Food insecurity

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I went to an Aldi grocery store today. Don’t know how widespread they are across the country but their prices are better than Walmart’s and their produce is way better. I got a jar of beets for $1.50 today. I can’t grow, process and can them for anywhere near that low of a price. Right now it’s still cheaper to buy food than grow it in most cases. (Of course that dosent count towards freshness and flavor). I am afraid though in the not so far off future knowing how to grow your own food won’t just be economical but just may keep you fed too.

I went to an Aldi grocery store today. Don’t know how widespread they are across the country but their prices are better than Walmart’s and their produce is way better. I got a jar of beets for $1.50 today. I can’t grow, process and can them for anywhere near that low of a price. Right now it’s still cheaper to buy food than grow it in most cases. (Of course that dosent count towards freshness and flavor). I am afraid though in the not so far off future knowing how to grow your own food won’t just be economical but just may keep you fed too.

Aldi has done a shift in purchasing and store stocking in the last year - not bringing in almost nothing from overseas anymore - used to get in products from their sister ops in europe >>> realy concentrating on the basics and keeping the pricing down ....

I can say that feed for all the animals has gone up by $2 for a 50lb bag. That is for all. . . cows, goats, pigs, and chickens. As for the grocery store, I have seen the prices going up and eventually I foresee hyperinflation happening. Is it going to be as bad as Venezuela? I doubt it, but it wouldn't surprise me if we stay on the track we are currently going down.

I have always promoted growing and raising as much as you can, even during the good times and learn how to preserve your excess with canning, dehydrating and if your are lucky enough, freeze dry. Stock up on things you can't while on sale. Learn to cook, for those that don't. It is much cheaper and healthier.

I went to an Aldi grocery store today. Don’t know how widespread they are across the country but their prices are better than Walmart’s and their produce is way better.

We have Aldis here in The Peoples Republik of Kalifornia. Their prices are competitive on some items. The produce quantity and quality varies week to week.

Last edited:
The Aldiss nearest me is about 35 miles away so I don’t go there often, only when convenient. I have been twice in the last month and did notice several items were different or gone from the last trip. I got some lamb chops before and went specifically for more of them as they were so good and reasonably priced. Unfortunately not a one was in sight this trip. I wasn’t aware how the items could change before but the prices were still better than Wally World.

Last time I heard of Aldi's possible coming to our town was last year I think it was during a store meeting but it has yet to happen as far as I know. We would be their competition if they did. This last holiday of St Patrick Day would have been a good idea to buy cabbage for example. To make sauerkraut. Also a good buy around New Years.

I only go supermarket shopping once a month, its a 40 mile round trip, its mainly for canned and packaged goods, everything else I can get within 1 mile of home, we dont eat supermarket meat but get it delivered straight from the farm, good quality meat not the supermarket rubbish.

we were going weekly before the pandemic, then when the virus hit stayed home for 3 months only going to the corner store for essential supplies, since the last lock down started last year its only one person per household allowed in the supermarket, thats the store rules. we have realised we dont need to go that often, it was only really for cans and packaged stuff, so even after the pandemic is over will still only be going monthly. its a 40 mile round trip which takes an hour and a half plus the time actually in the store.

Even though I live fairly rural I drive really long distances for work. I’d say we average at least 4+ hours of driving each day, sometimes 9 or so. That puts me near many grocery stores while out so picking things up is pretty easy and convenient. I keep a list on my phone app for everything I think of needing or when I pull something out of the pantry. up to now I really have only gone out in public for work or the grocery, but now that I’ve had the first jab I will begin to venture out more once the two or three weeks for immunity kick in.

Aldi and Lidl are our first choice of supermarkets, We used to use Sainsburies and Asda but fropped the former over their PRO EU stance and Asda after Walmart bought it. But we still do our huge great annual stock up shopping at Cash n Carries where we bulk buy all the essentials.

Latest posts

Back