Food Preservation Process & Materials: A Few Questions

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brison

Reaction score
I wanted to get some insight from those who have experience in storing food. Specifically, what is the best way to preserve food purchased from the store? I really haven't gotten into canning nor do I have the money and supplies right now to get into doing that. I also do not have a dehydrator. Right now my best option is to purchase food from the store or bulk wholesale stores such as Costco and Sam's. I have a few questions about the method by which someone should best preserve these types of items. I have the 5 gallon buckets, I have the oxygen absorbers, and I have a nice cool, constant temperature location for these buckets. I've also heard about using mylar bags. However, what is the best way to use these items? I should note that I do have a FoodSaver vacuum sealing machine.

If an item is already packaged, should the packaging be removed, placed in a mylar bag, and then placed in the bucket? I'm a bit confused as to when to use the mylar bags and when not to. So far I've just been placing as many items in each bucket as I can, adding the appropriate amount of oxygen absorbers, and then sealing the bucket with a lid. I also write the bucket's contents and expiration date on the top of the lid. With such things as large bags of rice, I have opened the bags and poured the contents directly into the (food grade) bucket along with oxygen absorbers. When should the mylar bags come into play? Do they need oxygen aborbers as well and then add more absorbers to the bucket that they go in? Is it better to put canned goods in buckets as well so they don't oxidize or are they ok being left out of the buckets as long as they are in a cool dry place? I could definitely save a lot of bucket space if I didn't have to seal the canned goods as well. However, I look at it as either doing something right or not doing it at all.

I wanted to get some insight from those who have experience in storing food. Specifically, what is the best way to preserve food purchased from the store? I really haven't gotten into canning nor do I have the money and supplies right now to get into doing that. I also do not have a dehydrator. Right now my best option is to purchase food from the store or bulk wholesale stores such as Costco and Sam's. I have a few questions about the method by which someone should best preserve these types of items. I have the 5 gallon buckets, I have the oxygen absorbers, and I have a nice cool, constant temperature location for these buckets. I've also heard about using mylar bags. However, what is the best way to use these items? I should note that I do have a FoodSaver vacuum sealing machine.

If an item is already packaged, should the packaging be removed, placed in a mylar bag, and then placed in the bucket? I'm a bit confused as to when to use the mylar bags and when not to. So far I've just been placing as many items in each bucket as I can, adding the appropriate amount of oxygen absorbers, and then sealing the bucket with a lid. I also write the bucket's contents and expiration date on the top of the lid. With such things as large bags of rice, I have opened the bags and poured the contents directly into the (food grade) bucket along with oxygen absorbers. When should the mylar bags come into play? Do they need oxygen aborbers as well and then add more absorbers to the bucket that they go in? Is it better to put canned goods in buckets as well so they don't oxidize or are they ok being left out of the buckets as long as they are in a cool dry place? I could definitely save a lot of bucket space if I didn't have to seal the canned goods as well. However, I look at it as either doing something right or not doing it at all.
Glad your taking food seriously as it might save your neck one day. The first thing I advise is only buy the foods you eat, and actually eat the foods you buy. I know this contradicts the long term storage thing, but trust me, it's a smart way to not waste food. The rice and beans should go into Mylar bags with oxy absorbers and buckets. Canned goods just go on a shelf, but carefully rotated to avoid expiring. You can eat canned goods way after the expiration date, but why if you don't have to. I love the food saver but it's mostly to keep things fresh for me in the fridge and freezer.

what brent says..buy what you eat,and eat what you buy.and rotate.as for canning supplies goes..i have at least most of what i need when it comes to that.take the pressure cannier i have,for example.as some,if not most here..i live on a budget as well.so i waited until i had the money for one.then i started buying the other items when i had the lil extra money..

as for as the bags of rice,beans,pasta and other dry foods goes..and if i remember right.some simply poke a hole or cut a slit in the bag.then place it into the proper bucket(s),then include the oxygen absorber(s),then the lid..and of course.diff food items goes into each bucket..this way,all you have to do.is get only one bucket out at a time..

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back