The color of a bird’s skin can also vary depending on what it eats, with corn-fed chicken looking yellowish, a trait shunned in some countries. “You can’t switch a cattle’s diet, or any animal’s diet really very abruptly,” said Tyler Beaver, a founder of brokerage Beaf Cattle Co. in Arkansas. “They stagnate on their growth when you change anything very much.”

Perdue is importing 31,450 metric tons of Brazilian soybeans as U.S. supplies dwindle, with vessel Four Turandot set to sail from the northern port of Barcarena next month. Concerns about a smaller corn crop in Brazil known as safrinha has sent prices surging in the South American nation, opening up the opportunity for BRF to purchase two cargoes from Argentina. “When prices get high and supplies are tight you tend to get out of the ordinary moves,” said Stephen Nicholson, a senior grain and oilseed analyst at Rabobank. “Importing soybean into the U.S. is a psychological blow to the market and sometime backs price down.”

China is buying wheat from several countries as corn prices rise, and Brazil is also picking up some, said Juan Luciano, chief executive officer of Archer-Daniels-Midland Co., one of the world’s biggest agricultural commodities traders. American corn arriving in China will soon be more expensive than wheat, he said in an earnings call this week. High prices are starting to cut into margins for poultry and pig producers in Brazil, but prices aren’t yet high enough to curb demand, said Paulo Sousa, chief executive officer of Cargill Inc. in Brazil. Any feed switching in the South American nation will be limited as Brazil is already a wheat importer. “Corn and soybean meal are the big components of animal feed, so there aren’t a lot of options,” he said.

In the U.S., some feed makers in the southern Plains bought up wheat in March and April, when prices were close to that of corn, said Joe Nussmeier, a broker at Frontier Futures in Minneapolis. Feed makers and meat packers could soon get some relief. While U.S. acreage estimates disappointed the markets earlier this year, prices have surged since the survey was carried out. That will likely spur more plantings. Supplies may be bigger than expected if farmers held back on providing their full planting intentions to prevent prices from falling. Also, growers renewing agreements with the agency to keep land aside for environmental purposes are now bringing these areas back into production due to higher prices, agri-tech startup Farmers Business Network said in March. “We see the possibility of new acres to be found” as farmers respond to price gains, said Fabio Sandri, chief executive officer of second-biggest U.S. chicken producer Pilgrim’s Pride Corp. Higher feed prices compressed the company’s profit margins even as demand for chicken was rising.

For now, the world is still facing a shortage of feed grains, while wheat supplies are expected to be more ample. If corn prices continue to rally, it won’t take much to keep more wheat moving into animals’ diets. Corn futures climbed to $6.84 a bushel this month, the highest since 2013.
Feeding Chickens Is So Costly It’s Changing Global Trade Flows - BNN Bloomberg

b-b-but inflation is transitory according to Jerome

Great post

If only there was some type of pandemic to wipe out a large portion of the overpopulated planet.... and a bad vaccine when it isn't enough to do the job on the scale they hoped..

Latest posts

Back