Food Prices Going Up

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We used to raise 2 - 4 hogs every year. We decided to take a couple years off. I like eating pigs but I don't like raising them. They stink. I much prefer cattle. This year we're growing corn, squash and watermelon in the pig pen.

I do mob grazing (aka Management Intensive Grazing) and move the cows and goats about every other day (breaks the worm cycle too), and the hogs now, about every 3-4 days. Keeps down on the manure build up and is less "stink." Give them enough room, they organize themselves with a poop section, separate from their A-frame and where the root up.

I do mob grazing (aka Management Intensive Grazing) and move the cows and goats about every other day (breaks the worm cycle too), and the hogs now, about every 3-4 days. Keeps down on the manure build up and is less "stink." Give them enough room, they organize themselves with a poop section, separate from their A-frame and where the root up.
I've thought about letting the hogs run loose. It would save a lot on feed costs. I've got a holding pen for the cattle that's connected to both sets of corrals. Its about 10 acres in size and would be relatively easy to put up hog wire. Right now there's only 4 strands of barb wire.

I've thought about letting the hogs run loose. It would save a lot on feed costs. I've got a holding pen for the cattle that's connected to both sets of corrals. Its about 10 acres in size and would be relatively easy to put up hog wire. Right now there's only 4 strands of barb wire.

Depends on the paddocks stocking rate, how many hogs on each paddock will determine the rotation rate.
They still need some feed to get up to slaughter weight come OCT/NOV, unless I were to bring them through the winter, and slaughter the following fall.
Hogs raised on pasture have a extra "porky" flavor. Likely similar top your pasture raised cattle. Some people are so used to commercial pork, they find pasture raised pork too intense and off putting.

A quick run into Walmart was 70+ dollars today. Didn’t even really get much, just a few things. Even with prices rising, I am grateful to live in this time in history. I looked around at the produce and marveled at the diversity of all we have to choose from. Stuff is shipped from all around the globe for our pleasure. At no time in history has the common people had it so good. Of course at the rate of inflation that may change, but for now I’m going to take advantage of it and enjoy.

A quick run into Walmart was 70+ dollars today. Didn’t even really get much, just a few things. Even with prices rising, I am grateful to live in this time in history. I looked around at the produce and marveled at the diversity of all we have to choose from. Stuff is shipped from all around the globe for our pleasure. At no time in history has the common people had it so good. Of course at the rate of inflation that may change, but for now I’m going to take advantage of it and enjoy.

While there is something to be said of that, consider the East India Trading Company: they were doing that back in the 16th century.

And you are correct about the commoners having it so good. Unless homeless, even people who qualify as "poor" in the US, have it much better than most in third world countries.

While there is something to be said of that, consider the East India Trading Company: they were doing that back in the 16th century.

And you are correct about the commoners having it so good. Unless homeless, even people who qualify as "poor" in the US, have it much better than most in third world countries.
No doubt being here in the states is a privilege. We are very fortunate compared to the majority of the world.

no real increase in prices here, my monthly shop seems to cost about the same each time.
the problem is more some empty shelves, not a lot just a few items and that is down to the lack of delivery drivers who have to isolate because they have been in contact with a covid infected person.

no real increase in prices here, my monthly shop seems to cost about the same each time.
the problem is more some empty shelves, not a lot just a few items and that is down to the lack of delivery drivers who have to isolate because they have been in contact with a covid infected person.
When the pandemic first hit and toilet paper was rationed, then meat and even laundry soap I realized how fragile our supply system was. I have always been aware but seeing it firsthand made me realize how wise being a prepper was. I’m still really amazed that most people still don’t see the need.

When the pandemic first hit and toilet paper was rationed, then meat and even laundry soap I realized how fragile our supply system was. I have always been aware but seeing it firsthand made me realize how wise being a prepper was. I’m still really amazed that most people still don’t see the need.
most dont even know about the "just in time" supply system, they just expect it to be in the store when they need it, when shortages occur then we get panic buying.
I was told by someone in the trade that your supermarket eggs can be anything up to a month old before they even get onto the store shelf, we buy local "free range" straight from small farms, at most one day old.

Some of the cows I sold last week brought 47 cents per pound at auction. These were all quality red and black angus cows, and all were pregnant. And yet beef prices in the grocery stores keep going up. Fortunately I still have some butcher steers left that I get $2.50 per pound hanging weight. And thats cheap too.
If we have a good winter with lots of snow, followed by a spring with some rain, I'll start buying cattle again next summer.

Some of the cows I sold last week brought 47 cents per pound at auction. These were all quality red and black angus cows, and all were pregnant. And yet beef prices in the grocery stores keep going up. Fortunately I still have some butcher steers left that I get $2.50 per pound hanging weight. And thats cheap too.
If we have a good winter with lots of snow, followed by a spring with some rain, I'll start buying cattle again next summer.
I hope this economy dosent put all the smaller businesses out. If enough of them go under then meat prices will skyrocket and stay up for good.

Latest posts

Back