Food for Thought - Literally - Minnesota Starvation Experiment

Doomsday Prepper Forums

Help Support Doomsday Prepper Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks for the intel,
'cause of this I checked how to make my own jerky,tomorrow shopping,then it's jerky-makeing time

Last edited:
no problem. just means you need to ensure you have meat.

not that i'm gonna complain :)

oh one more thing. I've been trying to survive on my canned food the last week or so and the lack of fiber is an issue.

rice and beans might sound good but keep fibres like chia seeds handy. Never know when you will need to detox

now trying to make my own jerky,I'll let you know if it tastes good or...

oh one more thing. I've been trying to survive on my canned food the last week or so and the lack of fiber is an issue.

rice and beans might sound good but keep fibres like chia seeds handy. Never know when you will need to detox

Got any canned fruit in there? That should help keep you flowing, so to speak. My grandfather/camping teacher always said "A regular camper is a happy camper..."

now trying to make my own jerky,I'll let you know if it tastes good or...
I'm not a huge fan of veneson, until I started making jerky with it! I use a tiny bit of smoke flavoring, some tereaki and soy sauce, pepper and some onion powder. Let it soak for about two hours and pat dry before laying it out in your dehydrator. Everyone I've shared this with wanted to buy some! Check it often because there's a thin line between perfect and too dry/crispy.

In our sustainability planning, chicken and rabbits, so far, are the main idea (along with the eggs from said chickens)...for protein.

However, other less traditional sources include birds, snakes, and frogs...all of which are quite abundant here, and probably even moreso after SHTF. Sure, they may not be the best, but they will be ready sources of protein. And, I imagine we'll come up with some creative ways to have them. I'm trying to get the wife on board with trying some of it now...but so far, she isn't biting. Food snobs.....

In our sustainability planning, chicken and rabbits, so far, are the main idea (along with the eggs from said chickens)...for protein.

However, other less traditional sources include birds, snakes, and frogs...all of which are quite abundant here, and probably even moreso after SHTF. Sure, they may not be the best, but they will be ready sources of protein. And, I imagine we'll come up with some creative ways to have them. I'm trying to get the wife on board with trying some of it now...but so far, she isn't biting. Food snobs.....
I was impressed that I got my wife to taste the barbecued rabbit! She didn't eat it, but did taste it at least. She wouldn't even come downstairs when I cooked two chickens a little while back. I am confident though that most people will broaden their culinary tastes when they get hungry enough. You did just remind me that I need to stock up on spices! Nothing worse than unseasoned varmint!

"It's all about the spices. A man can live from here until judgement day as long as he has enough rosemary..."

actually on top of stocking up on spices, might be prudent to grow some of the spice/herbs you use. I think over there, you should be able to grow rosemary, thyme, dill, sage etc comfortably.

i am trying to grow mint, chilli, peppers etc.

on top of that, SALT ... salt is so important!

Interesting study Myrrph! That is a low calorie intake for most, even vegetarians eat around 2500 calories a day. I hope I don't have a protein problem in a long term situation, cause some days I crave my red meats. I use TexJoy Teriyaki Worcestershire and Tigar Sauce to marinade steaks for the BBQ and also for jerky. Seasoning is the key to make a bland food taste really good, so yes stock on up!

actually on top of stocking up on spices, might be prudent to grow some of the spice/herbs you use. I think over there, you should be able to grow rosemary, thyme, dill, sage etc comfortably.

i am trying to grow mint, chilli, peppers etc.

on top of that, SALT ... salt is so important!
I grow parsley dill cilantro rosemary basil tarragon oregano thyme garlic onion and also a variety of peppers. You can use fresh and collect seeds to replant the next spring and dry the leaves to store before the frost sets in. My parsley rosemary and cilantro will survive the winter and my dill reseeds itself. The others need to be replanted every year.

this reminds me..i need more seeds..i do have some for municipal purposes and one or two might be good for spices..so i need to get some spices.

yes,the best spice seem to be hunger but everything else is just + , mu basil is makeing good progress,parsley same, have rosemary at my garden with some other herbs, oh please summer I'm waiting so much.
read an interesting news article today,apparently EU is planning a new rule abt seeds,in the future one could only buy seeds from stocks that are controlled and you could only use seeds like that for planting purpose,use anything else and it's criminal,so if I grow peppers and take the seeds and plant them next year,gee that's criminal,well you have your federal problems,we have those glorious dummies in brussels ;)

guess we need to start hiding our gardens underground with our weapons and ammo..LOL

jerky turned out to be gooooood,now need to plan for my next batch :)

You did just remind me that I need to stock up on spices! Nothing worse than unseasoned varmint!

An excellent point. We're planning a combination medicinal/herb garden (mostly because many have dual uses). We already grow some medicinals along the edge of the house, but want to expand it. Did you know it is perfectly legal to grow poppies? Just illegal to make opium from them. Of course, post SHTF, that goes out the window, so we're definitely adding these to the garden.

Latest posts

Back